Madison Scouts 2013

I am supporting the Madison Scouts and the young man I know who made the horn line this year to honor everything the Brotherhood has done for me over the last 25 years (MYNWA).

I am also going to the souvie booths of the Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders, Colts, Pioneer, Cascades, Crossmen, etc... because I love drum corps.

I will not go to the MiM show in my area or support those corps participating... because they think they are the "G7"

It's not that I don't object to the idea of the G7, because I certainly do. My main question is: what about the performers? By not supporting the corps at all, you're not supporting the performers, the members of the corps. Do they deserve any of the blame for what the administration is doing? Are their efforts to put out an excellent product any less valid? This is what is concerning me, not the objection to the G7 (I'm with an Open Class group, so I'm leery of what would happen if they had their way).

Please also don't misinterpret me as objecting to supporting all of the corps. I'm glad people will be supporting them. Groups like Pioneer and Cascades and such need all the support they can get. There isn't a corps I don't like (some more or less than others, but each to some degree), and that's because of their performers, nothing to do with the administration. It's just that it feels to me like some people are only increasing their support of other groups as a reaction to the G7, and not because the corps need and deserve the support for what they do.

And to be on topic with the thread, I'll be paying even closer attention to Madison this year because one of my corps' vets will (at least quite possibly) be marching with them this year.

• Like 1

It's not that I don't object to the idea of the G7, because I certainly do. My main question is: what about the performers? By not supporting the corps at all, you're not supporting the performers, the members of the corps. Do they deserve any of the blame for what the administration is doing? Are their efforts to put out an excellent product any less valid? This is what is concerning me, not the objection to the G7 (I'm with an Open Class group, so I'm leery of what would happen if they had their way).

Please also don't misinterpret me as objecting to supporting all of the corps. I'm glad people will be supporting them. Groups like Pioneer and Cascades and such need all the support they can get. There isn't a corps I don't like (some more or less than others, but each to some degree), and that's because of their performers, nothing to do with the administration. It's just that it feels to me like some people are only increasing their support of other groups as a reaction to the G7, and not because the corps need and deserve the support for what they do.

And to be on topic with the thread, I'll be paying even closer attention to Madison this year because one of my corps' vets will (at least quite possibly) be marching with them this year.

Keep in mind those G7 members choose to be part of G7 conspirator corps they could go to other corps that aren't in it like madison or boston. Those talented members could still oppose the idea of what they are trying to do by taking there talents elsewhere. I mean it'd be nice to see a new top mix up, if you can bust the G7's ranks you can hurt there bargaining power. However, the fact of the matter is those members still choose to support there corps actions by marching there.

• Like 2

Night on Bald Mountain, also known as "Night on the Bare Mountain" is definitely an unexpected choice. Madison has never played it before, but the choice of this particular work might be due to its odd history:

From Wikipedia:

"Although Mussorgsky was proud of this youthful effort, his most ambitious and only significant orchestral work, his mentor Miliy Balakirev refused to perform it. To salvage what he considered worthy material, Mussorgsky attempted to insert his Bare Mountain music, recast for vocal soloists, chorus, and orchestra, in two subsequent projectsthe collaborative opera-ballet Mlada (1872) and the opera Sorochintsï Fair (1880).

However, the work achieved fame and is still best known in Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov's edition, a 'fantasy for orchestra' titled A Night on the Bare Mountain (1886), composed 5 years after Mussorgsky's death.

A Night on the Bare Mountain was never performed in any form during Mussorgsky's lifetime.[3] The Rimsky-Korsakov edition premiered in 1886 in Saint Petersburg, and has become a concert favorite. The original tone poem by Mussorgsky was not published until 1968, and although it is seldom heard, it is gradually gaining exposure and popularity.

Many listeners became acquainted with Night on Bald Mountain through the Disney animated film Fantasia (1940), which used an arrangement of Rimsky-Korsakov's edition made by Leopold Stokowski."

I enjoy your version, gotta love the tempo.

Edited by thirdcoast

I'm sure all the men and women in Hitler's military machine during WWII weren't bad people. Does that mean anyone supports what they did? I'm totally indifferent toward those members. They should understand that their choice to march with one of those corps is going to be met with a certain amount of opposition by the REST of the drum corps activity.

Also, I think this G7 mess perfectly illustrates how not having a contending Scouts corps consistently in the Top 6 the past several years has been directly detrimental to DCI.

• Like 2

I'm sure all the men and women in Hitler's military machine during WWII weren't bad people. Does that mean anyone supports what they did? I'm totally indifferent toward those members. They should understand that their choice to march with one of those corps is going to be met with a certain amount of opposition by the REST of the drum corps activity.

Also, I think this G7 mess perfectly illustrates how not having a contending Scouts corps consistently in the Top 6 the past several years has been directly detrimental to DCI.

Godwin2.jpg

• Like 4

So instead of this turning into a anti-G7 thread can we hear any updates or possibly video clips anyone may have from the camp.

• Like 5

So in-case anyone would like to know, from people at this past camp reports are showing strong numbers in all sections with what seems to be an almost set line, certainly by next camp it seems. The brass line will be large and in charge once again with over 80 members and also strong healthy numbers with the guard and drumline. Music is reportedly sounding very good with particularly well rounded low brass. These guys are on there way to for a great success in 2013 so far.

• Like 3

So in-case anyone would like to know, from people at this past camp reports are showing strong numbers in all sections with what seems to be an almost set line, certainly by next camp it seems. The brass line will be large and in charge once again with over 80 members and also strong healthy numbers with the guard and drumline. Music is reportedly sounding very good with particularly well rounded low brass. These guys are on there way to for a great success in 2013 so far.

Thank's chief! Your post is very elloquent, straight to the point and the low-brass comment always makes me smile.

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 2