If You Could See any Three Sr/All-Age Shows

And what George said earlier... the entire 1972 DCA Finals, in particular the top five from that night. One of the greatest shows in the history of drum corps.

• Like 1

Before my time, but the first drum corps album I ever bought was a 3-record set of the 63 Dream (it was in a 50-cent bin at a show I attended around 1968), and I loved both Sky and the Cabs, so that is two of the three. Also 78 Sunrisers, my favorite DCA corps of the 70's.

1977 Rhode Island Matadors, at the Madison Square Garden show. I saw it that night... would love to see it again. One of the most electrifying performances ever. The Mats #### near tore the roof off the Garden that night. "Roaring standing ovations" would be an understatement of the audience's reaction to that performance.

It's a story I tell every now and then but since you know the guy.... :tongue:

Paul Gieger and I go to 1977 pre-season show at Danville. RI had an off year in 1976 for them and Westshore was on the way up (11th in 1976 DCA). Westshore couldn't make the Danville show due to one of the bands going to the Indy 500 and Larry didn't want our debut show to be hol(e)y. One of the things we wanted to see was if Matadors were still "down" and how that compared to our improvement. So four of us including my soon to be ex-girlfriend pile in my Mustang II (gad what a tight fit) and go to Danville.

Mats come out with the "Spanish bedclothes" unis and we snickered. Then the show kicked off and our jaws hit the ground. We were sitting next to bottom row in stands that were litterally sitting on the ground. Bottom row people had their feet on the same level as the field. So end of the Rodeo opening we had screaming sops coming RIGHT at us and bells at face peeling level.

Paul and I just looked at each other for a bit then..... "ain't gonna beat 'em this year"... :blink:

Still one of my favorite DC memories..... 77 and 78 shows are on YouTube (can say that now) and watch 'em every now and then.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

I know it's supposed be 3 but I think I'll write 3 i saw and 3 i wish i had.

3 I'd love to see again.(Redundancey alert)

1. '92 Bush prelims (OMG)

2. '76 Cabs finals

3. tie, Yank/Reb '69 AL Nats. (saw 'em from the sideline) '80 Reading finals

3 I missed

1. '86 Bush

2. '75 Sky

3. One of the years Sun won and Frank P. was soloist. (I missed the early/mid '80's)

ionalJust Some SR's I would like to see again:

1969 Yankee Rebels at The Dream (Liked that one better than at Atlanta. Saw Both)

1975 New York City Skyliners at DCA (also at The Dream. Hard to say which was better)

1980 Reading Bucaneers at DCA

1990 Empire Statesmen at DCA RegionL, Scranton,PA

2009 Empire Statesmen (out of many, ONE America)

I put just "one" for Each Decade. That I Competed in Drum Corps.

(and that was Hard)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

I think 1990 was in Allentown, but Empire lit up the spot either way.

• Like 1

Also 78 Sunrisers, my favorite DCA corps of the 70's.

I have always known Mike Davis to have impeccable taste. :tongue:

I think 1990 was in Allentown, but Empire lit up the spot either way.

Yes you are Right. DCA Championships were in Allentown.

The show I am talking about was sponsored by District American Legion in Scranton. I believe many did call it a DCA Regional.

And Yes, Empire DID win the FANS a lot that year.

• Like 1

1965 Grey Knight Crusaders - a show I never saw but have always wished that I had.

1969 Yankee Rebels - a show for the ages. Saw them at DCA that year.

1972 Skyliners - competed against them several times and they scared the *&*^ out of me:)) What a sound.

• Like 1