Dear Show Designers

I think that the video game stuff is treading dangerously close to what we have now. I suspect it's only cool if you like video games, otherwise it comes off as unremarkable orchestral music, in my opinion.

Let's get out of the box a bit.

I think the message of the thread is getting lost a bit.

• Like 1

I think the message of the thread is getting lost a bit.

Yeah, my point was not to rehash the "Music Corps Should Do" thread (which is still out there), but rather to encourage designers to push in a certain more-accessible direction.

POP is OK, gang!

why not POP music AND thousands of composer that have yet to be included in a drum corps show ...

I'm sorry, whitedawn, for derailing your thread into a gaming music thread.

(when I get into gaming music, I can't even keep straight who STARTED this thread...LOL)

Edited by RockyGranite

I think that the video game stuff is treading dangerously close to what we have now. I suspect it's only cool if you like video games, otherwise it comes off as unremarkable orchestral music, in my opinion.

Let's get out of the box a bit.

Fair enough . . .although I suppose the point there is that for the most part, that sort of stuff is *still* looked down on in the idiom, since it isn't "Official Wind Ensemble Release #42" from "SaMichaelDavid DaughtreyHazoHolsinger", but, as you've pointed out already, it isn't that far of a stretch from what gets on the field now.

Fair enough . . .although I suppose the point there is that for the most part, that sort of stuff is *still* looked down on in the idiom, since it isn't "Official Wind Ensemble Release #42" from "SaMichaelDavid DaughtreyHazoHolsinger", but, as you've pointed out already, it isn't that far of a stretch from what gets on the field now.

I wish I could mash a Like button over and over for this.

Video game music is the new movie soundtrack. It's where all the fresh, up and coming composers are working, and where Hollywood is finding it's new blood. There's some incredible music being made in gaming, and it has variety no other genre can match.

Truth.

As a non-gamer, none of that music really struck me as anything too much different from stuff we see today, except for it has... melody!

Imagine what is possible with this sort of music!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeaVfVhq1AE

• Like 1