Subpar camera work during broadcasts...

For me, the best camera work ever for DCI was done around 1988 to 1993. I'm not talking about the video quality or the sound quality. I'm talking about what the cameramen were actually looking at, the transitions, and the movements. Things became decent in the early 2000's, but now the past few years we have been on a downward slide again.

I do NOT intend this thread to be full of complaints. I am simply looking for suggestions on how the situation can be improved. I have been to three live events this year, and 5 full days of rehearsals of various corps. The camera work done during the two theater events does not do these performances justice. I am concerned that the DVDs we get for posterity will not show this season in its true glory. Here are 4 general suggestions I have:

1. I would like to see more preparation done by the cameramen. Please be prepared for what you are about to record. Show us portions of the programs that have ACTION in them. Too many times, I saw shots of NOTHING happening, when there were other things going on that were being ignored by the cameramen.

2. Please, for the love of God, I know drum corps is exciting, and there is a lot to see... but please stop the hyperactive camera movements. Stop zooming in and out during a single shot. The production is exciting enough, without you trying to create "artsy" motions and MTV-esque fast cuts. If there is something being played that is classy, that's the way it should look on the video. If there is something being played that is full of motion, I'm quite sure that the corps itself is skilled enough at portraying that. Please exercise restraint with your camera. If you wielded a gun the way you use your camera, everyone in the stadium would be dead.

3. Let's see some more quality shots of the performers in the pit. If I am sitting on the 50-yard line at a stadium, the pit is one of the most noticeable elements of the show. Unfortunately, the broadcasts do not show the pit members much at all.

4. If I can see 20 yards of empty space on either side of the corps, that means you are zoomed out too far.

Anybody else have suggestions? Or kudos for specific camera work that you liked?

• Like 7

For what it's worth I'm a TV producer. The issue isn't the camera guys, it is with the Director and the technical director who handles the live switching from the truck. The director calls the shots and the TD punches between various cameras. In some cases the wrong shot is being selected from one camera who is setting up a shot instead of an already established shot. In other cases there hasn't been a context set up before a tight shot. Blair knows what he's doing, so it might be a new TD or Tom not hands on

• Like 6

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this lately...

2. Please, for the love of God, I know drum corps is exciting, and there is a lot to see... but please stop the hyperactive camera movements. Stop zooming in and out during a single shot. The production is exciting enough, without you trying to create "artsy" motions and MTV-esque fast cuts. If there is something being played that is classy, that's the way it should look on the video. If there is something being played that is full of motion, I'm quite sure that the corps itself is skilled enough at portraying that. Please exercise restraint with your camera. If you wielded a gun the way you use your camera, everyone in the stadium would be dead.

I can see you and I aren't going to get into a bar room fight over this anytime soon. (I started a thread on the exact same subject)

You just put things better than I do. :cool: (bolding of Tommy's post by me)

For what it's worth I'm a TV producer. The issue isn't the camera guys, it is with the Director and the technical director who handles the live switching from the truck. The director calls the shots and the TD punches between various cameras. In some cases the wrong shot is being selected from one camera who is setting up a shot instead of an already established shot. In other cases there hasn't been a context set up before a tight shot. Blair knows what he's doing, so it might be a new TD or Tom not hands on

I think that's worth a lot. What is your professional opinion of mine and Tommy's (the OP) complaints?

For me, the best camera work ever for DCI was done around 1988 to 1993. I'm not talking about the video quality or the sound quality. I'm talking about what the cameramen were actually looking at, the transitions, and the movements. Things became decent in the early 2000's, but now the past few years we have been on a downward slide again.

I do NOT intend this thread to be full of complaints. I am simply looking for suggestions on how the situation can be improved. I have been to three live events this year, and 5 full days of rehearsals of various corps. The camera work done during the two theater events does not do these performances justice. I am concerned that the DVDs we get for posterity will not show this season in its true glory. Here are 4 general suggestions I have:

1. I would like to see more preparation done by the cameramen. Please be prepared for what you are about to record. Show us portions of the programs that have ACTION in them. Too many times, I saw shots of NOTHING happening, when there were other things going on that were being ignored by the cameramen.

3. Let's see some more quality shots of the performers in the pit. If I am sitting on the 50-yard line at a stadium, the pit is one of the most noticeable elements of the show. Unfortunately, the broadcasts do not show the pit members much at all.

4. If I can see 20 yards of empty space on either side of the corps, that means you are zoomed out too far.

Anybody else have suggestions? Or kudos for specific camera work that you liked?

I agree with a lot of you wrote b/c I saw a lot of similar behavior in the theater broadcast. I will say, however, that you may not get much backing for your point 3, as in the past when this was tried there was A LOT of griping about missing the flow of the show and the corps drill b/c an inordinate amount of time is spent on the pit members. In general, I'd rather see drill, horn and drum line with the occasional pit member.

• Like 2

Semis are usually extremely sub-par compared to the DVD.

I agree with this ^^

I've been a cameraman for various sporting events, concerts, and school programs. I have fell victim to many uncalled shots from the Technical Director throughout the years. After that shot is done, I usually do get a remark from the Director thru our headphones saying "That was a great shot, I'm sorry we didn't put it on the screen". Also, it can get really REALLY confusing in the truck when a lot is going on. They do get some great stuff in, and yes, I agree that some stuff doesn't need to be on the screen. Thankfully the Live Feed and DVD videos are different because they go back and put some of those "iffy shots" into other shots.

• Like 3

What I noticed tonight while watching Semis was that they switched the majority of the time to the same exact shots I saw at the theater broadcast the night before, at the sam exact time. It was almost like watching an exact replay, minus the weather interruption.

Also, please move the mike stands away from the front sidelines and especially where the pit speakers are. The BD soloists were so #### loud and overpowered the corps.

Edited by crfrey71