DCI Competition Participation Requirements

I find it absolutely hilarious that the corps that rehearsed the least during the summer tour in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's is now under fire for rehearsing too much.

No one's "under fire" for anything.

I appreciate the responses so far. The consideration of the budgets of smaller corps is certainly important, and travel costs pose a real challenge to all up-and-coming corps.

Not to dismiss those concerns, but I was more interested in examining this issue from the prospective of competitive fairness. In the data posted, it seemed there was a correlation between higher scores and fewer shows throughout the course of the season. I'm not saying there is- in fact I'm posing that question to you.

Generally, do corps tend to perform better when they have fewer shows to compete in?

It would seem, that at least in regard to top twelve drum corps, they do. Is it the consensus of dcp that this is okay? If not, what is the solution?

There have never been, to my knowledge, any requirements for corps to compete in a certain number of shows during a season. But it would be interesting to find out if The Cavaliers, Cadets, BD, etc, have, over a number of years, averaged fewer shows per season, and whether that had a positive impact on their placements over time.

That would be quite an analysis.

I do know that the Cadets had the same number of shows last year when they came in first as they did this year when they came in 4th.

It was mentioned in a previous thread a few months ago that BD participated in fewer shows this year than most other corps. It seems unfair to me that the number of shows a world-class corps competes in during a given season is not regulated. This seems like common sense to me, and I was surprised when I learned that it seems to have never been regulated at all. Does anyone know the reason(s) behind this?

Are saying that World Class Division Corps should not be allowed to do limited tours as well ? What if they can't afford it ? What if they are good enough to compete in World Class but financially they do not want to take themselves on a full tour ? Under your " regulations " you would force them to go on a full tour, thereby possibly putting in danger their ability to future compete at all ? Why should a Corps be forced to compete in over 20 shows anyway ? Whether they do 24 shows or 35 shows its THEIR business. Should we say that some Corps should be " regulated " from perhaps putting their performers into too many shows as well ? Or should we just simply say, "as long as you are at certain required regional shows, you can be in as many or as few show competitions as you like ". Afterall, it is these Corps that primarily foot the financial bill for the travel, not you, me or DCI.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

It was mentioned in a previous thread a few months ago that BD participated in fewer shows this year than most other corps. It seems unfair to me that the number of shows a world-class corps competes in during a given season is not regulated. This seems like common sense to me, and I was surprised when I learned that it seems to have never been regulated at all. Does anyone know the reason(s) behind this?

That's exactly the point the OP is making. If doing less shows = more full rehearsal days, that means more time spent getting clean and making improvements instead of doing all the pre-show prep. If everyone decided they didn't want to do as many shows, it wouldn't be good for the tour, and i think a case could be made that if anything the 'standard bearer' (with 15 titles) should trend towards the upper end of appearances.

Blue Devils received 27 scores this year and finished 1st overall.

Jersey Surf recieved 17 scores this year and finished 20th overall.

Additionally, Seattle Cascades, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, and Pioneer all had fewer shows than the Blue Devils, yet none of these corps made Finals.

Just because a corps does not enter a show a night during tour does not automatically mean that said corps has any sort of competitive advantage, other than perhaps less fatigue on the members. There are a lot of other factors to consider when trying to determine how many shows a corps should do. I am 100% against DCI legislating a minimum number of appearances for a corps in World Class, as this would not only effect the Blue Devils, but also the corps mentioned above, many of whom choose not to do full tours to remain responsible to their fiscal means.

How many shows did Madison have in 88???

More than the Blue Devils did this year or for the last several years . The Madison Scouts had over 25 competitions in 1988, despite going to Europe. But again, not sure why this is an issue of the need " for regulation " as this decision is a decision that should rest with these Corps themselves, not DCI. DCI should only have a requirement of regionals attendance, in my view.

Edited by BRASSO

It's silly to talk about money as the issue here. Blue Devils spend the most money on their corps of any DCI member. Twice or more as much as anyone but SCV, Cadets, and Cavaliers, in fact.

Blue Devils are a big name and would have brought more attendance to shows they could have attended but did not. They may not need the performance fees, but the small show organizer on the edge of breaking even could have used their name. And DCI as a whole has an interest in keeping show sponsors in business, unless we all want to see how quickly we can make the whole thing fold up.

So, I don't see why it should be offensive to suggest that DCI might want to consider making special rules about minimum shows for ToC participants (who are getting large performance fees for those shows) to support show sponsors out there who are putting on World Class shows with one or zero finalists in some cases.

Of course, the ToC is itself a sop to the G7 corps to keep them from bailing (even though I've heard the ToC events themselves (sponsored by DCI) lose money due to the high performance fees), so I suppose DCI may have no pull over BD on this matter in any case.

• Like 1

Clearly you haven't been paying attention this summer. The were vilified earlier in the summer for doing fewer shows and rehearsing more.

####....they could cure cancer and bring lasting and meaningful peace to the Middle East and they'd be vilified...

• Like 1

####....they could cure cancer and bring lasting and meaningful peace to the Middle East and they'd be vilified...

Well, they are going to Guatemala next month. Bet you they aren't treated there like they have been here.

Edited by Kamarag