Corrupt Judging In DCI?

When you're out on tour you quickly find out that most corps believe there are one or two or more judges that hold "grudges" or are "out to get them". Usually it's the marchers, volunteers, and . . . simpler members of the staff that believe this sort of thing. Though sometimes people who should know better by into it as well.

DCI judging can be flawed, but it's not corrupt. Those are two very different things.

• Like 3

I work hard to stir the pot or kick an ant hill. This topic has actually bothered me for years and I still hear the same mess. I'm just lobbing the question out there and looking for answers. If it is BIG FOOT, I would like to know.

• Like 1

The answer is, where have you been for years? I'm fairly certain there are countless threads in this forum that bring this topic up. My argument would say yes, but the activity is so subjective and prone to human judging something that is highly competitive (yes I did say HUMANS because as a human we will all have a bias related to something that we feel so strongly about).

If I watch 3 groups and the quality of performance is C < B < A, why would it be suspect to have the scores 1. A 2. B 3. C? You just contradicted your entire thread.

Actually, I was saying that the system worked on those experiments and that the conspiracy was wrong. I'm simply trying to find common ground.

The answer is, where have you been for years? I'm fairly certain there are countless threads in this forum that bring this topic up. My argument would say yes, but the activity is so subjective and prone to human judging something that is highly competitive (yes I did say HUMANS because as a human we will all have a bias related to something that we feel so strongly about).

18 threads in a common search - one really deals with judging.

I honestly think all the judges work very hard to evaluate and rank the corps as fairly as possible. THE PROBlem is with so much weight in the effects captions which really are mostly opinion, you see some bias slipping in. Preferences are individual likings and can't be separated out when scoring something.

• Like 2

I speculate that there has to be at least one rotten egg in the whole bunch who brings politics in (just as there always is, in anything), but overall I think the judges are fair and do their best to judge what is actually on the field. How else could you explain Phantom dropping from 1st to 9th over the course of 1 year, and Cavaliers from 3rd to possibly 6th 7th or 8th. (Unless judges are trying to make a statement about staff leaving, but that is probably far-fetched).

Oh, and for a side note, on multiple occasions I have taken people to shows that know absolutely nothing about the activity and or politics. They picked the order of finish exactly (Give or take a couple of weird obscure shows that freaked a couple out.)

Is that a side note, or is it right on topic? I mean, if the judges merely confirm what novices plainly see, can the system be corrupt?

• Like 1