Madison Scouts 2013

Perhaps those other corps should do it too. Cadets are the gold standard when it comes to keeping interest in their organization year round, instead of just between the middle of June and the middle of August.

I'm still interested in what corps are doing, even if I don't get to hear them more than a few months a year. That's what videos and recordings are for. Football is only a few months a year, and I don't get upset when the teams don't show videos of the coming season.

How is this different?

I'm still interested in what corps are doing, even if I don't get to hear them more than a few months a year. That's what videos and recordings are for. Football is only a few months a year, and I don't get upset when the teams don't show videos of the coming season.

How is this different?

Well, good question. At first I really didn't see much of a difference between the two, but then I thought about it some more. Perhaps it's different from person to person, but for me there isn't a difference. As a big football fan myself, I would be pretty frustrated if the Chicago Bears didn't have any interaction with the fans about the upcoming season - not just videos, since the comparison really is to corps that don't say a peep due to national security concerns during the offseason. If the Bears ended the season, and then I didn't hear ANYTHING about their upcoming season - no free agent news, no draft news, no mini-camp news, no training camp news, no pre-season game news, nothing until the coverage of the very first game of the season - I wouldn't be too happy. Moreover, if other teams were disseminating constant streams of info about the upcoming season during the offseason while the Bears were not, I would be even more upset, and might not be a fan of theirs much longer.

Edited by Quad Aces

So then it's exactly how most corps do it them? They tell us their show, their staff, and that's about it. That was my point. As a fellow bears fan, they let us know some info, but not all. Same as a corps that doesn't post a video.

It's almost march 12 and we don't know if urlacher is back, or what many corps are playing.

So once again, not being as transparent is just like pro sports teams.

If everyone did what Hopkins does, then we would see everything Phil emery does.

At any rate, Go Madison!!!

So then it's exactly how most corps do it them? They tell us their show, their staff, and that's about it. That was my point. As a fellow bears fan, they let us know some info, but not all. Same as a corps that doesn't post a video.

It's almost march 12 and we don't know if urlacher is back, or what many corps are playing.

So once again, not being as transparent is just like pro sports teams.

If everyone did what Hopkins does, then we would see everything Phil emery does.

At any rate, Go Madison!!!

Perhaps we differ in our analogies then. No, we don't know if Urlacher will be re-signed yet, but we do know that the Bears fired Lovie, hired Trestman, we will see coverage of their draft including interviews with the top picks, coverage of free agency results, mini-camp footage, tons of training camp coverage, and all of the pre-season games in their entirety on tv - all in the offseason. However, we will not even know many corps' reps (let alone camp footage) until May or so (big gap between middle of August and May), and in the case of Blue Knights last year, until shortly before the season began. So IMHO, the way that NFL teams (and sports teams in general) promote themselves in the offseason is nowhere near how most corps promote themselves in the offseason.

At any rate, before the topic gets too far derailed - like you said, go Madison, and looking forward to seeing their show this year!

Edited by Quad Aces

Perhaps we differ in our analogies then. No, we don't know if Urlacher will be re-signed yet, but we do know that the Bears fired Lovie, hired Trestman, we will see coverage of their draft including interviews with the top picks, coverage of free agency results, mini-camp footage, tons of training camp coverage, and all of the pre-season games in their entirety on tv - all in the offseason. However, we will not even know many corps' reps (let alone camp footage) until May or so (big gap between middle of August and May), and in the case of Blue Knights last year, until shortly before the season began. So IMHO, the way that NFL teams (and sports teams in general) promote themselves in the offseason is nowhere near how most corps promote themselves in the offseason.

At any rate, before the topic gets too far derailed - like you said, go Madison, and looking forward to seeing their show this year!

I think you're going to have to concede this point to Quad Aces, considering it was your original analogy and all. And I actually agree with him. At a time when it would have been logistically taxing, I wouldn't have...but we live in a new era of social media and multiple ways of disseminating information. Kids nowadays are VERY wrapped up in all of that and it wouldn't be a bad thing to engage them and capitalize on it. Better to be a leader in this regard than a follower.

And why would this be an even better idea?? Money! Subscription-based video and live streams of camps and rehearsals. Anybody can drop in and watch camp rehearsals, typically...so why not give everyone that chance? $10-$20 gets you access to all off-season rehearsal videos and live streams. Or kill the live stream idea and just upload rehearsal video (long enough to actually see/hear what's going on) and charge $10 for access to all that content on the Scouts site.

I guarantee that, not only just a ton of alums, but also a large number of fans would drop $10 for off-season content. Seems like a good way to generate a bunch of revenue with very little investment.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

• 2 weeks later...

Football is only a few months a year, and I don't get upset when the teams don't show videos of the coming season.

How is this different?

Football has no national exposure concerns.

Football also provides fans a blizzard of non stop information in the off season. NFL Football also provides fans access to football practices, training camps, souvenir and memorabilia days, etc.... college football provides off season Spring Season intrasquad games open to the public, with many televised in the local regions... football provides coverage of draft days.... info on TV regarding recruiting signings and rankings.... radio and TV stations provide trading reports, updates on injuries, coaching changes, etc with coaches available to the media and the fans for regular updates, etc.

There is a WORLD of difference in my view between what football fans receive in information in the offeseson and the info that Drum Corps fans receive in the offseason, and I've only scratched the surface and highlighted but a few differences here.

I got an email from the corps over the weekend - for folks who have purchased VIP tickets from the Scouts. Had video and some tasty excerpts from the 2013 show music. Very nice arrangements indeed! Starting to get excited for the upcoming Drum Corps season!

• Like 1