Did Surf get it right?

Considering most DC fans take of Surfs show this year, could easily have been the most entertaining show this year, should more corps go the way Surf did? Yes, I know there are those who wished the show was a lot cleaner, but for pure entertainment, I believe Surf did a great job entertaining the fans this year.

Would fans like to entertained with a modernized version of old school or a vague idea of a show that is performed to perfection?

• Like 1

Considering most DC fans take of Surfs show this year, could easily have been the most entertaining show this year, should more corps go the way Surf did? Yes, I know there are those who wished the show was a lot cleaner, but for pure entertainment, I believe Surf did a great job entertaining the fans this year.

Would fans like to entertained with a modernized version of old school or a vague idea of a show that is performed to perfection?

I loved Surf's show but one corps doing that kind of thing is enough. IMHO, I don't want to see more corps doing the clown prince thing any more than I want to see all classical or all jazz shows. I like the diversity of the entertainment, even if I don't love every show.

In the 80's, I loved watching VK but when they left the field I usually enjoyed the next corps, albeit in a different way. Seeing every corps playing old school rehashes would get tired.

• Like 1

Variety is the spice of life. Jersey Surf was a huge hit with many fans from coast to coast that got the chance to see them... especially live. They were THE most " diifferent and unique " Corps this season, imo. I wouldn't want several other Corps doing a show theme revolving around comedic relief however. Let the Jersey Surf retain that mantle for themselves for next season should they continue to want to explore this unique and different path that they have found for themselves.

Edited by BRASSO

I loved Surf's show but one corps doing that kind of thing is enough. IMHO, I don't want to see more corps doing the clown prince thing any more than I want to see all classical or all jazz shows. I like the diversity of the entertainment, even if I don't love every show.

In the 80's, I loved watching VK but when they left the field I usually enjoyed the next corps, albeit in a different way. Seeing every corps playing old school rehashes would get tired.

This (including the VK comment). It's nice to have some comedic relief during a long day of competition but overall I wouldn't all drum corp shows to be like that.

Not looking to have more corps do Surfs type of show. Just looking to see if it would be more entertaining for a corps to do more recognizable music , likes Surfs show, or more DADA type of music like BD?

I read a lot of posts stating that they wished more shows were done with music they recognized. Doesnt have to be stuff played in the past. There is plenty of recognizable music out there. Just wondering if some corps went in that direction, would the activity become a little more appealing.

did they have fun and did the crowd like them? Yes

did they do better than last year? yes

was it "right"? for them this year, yes

This show did make a great statement that something is missing.

• Like 1

Surf definitely got it right this year, both on and off the field. Any kid who marched in that yellow vest this year (especially the ones who also marched in 2011 and before) will tell you they had the most fun they could possibly have in drum corps. The constant standing ovations and support made it even more special for them than it already was, and that is mostly because they made your season special with their show.

That being said, other corps should not do what Surf's doing. More fun and relatable shows for sure, but not comedic ones. That's Surf's thing now and doing that would just be considered emulating them. Surf would have been thought of the same way if they were around and doing this in the 1980's when the Bridgemen were in their prime.

did they have fun and did the crowd like them? Yes

did they do better than last year? yes

was it "right"? for them this year, yes

This show did make a great statement that something is missing.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I posted this.

Bridgemen alums loved Surf, some even volunteered to help them "blow their horns" like the Bridgemen used to, and that they did. However, the Surf staff I spoke with as well as Bridgemen alums stated they are not trying ot resurrect the Bridgemen in the guise of Surf. Surf will probably find its identity as one of the "great entertainers" in the line of Bridgemen, Velvet Knights, Sky Riders, etc., but they will not be carbon copies.

I would like to see more Surf style shows, not in tributes to other corps, but finding an idea, running with it, working to perfect it, and having a great time. This is essentially what Surf did this year. I'd also venture to say this is already happening in Open Class and World Class corps. I personally found this year far more entertaining than last year, and that's saying a lot because I thought 2011 was one of the best years I had seen in a while.