West Chester Shenanigans

Crossmen have come a long, long way. I bet if they haven't been out of the game for so long they would be securely over BK right now.

There are so many shows where the Bones go on over an hour before the corps in the lower part of the top 12. This was a rare show where they performed back to back with either the Blue Knights or the Blue Stars.

The idea of bunching corps together by their position at the end of last year is to give judges a look at similar ranked corps within a decent timeframe of each other. But, the Crossmen have jumped so many spots, where they have to perform in most shows vs. where they rank NOW is often a disconnect.

Crazy, Crazy Recap:

Cavies beat Crown in Percussion

Cavies beat Cadets AND SCV in brass, didnt think i saw that one coming. Honestly of all the captions this would not be the one i would've thought.

Some random thoughts from the show. Btw, I was on like the 5 yrd line and am a visual person.

Happy to see my Crossmen moving so well again! thumbup.gif The guard is great and the corps itself is finally marching like they should after many years that seemed to be lacking. Still not sure I love the ending, but they are so much closer to a top 12 corps than they have been in quite a while. Their recent guard scores where they were beating Cavies are accurate. Their guard is cleaner. I think it is a matter of time at this point for Crossmen. Is there enough time left in the season to move up a spot or two, or not? Only time will tell. crazy things have happened with that corps in the last days of tour before, so anything is possible.

Loved the visual program for Vanguard and wished they had been able to perform the show twice just so I could see it again.

I wish the Cadets had the Xmas box segment in the corner staged closer to the corps. They seemed to be miles away from my side of the field. Cadets had some late horn releases tonight. Now, I'm a guard person, so it has to be really obvious for me to notice a bad release. There were two that i heard.

I haven't followed any corps much this year, but I heard some about the issues with Cavies drill and placement. Their show is fine for a top 12 show. However, it isn't fine for a Cavaliers show. The drill isnt doing them any favors. The guard was very dirty tonight too. There were 4-5 rifle drops that I saw, and some timing issues in the ensemble flag parts. Not the Cavies I had hoped to see. sad.gif I was actually sad for the members because I'm sure some of them have had a dream of doing their age out in a phenomenal Cavies show. I'm disappointed for them that they didn't get the design product that they went there for. I'm sure they are having fun performing (at least it looks that way) but it has to be disappointing or bittersweet for the age outs since this is clearly an unusual year for them.

Edited by kac
  • Like 1

Cavies beat Cadets AND SCV in brass, didnt think i saw that one coming. Honestly of all the captions this would not be the one i would've thought.

Yeah, definitely seems unlikely. Guess it was a tough night for Cadets on the field

Edited by Kevin.

Yeah, definitely seems unlikely. Guess it was a tough night for Cadets on the field

A few hours before the show, Hopkins put an extensive list of show changes that they they were working into the show tonight on Facebook.

Some random thoughts from the show. Btw, I was on like the 5 yrd line and am a visual person.

Happy to see my Crossmen moving so well again! thumbup.gif The guard is great and the corps itself is finally marching like they should after many years that seemed to be lacking. Still not sure I love the ending, but they are so much closer to a top 12 corps than they have been in quite a while. Their recent guard scores where they were beating Cavies are accurate. Their guard is cleaner. I think it is a matter of time at this point for Crossmen. Is there enough time left in the season to move up a spot or two, or not? Only time will tell. crazy things have happened with that corps in the last days of tour before, so anything is possible.

Loved the visual program for Vanguard and wished they had been able to perform the show twice just so I could see it again.

I wish the Cadets had the Xmas box segment in the corner staged closer to the corps. They seemed to be miles away from my side of the field. Cadets had some late horn releases tonight. Now, I'm a guard person, so it has to be really obvious for me to notice a bad release. There were two that i heard.

I haven't followed any corps much this year, but I heard some about the issues with Cavies drill and placement. Their show is fine for a top 12 show. However, it isn't fine for a Cavaliers show. The drill isnt doing them any favors. The guard was very dirty tonight too. There were 4-5 rifle drops that I saw, and some timing issues in the ensemble flag parts. Not the Cavies I had hoped to see. sad.gif I was actually sad for the members because I'm sure some of them have had a dream of doing their age out in a phenomenal Cavies show. I'm disappointed for them that they didn't get the design product that they went there for. I'm sure they are having fun performing (at least it looks that way) but it has to be disappointing or bittersweet for the age outs since this is clearly an unusual year for them.

FYI...Cavies guard beat Crossmen tonight with what you called a "dirty" performance (17.1 v 16.7). If you look at the recap Crossmen guard is outperforming their own guard book 8.3 substance v 8.4 achievement. Usually not a good thing when the second number is higher then the Content.

And no offense, how can anyone accurately judge the corps from the 5 yard line?

No need to feel disappointed for the Cavies ageouts, im sure they'll have alot more memories then where 2012 placed.

Edited by GREENBLUE

Thanks, I was posting that in response to questions/comments from earlier in the week and last week. I'm surprised with Cavies guard score tonight. The opener flag work was dirty and there were lots of drops in the multi colored rifle section. They were picking up far too much equipment off the ground for August. It wasn't a solid Cavies guard performance like I would expect in any other year.That's all. Hopefully they will catch everything when I see them again!

Eta, you kind of can tell dirt when a shiny colored rifle is in the ground and not in someone's hand. That's easy to see from any seat.

I know they will remember much more than their placement. I just wanted so much more for them, that's all. They are one of my favorite corps.

Edited by kac
  • Like 1

Wow, Crown got a 9.8 in content in brass and a 9.6 in performance!!! Will they get a perfect score come finals!! thumbup.gif

• Like 4

I wish the Cadets had the Xmas box segment in the corner staged closer to the corps. They seemed to be miles away from my side of the field.

Seems to be the year of putting the guard waaaaay over on the side of the field.