An open letter to my son, and all the age outs

Will you be my dad?

Mine could care less and this is amazing.

Its your Dad's loss, unfortunately. But you are blessed to have others fill that void it sounds like.

Absolutely beautiful! I am crying and I know your pride. I'm proud of my kids and sometimes I think I talk about them too much on here, what can I say, they introduced me to this sport and for that I will always be grateful. :inlove:

Talk about them too much? Not possible!

2000Cadet, you just wait when you become a parent it is a love you never thought possible, it knows no boundaries.

My Grandfather used to say that every time a child was born, your heart gets a little larger.

MotorCityMusician, I can't be your Dad but I'd be proud be your Mom. :lle:

HEY - I adopted him first!

This letter just makes me wish even more that I could have been out there tonight at the age-out ceremony and performing, just to get that one last shot at the field, and to be with my family. I'm sure your son has had an amazing time in drum corps, and he takes every moment he can tomorrow to remember everything that's happened, good and bad, and how lucky he is to have had those moments. I know last night in the theater, watching my corps perform without me, that I was crying, completely without reservation or shame, because drum corps has meant that much to me over the last six years. I know I will be tomorrow as well because the season, and my DCI career officially end when retreat is over tomorrow night. Your letter really hit home as I've had many of those same experiences, and would have never traded them for the world.

Go 2012 Age-outs!

• Like 3

Thank you all for your kind words. By the way, Thomas is the really tall, really blond contra player for BD if you would like to send some positive vibes his way tonight...that would be groovy.

• Like 2

This letter captures the essence of why kids do drum corps. This letter shows why, at the end of the day, scores and placements simply don't matter. Well said dad, I hope Thomas, his corps, and ALL of the kids performing tonight have the run of their lives.

• Like 1

Very good letter. My son aged out this year too. He is in Pioneer. He started marching with me in an alumni corps 7 years ago and learned to drum, not just from me , but from a bunch of people who came from some powerhouse lines back in the day. I was hard on him about drumming and being in corps, probably becasue my instructors were hard on me, well harder in many ways, but nevertheless I didn't tell him everything was fine when he needed work on something. He also learned tons on his own.

I was always impressed with him because he is deaf. How he does what he does I can't say. He always wanted to march in Glassmen where I once taught the drumline, or in Phantom, his favourite corps. It broke my heart because I knew that he never would because of his deafness. Yet I always hoped some corps drumline would have the right kind of staff, book and talent level that was on the edge of being tha pack of high caliber corps I marched in so he could experience all the things I did.

Where we live in Canada there are no drum corps. He tried to get into Dutchboy, but my memory tells me that the corps didn't make it to the field that year. Maybe it was the Hamilton corps, he did spend some time there the same year. Then he marched in Blue Saints. Mostly had a rewading year. School and other things kept him out of corps for two years and he really wanted to take a shot before he aged out. It wasn't until January this year that he became free and clear to march, but by then he and I figured it was way too late to march and put it out of our minds.

In the spring it came to light there were soome spots opening up here and there. He was all set to go to an eastern corps, tickets in hand, when they rejected him before seeing him. It was a hornline spot. My son didn't play horn, but when you need a drill plug, you take who you get. I see they still could have used one more horns in that section. I sensed the disappointment he felt and we resigned he wouldn't be marching.

Then he heard Pioneer was in need of horn players. We worked out the logisitcs and off he went to camp to see if he could do it and for them to see he could. Two weeks later he was back in Milwaukie and won't be home until Monday. It wasn't going to be in the drumline like he dreamed, but he still wanted to be in a corps while he had the chance. He ended up playing baritone, not just holding a spot, but actually playing it. I can't even begin to understand how he did it.

He's been in constant touch through facebook. He's had the time of his life. I saw him and the corps in Erie and the difference in my son, marching in a touring corps and all that goes with it, are clearly evident. He is not the same kid anymore, or better, he is not a kid anymore. He learned things I couldn't teach him without the benefit of being away from home - having responsibility to himself and others, dealing with the curves of life each day, living with people who are different and learning to get along, eating what they give you or starve and how to have fun through hard work. His confidence always ran ahead of his abilities, but I think now he has more confidence and the life skill abilities have caught up.

Last night he had lots to say about the ageout ceremony and his experience of the day after doing their best show of the year and finding out it wasn't enough when the score was announced. He was still having the time of his life.

I know I'm getting back a better boy who is much more a man and I am happy for him. I am also greatful to the Pioneer for taking him in and spitting out some one who learned what it means to be better everyday. The corps stepped in where I couldn't despite trying, my son stepped up as I always hoped - plus he can now play a horn in addition to being a great drummer.

Other than being in Devs like the OP's son, the result of the experience is similar and I feel the same way as Dapperpoet does.

This drum corps thing, nothing like it in the world.

Regards,

John

• Like 7

dapperpoet, I know you and I have had differences in opinion on this forum, but be assured that we are on the same page here.

You have exactly expressed the feelings I've had for my son since his four years in high school when he worked as hard as he could to help his school be one of the top eight marching bands in Colorado. You have exactly expressed the pride I've had for my son since that day in 2009 when he decided he was going to be a Blue Knight. He eagerly switched from his beloved clarinet to his now equally beloved horn/mello and this year, when he felt he was ready, he auditioned and was accepted by the Blue Knights. To some it may seem to be a small thing, but to my son, getting his Blue Knights 2012 Member T-shirt day before yesterday was the day he achieved his goals.

dapperpoet, both of our sons now KNOW that they can do anything they chose to or are asked to do. Nothing will prevent them from achieving their goals. As Dads, you and I are successful as well for our part in the success of these young men.

GRATZ!! To all the young men and women...and to their teachers...for a great drum corps season.

It's reading threads like this that should put an end to all of the "drum corps is not drum corps anymore" threads. Well said everyone!