The Teal Sound Debacle

If it would have been a financial burden to either the Glassmen or the Colts, they would not have taken on those members.

I think another good question is what were those corps doing with that many holes that late in the season?

• Like 7

$5000 in food is not much, if each of 10 members paid $500, then it would cover it.

I don't think it costs anything extra for transportation, since I doubt anyone added a vehicle to their convoy.

Yes, it took staff time and staff resources, but so does putting anyone into the show midseason. They wanted to fill the holes and the people became available.

I don't think anyone rewrote tons of drill to add spots, and that is what you would be asking the top 7 to do.

• Like 1

After Teal Sound withdrew from tour after the second week of the season. The Colts and the Glassmen and others took on about 40 or so former Tealites for the next 6 weeks. What do you think that cost those corps? Lets look at the GLassmen who took on 10 people. Consider the cost of transporting, feeding housing, instruction and providing uniforms and equipment. A rough calculation of food would go something like this(10 members x 4 meals/day x 42 days x $3/meal or about $5,040 in food). Can't imagine the cost of fuel and the bus charter to transport 10 people another 15,000 miles over 42 days. What about providing uniforms, fittings and instruments? What about the cost of additional instructional staff or the impact of having the same staff with 10 extra people. The point is there is a real cost as a result of the demise of Teal in mid season not only to the membership themselves but to the organizations which generously took them on in a moments notice.

Why is there no safety net or a plan from DCI for emegencies?

Should The top 7 corps have accepted more of the burden. DCI could have made and exception to the 150 members rule.

Who should pay? Should Teal have refunded the memberships fees to be applied to expenses incurred by Glassmen, Colts and others? Should other corps chip in who didn't accept stranded members?

If this financial burden takes down the Glassmen or Colts then what is the true cost to drum corps?

Since when did DCI become BIG GOVERNMENT. The corps that can help - will help - that is how communities work. The corps that are full and cannot help should not have extra burden for properly managing their corps.

This sounds like a bad political debate.

• Like 4

I had the opportunity to talk with adults involved with both Glassmen and Colts the day of the parade in Indy. I know the people associated with Colts were chaperons, and I'm thinking the same is true with Glassmen. We were just talking about the weather at first, but then the conversations switched from scheduling during the summer, how some handled the tour, how first timers dealt with being away from home, etc. I was so impressed with both corps and it's no surprise they opened their doors to Teal Sound members. Yes the additions probably helped both corps, but being in a supportive environment with two beloved and well established corps was a good experience for those who joined from Teal Sound.

As far as costs, the food bill would have increased for these corps, but transportation costs would not have changed since they most likely filled empty bus seats. The same with instruction. I don't believe that instructors charge per participant. My guess is that it did not change their budgets in huge ways though in tight financial times, this no small undertaking. As far as getting help from other corps, the other corps might not be in the position to help. I've never seen the books of any corps nor have I looked at DCI's books, but I'm willing ot bet we're not going to find all kinds of huge bank balances and endless cash. We've seen in numerous threads that DCI should probably be doing more to assist corps, but I'm not sure this is one of them. This is where we should prbably be assisting. Will it kill us to buy a tee-shirt or souvenir? Can we throw a few bucks in the fuel fund? I threw a buck in the fund of a corps that will remain nameless and told the person at the counter I wanted the corps visit Boston next year. He took the container and shook it and said "We need more if you want to see us in Boston." He's right. We need to be supporting the corps we love.

Finally, if we're going to give a shout-out to those who accepted Teal Sound members, we can't forget the Cascades who took in seven members and all the other corps who accepted Teal Sound members, and to those from Teal Sound who continued to march this season.

• Like 3

Finally, if we're going to give a shout-out to those who accepted Teal Sound members, we can't forget the Cascades who took in seven members and all the other corps who accepted Teal Sound members, and to those from Teal Sound who continued to march this season.

GREAT point: Those truly are heroic kids...to get body slammed by what happened originally and still find the heart to go out there are do what they could to entertain fans as best they could.

• Like 2

How many times since 1972 has this happened? Why should DCI have a plan in place? The management of each corps needs to keep a careful eye on their financial situation and make a decision based on that. If you know you don't have the money to go on a summer tour...you don't! Find another way to keep the corps together whether it's staying local and then go to Championships or to stay local for the season. The problem could have been taken care of prior to going on the tour. They should have stayed at home! Yes this would have been terrble for many kids, especially when they could have went to other corps months before tour began. I think that egos got in the way and management didn't want to chuck the season. Sometimes you have to think of others and NOT yourself!

How many times since 1972 has this happened? Why should DCI have a plan in place? The management of each corps needs to keep a careful eye on their financial situation and make a decision based on that. If you know you don't have the money to go on a summer tour...you don't! Find another way to keep the corps together whether it's staying local and then go to Championships or to stay local for the season. The problem could have been taken care of prior to going on the tour. They should have stayed at home! Yes this would have been terrble for many kids, especially when they could have went to other corps months before tour began. I think that egos got in the way and management didn't want to chuck the season. Sometimes you have to think of others and NOT yourself!

To answer your question, yes Teal is responsible for their own mess. But, that mess affected FAR more than 150 marchers and staff. As a result of one case, 38 corps ALL became covered in the stink by association. Is DCI obligated? No. But would it have been infinitely wise to have a sound exit strategy? You betcha.

• Like 1