Corrupt Judging In DCI?

No corruption, EVER! Never has been and never will be. If you really believe this happens you simply don't know this profession. Judges in the music industry (band, corps, choir, concert band, jazz), take great pride in being professional, adjudicating appropriately, and calling it the way they see it.

You may not like their opinion on a show, or you may have issues with the sheets, but the people behind those green shirts are outstanding. Unless you or anyone else has proof that such a thing takes place I think it's a waste of time to post such hogwash.

Yes, rumors happen, conspiracy is always out there, lots of people simply do not understand how it works. That's their problem.

• Like 2

This is what I was saying about good open conversation. It took about 5 pages to get here.

• Like 2

what system is perfect out of the chute?

40 years of system change - If it were all about business - it would be out of business,

• Like 1

No corruption, EVER! Never has been and never will be. If you really believe this happens you simply don't know this profession. Judges in the music industry (band, corps, choir, concert band, jazz), take great pride in being professional, adjudicating appropriately, and calling it the way they see it.

You may not like their opinion on a show, or you may have issues with the sheets, but the people behind those green shirts are outstanding. Unless you or anyone else has proof that such a thing takes place I think it's a waste of time to post such hogwash.

Yes, rumors happen, conspiracy is always out there, lots of people simply do not understand how it works. That's their problem.

Be careful with absolutes. I'm not saying you are wrong... I'm just saying that this is now big business - things and agendas do tend to appear when the purse gets bigger.

• Like 2

I don't think there's any collusion or anything like that, but isn't it a pretty well known fact certain judges almost always score certain corps higher or lower, year after year? Marie C. and Phantom Regiment comes to mind immediately.

Remember, there's enough bias built-in to the system that George Hopkins asked that corps be allowed to *vote* on which judges they want to see.

Mike

I don't think there's any collusion or anything like that, but isn't it a pretty well known fact certain judges almost always score certain corps higher or lower, year after year? Marie C. and Phantom Regiment comes to mind immediately.

Remember, there's enough bias built-in to the system that George Hopkins asked that corps be allowed to *vote* on which judges they want to see.

Mike

exactly...

• Like 1

all this debate on judges.. What would be nice for a change is some insight into commentary/critique of the Corps from the judges as a way to educate us who have never march what to look for and give some meaning behind the judges score. I know I would love to see judges response to shows they are judging.

Just goes to show you, if you repeat a lie often enough, people will start to believe it. :rolleyes:

Actually, when folks like George Hopkins request judges - It turns into the perception of a lie and corruption. That has been happening for a long time. Same with other corps. I'm not saying it is an issue to favor judges but it is an issue to request favoritism.

Insight into commentary/critique of the Corps from the judges. This is actually another major issue. These comments/critiques should either be written for ALL corps to see, spoke open forum with all corps present (which would be a pain - but it would solve perception) OR not at all. Individual critiques also foster a sense of favoritism.

• Like 2

Does it ever occur to anyone that some people don't have "favorite corps" but rather they just have "favorite shows"?

Because I normally love the cavaliers but I rather dislike them this year.

Do you think the maybe your favorite corps might just be the Cavaliers, but you aren't connecting with them this season?