An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

You can choose to handle the situation in your own way. I hope you will attend next year, but if you don't, I'd rather have you at home than being at an event complaining more about something that ***MORE THAN LIKELY*** isn't going to change for a variety of reasons.

And I'd rather be at home than complaining about something I paid $50+ to attend. And maybe nothing will change, but I'm at my wit's end. I've written letters before, and nothing happened. Short of leaving the activity, I don't see any other choice.

• Like 2

Here's the thing: art can't stand still. It will wither and die as we do if they just keep doing what brought us to the activity in the first place. They have to find new ways to appeal to new audiences, and if that means they lose some folks along the way, they will do so. It's the way of the world.

You know, I think this was the argument the Second Viennese School made for serialism. And I think the result of that argument is a general distaste by the general public for "contemporary music" that persists even to the present day. In other words, doing something new for the sake of doing something new had a profound effect on music, and one that was in many ways not positive. I'm cautioning DCI that they are headed down a similar path. Perhaps I'm wrong and they'll tap into a massive market for people who love synths more than brass and percussion and dance more than drill. But if they're wrong, it will be that much harder to recover.

It's like arguing that we should move track and field events forward by introducing motorized vehicles.

• Like 1

Highlighting BD that much could overshadow your entire point. I wouldn't doubt if most people saw it as a "BD bash letter".

And that would only prove that people read what they wanted to read, not what I actually wrote. Although their show this year and its critical success was a major contributing factor to my waning enthusiasm for the activity--I can't deny that--it was far from the only factor.

• Like 1

And I'd rather be at home than complaining about something I paid $50+ to attend. And maybe nothing will change, but I'm at my wit's end. I've written letters before, and nothing happened. Short of leaving the activity, I don't see any other choice.

You'd probably be better off taking a break from this site instead.

I understand your POV. There are some things that annoy me about what's going on in corps today, but I love drum corps too much to take a year off. I already had to do that in 2003-2006 when I got stationed overseas. Since I've come back, I've been hooked.

• Like 1

You'd probably be better off taking a break from this site instead.

I've done that already. My posting this summer has been far less than in previous years. And I doubt I'll post much more after this topic begins to fade (perhaps before it begins to fade). :-)

I think what I'll miss most is being reminded of the speechless moment represented in your signature pic every time you post. Now THAT was innovative and entertaining. I nearly fell over (I was already on my feet) when I realized what was going on. :-)

Edited by JulesBry
  • Like 1

It's like arguing that we should move track and field events forward by introducing motorized vehicles.

Well, we've got the small and fast motorized vehicles on the running track already, so we've come pretty far in this respect actually.

Edited by BRASSO

I've done that already. My posting this summer has been far less than in previous years. And I doubt I'll post much more after this topic begins to fade (perhaps before it begins to fade). :-)

I think what I'll miss most is being reminded of the speechless moment represented in your signature pic every time you post. Now THAT was innovative and entertaining. I nearly fell over (I was already on my feet) when I realized what was going on. :-)

I just wish the cameraman during our finals performance was directly in front of us instead of moving down the line. REALLY annoyed me.

Anyways, I feel your sentiment in your letter. I hope things get better to bring fans like you back, but I don't think drum corps is TOO bad. I do miss how things were in the mid-to-late 90s though...especially with Cadets.

And that would only prove that people read what they wanted to read, not what I actually wrote. Although their show this year and its critical success was a major contributing factor to my waning enthusiasm for the activity--I can't deny that--it was far from the only factor.

Julian I totally understand where you're coming from, and I feel your pain, man... I really do. There's been 100,000 Julians like you that have drifted away over the years. Best of luck to you in whatever hobby you find to replace Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

About the take on Blue Devils, after hearing all that chatter again tonight, I'll be blunt.

I wish they would switch staffs with the BDB staff. I saw the "B" corps for the first time tonight and absolutely loved them. The "B" staff need to sit the "A" staff down for a primer on how to relate to an audience.

...because they are a hell of a site better at it.

• Like 4