Field Judges need to be limited to the front sideline

I really would like to see field judges in the near future limited to the front sideline. Those field judges were the "tic" judges back in the old tic scoring system. Their only purpose was to find errors and "tic" you a tenth here and a tenth there. Why do we still have them on the field???

Also, with the fast-paced, sophisticated, dissolving and evolving forms, at 220 bpm, at times, it's just a matter of time before a judge and a corps member gets hurt pretty bad. I have seen some pretty close calls, not to mention how they really distract the viewer. For example, I saw the percussion judge literally run a sprint out towards the backside of the 50-yard during the Prelims on Thursday night. Then tonight, the judge gets caught right under one of Phantom's riddles (opera curtain). Besides that, how can you judge that well, especially when you are having to really run hard these days and always looking around to avoid being trapped or ran over?

You can easily judge brass, for example, from the front sidelines. If you can't, then you need you ears checked and/or not be judging drum corps.

But if they are limited to the sideline, how are they going to get their exercise? :tongue:

Not sure about horn judges but for the battery you really need to be on top of them to evaluate properly. They spend a lot of time a long way away from the front sideline and even with the best tuning in the world it's not all going to carry.

But I share your concerns on safety. I saw a few judges ducking out of harm's way tonight.

I really would like to see field judges in the near future limited to the front sideline. Those field judges were the "tic" judges back in the old tic scoring system. Their only purpose was to find errors and "tic" you a tenth here and a tenth there. Why do we still have them on the field???

Also, with the fast-paced, sophisticated, dissolving and evolving forms, at 220 bpm, at times, it's just a matter of time before a judge and a corps member gets hurt pretty bad. I have seen some pretty close calls, not to mention how they really distract the viewer. For example, I saw the percussion judge literally run a sprint out towards the backside of the 50-yard during the Prelims on Thursday night. Then tonight, the judge gets caught right under one of Phantom's riddles (opera curtain). Besides that, how can you judge that well, especially when you are having to really run hard these days and always looking around to avoid being trapped or ran over?

You can easily judge brass, for example, from the front sidelines. If you can't, then you need you ears checked and/or not be judging drum corps.

I confess we've listened to more than a few field judge tapes of the judge doing little more than breathing heavy in trying to keep up with the drill.

I confess we've listened to more than a few field judge tapes of the judge doing little more than breathing heavy in trying to keep up with the drill.

...part of the judge's gig is to be in shape. Period. I'd get out there right now and run with Alan Christianson, although as a visual guy you don't have to get inside to see what's happening. Visually I still teach 360 degrees clean, anything less is, well, easier from a teaching standpoint (much less performance). One of my band circuits is all in-the-box (peer judging, no less) and sometimes, when time crunches, my tolerance adapts to that condition, but the kids still get the 360 syllabus. No...at least visually, we need for the judge to be able to see back-to-front and move around the perimeter to inspect stuff *not* visible from the front sideline, otherwise our standards degrade. JMHO.

• Like 1

1. It adds pressure to perform

2. Visual judges need to see all angles for cleanliness

3. Percussion judges need to be close enough to hear nuance and ticks

4. Brass judges also need to be close when sections are back field to inspect quality of sound and technique

5. Get someone hurt? Seriously? They've been doing this forEVER. What's with all the coddling?

Every day I turn around on here and there's another reason to "protect" the children. Judges, domes, natural grass vs. turf ..... and it might sprinkle in 17 hours. Part of the point of drum corps is to make people tough .. deal with adversity ... find excellence they didn't know they had. It's not about finding excuses ... not for anything.

1. It adds pressure to perform

2. Visual judges need to see all angles for cleanliness

3. Percussion judges need to be close enough to hear nuance and ticks

4. Brass judges also need to be close when sections are back field to inspect quality of sound and technique

5. Get someone hurt? Seriously? They've been doing this forEVER. What's with all the coddling?

Every day I turn around on here and there's another reason to "protect" the children. Judges, domes, natural grass vs. turf ..... and it might sprinkle in 17 hours. Part of the point of drum corps is to make people tough .. deal with adversity ... find excellence they didn't know they had. It's not about finding excuses ... not for anything.

Dude, he's got a point. Take a look at Cadets 2000 at the end of the opener. The percussion judge trips up a mellophone as the mellophone player was backing into a set. I'm not sure if they should be on the sideline, but something needs to be looked at.