Did Surf get it right?

The question suggests that there is a right or wrong way to design a drum corps show. That in and of itself is a fallacy.

To answer the question, if any of the distinct styles of design in modern drum corps were to become the only way shows were designed, we'd all be bored to death, and there would be nothing to bicker about on turbo nerd web boards.

• Like 1

Okay, me probably being biased, Blue Knights 2011 was probably one of the best ways to represent a drum corps show from the late 80's to the late 90's. It was fun, and it was sophisticated. It had huge brass moments, and it had a lot of crowd pleasing moments. Nothing too showy, just good drum corps.

did they have fun and did the crowd like them? Yes

did they do better than last year? yes

was it "right"? for them this year, yes

This show did make a great statement that something is missing.

I don't know how you get to this from the rest of the post.

The first three lines...yup...agree 100%. I saw them twice, and they were a lot of fun to watch. I think that being at the performance level they are at...they picked a perfect way to put on an entertaining and exciting show, regardless of placement.

With the exception of Blue Knights, I don't mind if ANY corps does a show like Surf's...as long as they play more or less complete songs like Surf did. Snippets won't cut it.

For BK, however, I hope they stay away from such shows. I'd rather see more complex and creative shows such as Avian. As long as they play more or less complete songs...like they did with Avian.

I hope they continue as you say...Avian was my favorite show of 2012.

If by getting it right you mean making people happy and giving them something they'll remember for many years that they saw and enjoyed, yes.

It depends on ones philosophy.

Also, "vague idea of a show" regarding who I think you wish to denigrate is wildly inaccurate. The show was exactly what it was intended to be, in terms of the art form and aesthetic they pursued as the show goal and objectivbes, nothing was vague. The objective was as crystal clear as Surf's in terms of what they were going for in that regard. If it were as vague as you claim, it would not have done as well as it did in Effect. Nowhere near as well.

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see which direction surf will go next season... more bridgemen, more tributes, more comedy etc.

Don't forget, when Surf was a Div II corps they did the "School's Out" show one year (one of my faves of any corps since 2000) and then the Vegas/Elvis show the next year...so 2012 is not out of character.

• Like 1

I hope they continue as you say...Avian was my favorite show of 2012.

Great show conceptually, but some of the drill design/tranitions looked really cluttered and mob-sceneish. It really hurt the show and kept them down. The horn book was quite good!

To answer the question literally... yes. Surf got it right. With regard to the corps that they had and what they wanted to achieve.

Do we need a bunch of copycats? No. One of the reasons that Surf was so enjoyable this year is that they offered something that you just didn't see with pretty much every other corps. If every other corps started doing that kind of show, then it would be tired.

I (as a member of the Bridgemen Alumni Corps) would NOT want to see Surf doing a "Bridgemania II" show next year. Keep the fun. Keep the audience engagement. Keep Sharing the Love. But strike out with your own identity, building upon the goodwill that you generated this year. The corps has made a name for themselves, now they have a great opportunity to expand upon that and make it their own. I hope that they do so.

Knowing the staff and creative minds involved, I am pretty sure that they will do just that.

To answer the question literally... yes. Surf got it right. With regard to the corps that they had and what they wanted to achieve.

Do we need a bunch of copycats? No. One of the reasons that Surf was so enjoyable this year is that they offered something that you just didn't see with pretty much every other corps. If every other corps started doing that kind of show, then it would be tired.

I (as a member of the Bridgemen Alumni Corps) would NOT want to see Surf doing a "Bridgemania II" show next year. Keep the fun. Keep the audience engagement. Keep Sharing the Love. But strike out with your own identity, building upon the goodwill that you generated this year. The corps has made a name for themselves, now they have a great opportunity to expand upon that and make it their own. I hope that they do so.

Knowing the staff and creative minds involved, I am pretty sure that they will do just that.

As I said in another thread...next year "Spamalot"! :thumbup:

there were many advantages to doing this show this year . most of all THEY GOT NOTICED and thats not easy to do. It also provided alot of Nostaglia for many , bringing many back to their youth and also doing a show not done by many over the decades. With that said , what Bridgemen did BITD was also at an excellent high level of technical performace. Skits,silliness, props, what seemed like a free for all, was carefully thought out and rehearsed with intensity to make it look all so random and effortless. If Surf or anyone chooses to do these types of shows, which could be great to see again IMO it must be done at a very high level like Bridgemen did otherwise it could get old fast and have a reverse effect. Ive seen that happen before with some also. JMO