Neutrality

I've concluded over the past few years that neutrality is almost completely gone from DCI. It's even evident with DCI's own media and press that favorites are picked. I'm even looking at the card inside my 2011 DCI Championships DVD and bias is shown.

Agree or Disagree? You decide

Edited by TimbreDeBrass
  • Like 7

I mean, there are certain things that occur to suggest that, but at the end of the day, everyone is interested, performing, and works in this activity because they enjoy it. I guess it depends on how you're looking at the goal of the activity. To provide a quality arts education? No bias. Results? Possible bias.

I've concluded over the past few years that neutrality is almost completely gone from DCI. It's even evident with DCI's own media and press that favorites are picked. I'm even looking at the card inside my 2011 DCI Championships DVD and bias is shown.

I can see the headline now: "At DCI we have the best non-competitive corps in the activity! Come see it live and pay $125 for the experience!"

Yeah, that'll bring 'em in.

And to call Mike Boo's DVD liner notes not neutral is disgraceful. Nobody I know publicly professes his pride in all performers better than Boo does.

• Like 4

ATTENTION... ATTENTION MICHAEL BOO... I think he means you. :tongue:

If you mean treating all corps equally, some may be more equal than others, but good luck getting consensus on who is treated more equally than others in this or any other competitive endeavor, and good luck in your quest for utopia.

• Like 1

Biases? Sure, but I'm not anywhere close to convinced that this translates into the outright nefarious back room "planning" about where corps are going to place that many here would have you believe. Corps placing in generally the same spots has much more to do with talent and the best design teams being focused at the top year after year than anything else.

• Like 2

What bias is shown in the DVD you are looking at? Be specific.

• Like 4

Drum corps spectators would do well to observe Hunter S. Thompson's theories on objectivity, namely that the presence of one individual--any individual--inherently removes the possibility of true objectivity regarding any subject. Drum corps will always be a subjective activity. If you can't let go of that, I'd suggest you take up something more straightforward, like baseball or bowling.

Drum corps spectators would do well to observe Hunter S. Thompson's theories on objectivity, namely that the presence of one individual--any individual--inherently removes the possibility of true objectivity regarding any subject. Drum corps will always be a subjective activity. If you can't let go of that, I'd suggest you take up something more straightforward, like baseball or bowling.

here we go, more Boo bashing.

here's a hint...

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T READ IT

• Like 1

here we go, more Boo bashing.

here's a hint...

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T READ IT

I'm sorry, this wasn't meant as an insult against Mr. Boo. His writings are fantastic and I've been reading them since he wrote about my band at BOA Grand National Finals 11 years ago. I truly enjoy reading what Michael Boo has to say about drum corps.

But I would be lying if I said I didn't have a bias ingrained into me as a trained human being of the activity's establishment that I didn't have a particular perspective on things. Mr. Boo's writings are so oft cited because they are clear, concise, and eloquent without being overtly elegiac. I would hate for anyone to interpret my statement as something negative about his publishings; I think it is just short-sighted to assume that anyone is capable of producing thoughtless, robotic analysis which we are interested in reading. Mr. Boo is capable of far more than translating recaps into newspeak.