Crossmen Audition Method

That's pretty typical. Just play two etudes or short excerpts that you are comfortable playing...that show off your playing in the best possible way. These don't have to be hard, just contrasting in style.

Thanks, and yeah I understand, I was just wondering how this was different then what this thread was talking about.

Sorry this is late, but I have signed up for the Crossmen camp this year

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

So... not sure if this is off topic or anything but I'm auditioning for Bluecoats, and I've got a Crossmen friend that says they judge "purely on musical ability". First off, I'm wondering if this is true or semi-true, and if it is true, how they go about doing it.

I mean... obviously you have to play the instrument, and the better you are the better chance you have.

but DCI lines are not full of ridiculously amazing (by college standards) musicians... they are good musicians that bust their ### to get better every rep, musically and visually.

I think I can address this directly, at least from a brass point of view.

The playing part of the audition is important but not the end all, be all. As Chuck said the willingness to take instruction and apply it immediately is critical. The Brass Staff AND the Visual Staff are involved in "The Process."

It might take a a couple of camps, sometimes more, for an individual to get a marching spot. We look for for people who really want a spot and are willing to fight for it. Very, very rarely the last couple of years have we cut someone outright and it is almost always because of visual issues.

That being said, every year is a different competitive dynamic. Any corps after a competitively successful year see an uptick in interest, and the Crossmen will not be different in this regard.

Important factors in making the Crossmen or any corps, really are:

Ability- Musical and Visual

Teachability- willingness to take instruction and apply it.

Being in shape- you do not have to be a marathon runner from the get go, but it does not hurt.

Being at rehearsals in the winter AND being at spring training.

Taking care of business, i.e. school work. Every year people have to bail from drum corps when they can't handle school work and put themselves in scholastic jeopardy.

And, yes...MONEY. That is part of it. When I marched diesel fuel was not over 3.50 a gallon. It is expensive to run a drum corps down the road. Especially the kind of tours we seem to have to do now days (a separate discussion).

I wish drum corps was not as expensive as it has become, but alas it has, and the ability to follow thru on the financial commitment is a deal breaker.

Marching in any drum corps is a big, big commitment of time and money. It will test an individual like very few things will. Bottom line, drum corps need members who are tough and willing to hang in during tough times and go out 30 plus times and bring it, regardless of the number and placement, good day, rotten day, rain, shine. Drum Corps is not for everyone. The people who make into a drum corps and finish a season or seasons are rare birds. That is what the audition process tries illicit from a potential member.

• Like 2

I remember we did have to play some assigned etudes when we audition. Though I know for a fact that the brass staff was very interested in the "fighters" who improved from camp to camp, having kids play assigned etudes does have a purpose. There is a simple fact that some people really just arent good enough for drum corps. And playing assigned pieces that they have much time to prepare, you can weed out those kids who you know in your gut arent right for the activity. If someone has months to prepare a piece and still struggle at it in November, they may need to take the year to improve before they come back. And there are select individuals like myself that are told they do not need to come to the next camp, and show up anyway, again and again. Those "fighters" are the ones that shine in that kind of system. I was the last tuba player to be given a contract, yet by the end of the season the only one to not be cut from a single part. I also don't like giving kids false hope, because these camps cost time and money to the individual, and if they arent good enough, and you are telling them to show up and give you money every month just to say "Maybe next time kid." That kinda just makes me go :glare:.

• Like 1

Those "fighters" are the ones that shine in that kind of system. I was the last tuba player to be given a contract, yet by the end of the season the only one to not be cut from a single part. I also don't like giving kids false hope, because these camps cost time and money to the individual, and if they arent good enough, and you are telling them to show up and give you money every month just to say "Maybe next time kid." That kinda just makes me go :glare:.

so to be fair... your first year, you were told you weren't good enough, but you made it anyway. What if the staff told you "maybe at the next camp"??

In 2007, I was told at the first camp that I didn't have a spot, as a vet. The staff claimed there was a lot more talent this year. Well, I showed up at the next camp, and there were only like 12 baritones. Guess all that talent the caption head thought he had didn't actually want to march drum corps.

so to be fair... your first year, you were told you weren't good enough, but you made it anyway. What if the staff told you "maybe at the next camp"??

In 2007, I was told at the first camp that I didn't have a spot, as a vet. The staff claimed there was a lot more talent this year. Well, I showed up at the next camp, and there were only like 12 baritones. Guess all that talent the caption head thought he had didn't actually want to march drum corps.

You are right to an extent. That does happen and I have seen it happen. The point I was trying to make is that there are the kids that you tell arent good enough that dont come back. And that is perfectly fine, come back next year and it might happen. And then there are the kids you tell arent good enough, and they come back anyway. Again, and again. And their spirit forces you to put them into a spot. My thing is, that there are hundreds of kids that show up in November. And yes, some of them obviously arent experienced enough and will not make the cut. To me, its almost a disservice to keep them on a string, and have them come back and spend $100+- per camp when you know in your heart that they arent going to make it. And sure there are diamonds in the rough that just maybe freaked out during an audition or whatever, but those are normally the kids who come back when you tell them they dont need to anyway.

I'm a 3rd year music ed major at University of North Texas sax player. For months I have been deciding if I should march next summer, which would be my last, or not. In May, I started learning mello and after 3 weeks, I just stopped because I decided not to do it. Then 5 days ago, I really got the fire going and I fully intent to audition for Crossmen, Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment. So far, I feel like I have been improving every day with 45 min of practice. In 3 months, I have no idea where I will be, but I hope to be proficent enough to play. From a visual satndpoint, I feel I am very good and able to take instruction and make progress immediately. As this is my last chance to audition, I really want this to happen. Thoughts? Thanks, any comments are appreciated!