Why is there no major DCI show in the west?

Why should it be a rarity for the G8 to go west? Two of the G8 (SCV and BD) go east EVERY year. I'm not really sure what time zones have to do with anything.

I assume that it is a logistical nightmare. But why does a G8 corps need to go? Didnt need to in the 90's...let alone 2.

I assume that it is a logistical nightmare. But why does a G8 corps need to go? Didnt need to in the 90's...let alone 2.

How are you going to have a major show in the west if the G8 doesn't go?

Why should it be a rarity for the G8 to go west? Two of the G8 (SCV and BD) go east EVERY year. I'm not really sure what time zones have to do with anything.

Time zones have nothing to do with it in drum corps. That's why I posted somewhat sarcastically if we could only afford to fly DCI corps to show venues.

Time zones have nothing to do with it in drum corps. That's why I posted somewhat sarcastically if we could only afford to fly DCI corps to show venues.

Oh ... I get it. It would be a nice problem to have to worry about, wouldn't it?

• Like 1

We have DCI west out here?

Most of the reason is because the schedule has shows on both coasts at the same time, so a corps can either have their spring training near their home base, and start shows there, or travel out to the west coast to start there. And when you're hosting shows, it would probably not be good to not be there.

Another reason is the distribution of corps. In world class, there are 4 corps in california, 1 in arizona, 1 in washington, and 1 in colorado. That's 7 out of 22, so less than a third. It's easier for them to travel east than have everyone else go west, especially because the west coast corps seem to be the ones with the most secure financial footing

We have DCI west out here?

Most of the reason is because the schedule has shows on both coasts at the same time, so a corps can either have their spring training near their home base, and start shows there, or travel out to the west coast to start there. And when you're hosting shows, it would probably not be good to not be there.

Another reason is the distribution of corps. In world class, there are 4 corps in california, 1 in arizona, 1 in washington, and 1 in colorado. That's 7 out of 22, so less than a third. It's easier for them to travel east than have everyone else go west, especially because the west coast corps seem to be the ones with the most secure financial footing

But no one comes to DCI west. It just seems like there is a lot of untapped potential to grow the fan base in the west.

If each corps is responsible for their own financials, why is it any different for 15 corps to come west than for 7 corps to go east? BD has to pay the same amount of money to travel from California to Atlanta whether there is 7 corps going with them or 15. In fact, if there are more corps traveling west, they might be able to share costs more easily than if there is only 7.

I imagine its more expensive to go East to West to East during the season that West to East during the season, and then back West after the season with a smaller convoy and fewer expenses.

Exactly. And if they decided to go east, west, east, it would probably require dci changing the schedules around like they did in 2007. The regional schedule seems pretty fixed, and it's easier to book something multiple times when it's always the same weekend

I imagine its more expensive to go East to West to East during the season that West to East during the season, and then back West after the season with a smaller convoy and fewer expenses.

Why? What is different about a long trip at the beginning of the season, as opposed to at the end of the season. All the equipment and uniforms have to be transported either way.

I could very well be missing something here, since I don't have any direct experience marching in a corps. Is there some reason why traveling to the west would be more expensive than traveling home from the east?

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 1

But no one comes to DCI west. It just seems like there is a lot of untapped potential to grow the fan base in the west.

If each corps is responsible for their own financials, why is it any different for 15 corps to come west than for 7 corps to go east? BD has to pay the same amount of money to travel from California to Atlanta whether there is 7 corps going with them or 15. In fact, if there are more corps traveling west, they might be able to share costs more easily than if there is only 7.

You ever been to DCI west? It's a huge show, I go every year. It's not a regional, but it draws a, lot of corps and a lot of fans. This year, phantom and boston came out for it. Last year, cadets and phantom made the trip. I think crown is the only corps to never come out west during the regular season from the top 12

Because scv and bd are probably the two most financially sound corps in dci, and besides blue knights, every other west coast corps follows a more limited touring model to keep costs low.

And isn't 7 less than 15?