Beating the Blue Devils

Wait wait wait, Crossmen beat BD? Any details on that?

Actually Star of Indiana 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993.

Sorry just read again and you said the "last" year they were beaten so yes 1993 would be sadly the last possible year.

Also have to take into account there are very few drum corps still existing and even far fewer with budget or in the current structure resources to enter, move up and challenge.

But yes they have had a great run in DCI and a lot has to be credited to the consistency of the people on staff.

Edited by SACMellos2010

Did Spirit never top the Blue Devils? I thought that they must have back in the 70s.

I think the list provided in this post is accurate. In 1980, less than a point separated first from fourth. This was one of DCI's most exciting years. Most believed the title would go to 27th. Breidgemen may have done the performance of their history that night, and Spirit's emotional closer in memory of Jim Ott's passing was one of drum corps' most emotionally charged moments.

I still believe 27th should have won that evening and I know that Blue Devils' fans don't agree. My guess is that there are some who believe Bridgemen should have won and Spirit fans may feel the same loyalty towards Spirit, but to be fair neither Spirit nor Bridgemen topped Blue Devils or 27th that year.

and a lot has to be credited to the consistency of the people on staff.

that's the point right there Edited by the_aborigine

But yes they have had a great run in DCI and a lot has to be credited to the consistency of the people on staff.

And the QUALITY of that consistent staff....you can have staff for years and years, but if they don't have the chops to produce a top program....

BD's staff has both.

So have some other corps...but it seems only in specific captions.