HS Marchers

or you can be hard headed and unwilling to compromise which will force the employer to keep you at work - making you a little more bitter. Always being right does not make a person correct. This also ends up creating a situation where the employer may evaluate your team skills, dedication and abilities. I guess that is a personal decision.

Scenario 1: A high school student is in a high school band and a touring corps; there is an audition day in late July for the high school band; kid leaves tour for three days (two days travel and one day audition); band camp begins the Thursday of Finals week and goes for two-weeks after; kid is allowed to miss that first Th and Fri of band camp; fine; great compromise because it only entails a very few days out of both band and corps.

Scenario 2: A high school student is in band and Corps; the high school has a week playing camp in June, a week audition camp in early July, and a two-and-a-half week band camp in late July and the first of Aug. Ummmm.... make a choice, corps or band. Why? Because of the huge amount of 'required' time for every other kid to attend 'all' of those weeks at the high school. And the value of making a commitment to one organization or the other when there is that much time commitment conflict is what needs to be instilled at the high school level.

Get my drift here?

Edited by Stu

OP of the thread.... Talk with your counselors and academic deans. Usually if you miss more than the alotted time there's a way to make up those days. As long as they're willing to help and you're willing to do it- It's drum corps time for u!!!

Stu more power to you and what you believe! I'm gonna continue to push kids to be involved and do what they love. If a young person chooses a job later in life but loved basketball he can still practice and hone those skills. Who knows maybe the dream of being a basketball player was along the dream of a lifetime! I'm gonna push students to chase and work for their dreams..... ALL OF THEM!!!

Wes P

Scene 1: Win Win.

scene 2: simple decision. One or the other and a parents life lesson discussion with their child.

As a kid, I chose band in scene 2 because I realized at that age that I was a part of one of the best high school band programs in the country. Plus, I would not have been able to make a winter camp due to symphonic band and wind symphony priorities. Other kids in different programs would choose differently. If there is that much conflict, it is deciding a path, which I have said.

Edited by Kevin Powell

I am not going to pick on ya because you are a kid; but what you may not realize is that if I were reading it as a band mate of yours or the director of your band program I would read...

You wrote > "When i showed up to camp i memorized my music before people that worked on it all summer"

What I read as a band mate of yours is: "Many of the kids in my band who do not march corps are flat stupid or lazy."

You wrote > "the rest of the brass players weren't the best and he needed a strong player to balance it out."

What I read as your band director is: "My band director is a horrible brass teacher."

Again, not picking on ya, and you probably did not realize that you were making those statements in that manner; but it does show why I have a problem with HS kids not being forced to choose between band and corps.

ok so you exaggerate what this guy's saying, re-wording it so that he sounds like an ignorant person when he really was just stating facts, then you say you're not picking on him? And you acknowledged that he was a kid. What you were just doing there wasn't right, bending his words and trying to sound "nice" about it.

Edit:

Sorry I really don't want to start any sort of moralistic arguments, I just wanted to put this out there because I just read your post and this popped in my mind.

Edited by Ch1k3n
  • Like 1

ok so you exaggerate what this guy's saying, re-wording it so that he sounds like an ignorant person when he really was just stating facts, then you say you're not picking on him? And you acknowledged that he was a kid. What you were just doing there wasn't right, bending his words and trying to sound "nice" about it.

he's determined to preach his rant against the "entitlement generation" and no one and no thing is going to stand in his way mat.gif

back on topic:

In my experience ,at least ,every kid who's marched corps has been a net benefit to the program. They do miss some summer instruction BUT the instruction they're getting on an every day basis seems to make up for it :-) They come back leading by example which IMO is the best kind of leadership a unit can have. Haven't had a problem with kids being cocky or full-of-themselves. I think it's great and encourage all our kids who truly have the "bug" to go march. OTOH our mandatory stuff lines up with finals every year so they don't miss actual "band camp".

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

he's determined to preach his rant against the "entitlement generation" and no one and no thing is going to stand in his way mat.gif

Is this where we insert a statement about how this is all the fault of the "G7"?

We are not talking about compromising on a few hours, or a day here and there, to attend a one-time event. But missing weeks and weeks of work, school, camp, etc... that is not compromise, but a selfish grab at 'I want what I want when I want it' which it appears many school teachers are willing to give over to their youth.

I disagree.

If someone with authority puts their foot down, then choices have to be made. Until then, there is no reason to not try to do whatever you want. You never know if you don't ask, right?

I disagree.

If someone with authority puts their foot down, then choices have to be made. Until then, there is no reason to not try to do whatever you want. You never know if you don't ask, right?

You are wrong...

You are wrong on this level and you are wrong on that level. You are wrong in so many ways that I cannot even describe.

Just kidding. Actually YES. Communication is the best tool in this situation. It will help create a better informed decision if there is conflict and most likely improve relations with the director.

Edited by Kevin Powell
  • Like 2