If You Could See any Three Sr/All-Age Shows

1965 Grey Knight Crusaders - a show I never saw but have always wished that I had.

1969 Yankee Rebels - a show for the ages. Saw them at DCA that year.

1972 Skyliners - competed against them several times and they scared the *&*^ out of me:)) What a sound.

I feel truly blessed (or just OLD) as the vast majority of people mention at least one show that I marched in. Seriously guys, it makes the memories sweeter...

'65 Grey Knight Post Crusaders - amazing experience for an 18 year old kid

'68 Syracuse Brigadiers - what a horn line, as much as I loved my Crusaders, the 5 seasons spent at HOME with the Brigadiers just seemed right to me - must have been my upbringing in central NY

'72 Rochester Crusaders - WOW... and that included three most memorable performance: Racine WI exhibition the night after I witnessed DCI #1 in Whitewater, Legion Nationals at Soldier Field Chicago and DCA Championships at Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City, NJ

1965 Grey Knight Crusaders - a show I never saw but have always wished that I had.

1969 Yankee Rebels - a show for the ages. Saw them at DCA that year.

1972 Skyliners - competed against them several times and they scared the *&*^ out of me:)) What a sound.

Thanks to Haas family I have 3 of the shows mentioned on DVD... :worthy:

72 DCA - Skyliners and Crusaders

69 Dream - Yankee Rebels

Once in a while I'll crank one or both of the DCA shows in the TV....

Biggest problem is the Dream show was taken fron the corner and it threw off the sound. The balance between the halves of the horn line playing different songs is off.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1981 Hurcs, Sun, Bucs,

and Sky and Cabs if I can have 2 more.

A very competitive year with great shows by all.

Could someone explain what was special about the 1992 prelims in particular for Bushwackers, that several people have praised? I tried searching these forums for commentary about that performance, but came up empty. I skimmed their entry in the History of Drum & Bugle Corps Part 2 book and it says nothing about the prelims performance that year.

Thanks to Haas family I have 3 of the shows mentioned on DVD... :worthy:/>

Biggest problem is the Dream show was taken fron the corner and it threw off the sound. The balance between the halves of the horn line playing different songs is off.

Jim ... I spoke with the Hass's several times before they passed on about their recording technique ... while it is true that the video was shot on an angle, the speakers recording the sound were on the field - right next to Fleetwood ...

My tapes of the 69 and 70 Skyliners audio is fine ... may you just got a bad recording ...

Andy

Jim ... I spoke with the Hass's several times before they passed on about their recording technique ... while it is true that the video was shot on an angle, the speakers recording the sound were on the field - right next to Fleetwood ...

My tapes of the 69 and 70 Skyliners audio is fine ... may you just got a bad recording ...

Andy

Interesting, thanks Andy.... Will have to listen/watch again sometime with this in mind. Maybe I just expected to hear both sides better and this is the way it sounded anyway. There are some bad spots visually where the picture freezes or breaks up a bit but with tape that had been in storage that long it's not a surprise. And man the sun hitting the white uniforms makes the marchers look like little white blobs at times but still a fun watch. LOL, also have Hurrcs from this show which is a blast to watch too.

Of course I could always rewatch Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots at 1970 DCA Prelims. Not that it would be on my top 3 list but interesting from a historic aspect of a corps that came in 11th. Just too bad there's no concert number. :sad:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Could someone explain what was special about the 1992 prelims in particular for Bushwackers, that several people have praised? I tried searching these forums for commentary about that performance, but came up empty. I skimmed their entry in the History of Drum & Bugle Corps Part 2 book and it says nothing about the prelims performance that year.

it was one of those shows that just sucked you in...you forgot about everything else but the corps on the field in front of you...something I have only experienced 3 times in my life ( 96 Phantom and 08 Phantom being the others).

The quality was there in performance.The emotion was there. it was flawless and IMO underscored. Even old timers who didn't like Bush for being "too DCI-like" at the time were awed. It was quite honestly the greatest DCA corps performance I have ever seen.

Interesting, thanks Andy.... Will have to listen/watch again sometime with this in mind. Maybe I just expected to hear both sides better and this is the way it sounded anyway. There are some bad spots visually where the picture freezes or breaks up a bit but with tape that had been in storage that long it's not a surprise. And man the sun hitting the white uniforms makes the marchers look like little white blobs at times but still a fun watch. LOL, also have Hurrcs from this show which is a blast to watch too.

Of course I could always rewatch Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots at 1970 DCA Prelims. Not that it would be on my top 3 list but interesting from a historic aspect of a corps that came in 11th. Just too bad there's no concert number. :sad:/>/>

dad said he liked watching the show with no concert better than playing the show with concert

Edited by Jeff Ream

dad said he liked watching the show with no concert better than playing the show with concert

At least he wasn't the poor bugger carrying the doubles. Look like a pair of rudimental basses with the bottom head taken off. And pretty sure we used them in parades in 1974 but can't remember the field show. Note to self: also check 74 Carlisle DVD....

Wow.... name just popped in... played by Terry Hertzler(?).... one of the Keystone Kavaliers IIRC.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

it was one of those shows that just sucked you in...you forgot about everything else but the corps on the field in front of you...something I have only experienced 3 times in my life ( 96 Phantom and 08 Phantom being the others).

The quality was there in performance.The emotion was there. it was flawless and IMO underscored. Even old timers who didn't like Bush for being "too DCI-like" at the time were awed. It was quite honestly the greatest DCA corps performance I have ever seen.

From a biased member of the corps that was second...Jeff is correct on this. I will also tell you that Empire had a great run at prelims as well...until the last minute when the tragedy of a ripped huge American flag sealed our fate even before they went on. But watching that show from the stands licking my wounds, I was totally blown away by the Bushwackers, whom at that time I respected, but wasnt competitvely fond of.

DA