DCA Annapolis Predictions

I guess the point is that Empire is now in a similar situation to everyone else outside they NY-NJ-PA radius.

They are at a similar competitive and financial disadvantage: no shows and no partner corps near them, the need to travel just to get a contest or evaluation, and no real return-the-favor give back by the NY-NJ-PA corps to level it out.

The only Open Corps from the NE that traveled outside "the radius" this season were Fusion (to Virginia) and Cadets2 (to Hornell). Carolina traveled inside the radius from the Carolinas THREE times....do you think the Bucs, Hurcs, Cabs could have done the same once between them?

This is a tough question...but not one that really requires more than a shrug and a "why would they bother?"

DCA is now the Far East(Bucs, Cabs, Hurricanes, Cadets2, Fusion, Bushwackers, Windsor, Sunrisers, Cabs Alumni, Bridgemen) and everyone else, and "everyone else" needs the shows in the Far East more than the shows in the Far East need them.

So far, the other corps (MBI, Renegades, CV, Kilts, etc) have figured something out. Empire is adjusting on the fly. What that means competitively will bear itself out.

TO THAT END:

Saturday Prelims

1. Bucs 96.6

2. Caballeros 95.1

3. Hurricanes 94.7

4. Minnesota Brass 94.4

5. Cadets2 92.4

6. Kidsgrove Scouts 92.2

7. Renegades 89.9

8. Empire Statesmen 89.3

9. Corps Vets 87.3

10. Fusion Core 85.1

11. Kilties 83.8

12. Bushwackers 81.0

mark it down :)

Joe Caballero

I applaude those CV members being that dedicated to drive that distance to attend rehearsal.

On our end, Carolina Gold routinely drives 400+ miles to compete. The shortest distance for us has been Nokesville, VA which was still 250 miles from Greensboro.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 2

I predict that by noon on Monday people will be #####ing about the following:

Annapolis

someone's prelims score

someone's finals score

<snip>

.....and by Tuesday, we'll be predicting Wildwood Scores !

Joe Dz

• Like 2

I guess the point is that Empire is now in a similar situation to everyone else outside they NY-NJ-PA radius.

They are at a similar competitive and financial disadvantage: no shows and no partner corps near them, the need to travel just to get a contest or evaluation, and no real return-the-favor give back by the NY-NJ-PA corps to level it out.

The only Open Corps from the NE that traveled outside "the radius" this season were Fusion (to Virginia) and Cadets2 (to Hornell). Carolina traveled inside the radius from the Carolinas THREE times....do you think the Bucs, Hurcs, Cabs could have done the same once between them?

This is a tough question...but not one that really requires more than a shrug and a "why would they bother?"

DCA is now the Far East(Bucs, Cabs, Hurricanes, Cadets2, Fusion, Bushwackers, Windsor, Sunrisers, Cabs Alumni, Bridgemen) and everyone else, and "everyone else" needs the shows in the Far East more than the shows in the Far East need them.

So far, the other corps (MBI, Renegades, CV, Kilts, etc) have figured something out. Empire is adjusting on the fly. What that means competitively will bear itself out.

there have been variations on this theme forever. I mean it was only the early 90's that Westshore was the corps furthest West in PA when Steel City went down.

could corps travel/ Sure, if it makes sense. I know some corps took a gamble on the Winston Salem thing. How'd that work out?

.....and by Tuesday, we'll be predicting Wildwood Scores !

Joe Dz

I figured tomorrow that'd start

Cabs (for example) in 2004 went to Waverly, Hershey, Endicott and Syracuse.

In 2005-2008 they went to either Rochester or Syracuse in addition to DCA.

Since 2008, they havent been outside the radius even once in a complementary situation (other than DCA).

That's a long time.

The variation is the corps' willingness to support home-and-home reciprocity.

Given the ROCK that is the Rochester/Batavia/Syracuse/Ontario drum corps audience, there is no reason that Rochester or Syracuse should not be hosting a July showcase-type show in either Rhino Stadium or MacArthur where as many corps as possible show up and split the gate (with a subsidy for distance traveled), especially since the Finals are now in Maryland.

Scranton gets this gig every year in August. A third DCA showcase event is not unreasonable, especially as a reciprocal situation. The support matrix (especially with GRVA) is already in place. And its not unreasonable, either, to expect success.

Regardless, I am going to win the prediction pool tomorrow. Mark it down. :rock:

there have been variations on this theme forever. I mean it was only the early 90's that Westshore was the corps furthest West in PA when Steel City went down.

could corps travel/ Sure, if it makes sense. I know some corps took a gamble on the Winston Salem thing. How'd that work out?

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 2

I thought that Cabs went to Lawrence, MA last year and the year before along with Bucs? I could be wrong.

I shall attempt to define art:

http://en.wikipedia....untain_(Duchamp) :thumbup:

NOW you know why I liked BD this year. :satisfied:

Fran... you left me the opening, I took it and ran with it. Thank you a zillion. :thumbup::tongue:

It's a broken link, I'm confused. What was clever about that?

Oh well, off to DCA.... smile.gif

It's a broken link, I'm confused. What was clever about that?

Oh well, off to DCA.... smile.gif

It shouldn't be broken. Look up/Google Duchamp's "Fountain" and hopefully, you'll understand. :satisfied:

If you understand what Dadaism stands for, it's clever. :winky:

I thought that Cabs went to Lawrence, MA last year and the year before along with Bucs? I could be wrong.

They were also at Lynn this season.

The Cabs host 2 shows, Grand Prix/Cabs at the beach... go to Bush's and Reading's show, Scranton, Lynn, Barnum, and Kingston. There's 8 contests- If I were figuring out the Cabs' 2013 schedule, you'd need a very good incentive for me to do something differently with that kind of schedule. They have a full plate, with several well attended/major contests as a part of it.

Not a reciprocal situation. No home-and-home reciprocity there. It is a shorter trip up 95 from "the radius" than it is from anywhere else. Further from Carolina, New York, Atlanta or Minnesota, too. Not apples and apples. (saw that one coming :blink: )