Crossmen Audition Method

I never once had to prepare an audition piece.

Yup.. If you could take discipline and fog up a mirror, you got a spot in line.

anyone who saw the semi's show knows, they gave it their all in what was perhaps the best show for them this past season.

I remember being told (not exact quote as I have slept since then) that obviously you have to have talent and ability, but that they wanted to see what you did throughout the weekend, and from one camp to the next. That would show them who is "coachable" so to speak, and has a strong work ethic to get done what needs to be done.

Also, no doubt about the semi's thing. Absolute electricity from what I have heard. We ran into some traffic on the interstate to start our trip that day, and never recovered the time enough to get there for the Crossmen. Our plan was to leave (when we could from our teaching gigs) and get there right about the time for the Troopers. But alas.......

Edited by ibexpercussion
  • Like 1

I saw that Crossmen is doing a different way of Audition than most of the other corps. Auditonees are not required to prepare a requested piece but Crossmen gives his contracts according to the progress they made over the camp.

Think thats pretty innovative, never heard of this way to audition. Is any other corps doing the same procedure?

Most corps do this... Infact how you do at the first audition camp means very little if you come back more improved.

Okay...it seems that ability to improve, adaptability and all the rest is most important...at least that's what I get from the responses I've read. Then the question remains: Why do Corps require audition pieces? Also, is Crossmen the only Corps who doesn't?

I think there's value in requiring a prepared piece for auditions. If nothing else, it tells you if the perspective member took the process seriously. But much like what Chuck said earlier, it's absolutely not the be-all end-all of the audition. When I taught at Teal Sound, the only thing I used the audition piece for was guesstimating where to start a person in the line (lead, lower, etc). And of course, that was just a starting point and subject to change at a moment's notice. We auditioned everyone (even returning vets), and let's be honest, it wasn't like anyone was ever cut then and there.

We also used the process to quickly identify folks that might be in need of a little extra TLC, like players new to the brass instrument or that horn specifically. We always took time to have small private lessons with new folks, especially at early camps. Demonstrating the educational aspect of drum corps, for us, was a two-way street.

Some corps may take the prepared piece much more seriously, some don't. I think there's value in both approaches.

Edited by Kamarag

I think if more kids knew this was how early camps work, more kids would come out.

[/quote

Wish I would have seen this 2-3 years ago. Most kids (including me), think you just show up, get evaluated and either A. Make it OR B. Get cut. But as I listen and pay more attention, I realize that it isn't all about that. Someone also commented that "if you want to do it bad enough you'll get the opportunity." I can somewhat believe that, but will they really? I ask that because I am in that situation come camp time. I really, REALLY want to do it, but my skills are nowhere near where I see drum corps skill levels being. So what does that mean? I used to think I couldn't do it cause I wasn't good enough, now it seems I actually was wrong the entire time.

It really is much different nowadays than it was BITD (late 80's) eh.. I feel old.

Someone also commented that "if you want to do it bad enough you'll get the opportunity." I can somewhat believe that, but will they really? I ask that because I am in that situation come camp time. I really, REALLY want to do it, but my skills are nowhere near where I see drum corps skill levels being. So what does that mean? I used to think I couldn't do it cause I wasn't good enough, now it seems I actually was wrong the entire time.

I can tell you that, for most corps, this is ABSOLUTELY the case. With the possible exception of the top few corps, I can assure you that when push comes to shove, the spots on the field go to the perspective members that show up, listen, do what they are told, are motivated to get better, and most of all, show good work ethic. Talent is great, but as someone who has taught before, most corps will take a motivated, teachable kid with little experience over the most talented d-bag EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Very few corps, especially in the brass line, are in a position to cut based on talent alone. It's great if your corps can, but it is very rare.

Hoping they have huge vet retention for 2013. With only 22 aging out, I can see the audition process to be very intense. And if it's anything like 1990, oh boy.

Edited by xbones7480
  • Like 1

I can tell you that, for most corps, this is ABSOLUTELY the case. With the possible exception of the top few corps, I can assure you that when push comes to shove, the spots on the field go to the perspective members that show up, listen, do what they are told, are motivated to get better, and most of all, show good work ethic. Talent is great, but as someone who has taught before, most corps will take a motivated, teachable kid with little experience over the most talented d-bag EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Very few corps, especially in the brass line, are in a position to cut based on talent alone. It's great if your corps can, but it is very rare.

Well, on that note...outstanding :thumbup: