Dear Dinosaurs

So let me get this straight... you're complaining on an Internet message board about the fact that people complain on Internet message boards?

:w00t:

Guess who made more in merchandising?

The truest gauge of a group, year on year, is gross merchandising revenues.

Merchandising revenues tend to reflect overall audience interest and impression in a given season.

this year? probably Crown based on the lines I saw

Guess who made more in merchandising?

At Finals, Crown had longer lines than BD (not that BD's booth looked unpopular!) but Phantom was clearly the biggest draw.

(And as anecdotal evidence contrary to your argument that show appeal correlates directly with souvenir sales: Crown's show was my favorite, but I wasn't in love with the design of their shirt. Instead I bought a Boston shirt, and I would have bought a Phantom shirt if the line were shorter. [At Michigan City I bought shirts from Legends and SCVC.])

So Wayne Downey is a Dinosaur? He was marching in the 60's and is still with BD. He's older than me.

• Like 1

Drum corps has always changed, will always change..

The Opera atarted in Italy in 1597. It fundamentally has not changed in over 400 years.

What would happen if the General Manager of the Mew York Metropolitan Opera ( Peter Gelb ) decided to tell his Opera Patrons that next season he was going to " modernize the Opera " by changing all the Operas performed there into English ?

I know.. its a silly question. The change would be rejected in a heartbeat and he'd be booted out of the Met.

You don't change the Opera or the Symphony Orchestra... the patrons of these would draw and quarter you for such a heretical suggestion. They want them to stay exactly as they have been for the next 400 years.

Edited by BRASSO

... The notion that competitive placement and the national audience reception levels to Corps are directly related and that " merchandising sales " are "the best gauge" ( your words ) of audiences level of reception to shows is just plain silly, imo....

I've heard it straight from the mouths of senior corps officials: Nothing influences souvie sales more than competitive success. Win and you sell more. That's what they believe based on the numbers they've seen. Now I don't know how that translates between Blue Stars in 11th and Blue Stars in 8th. But for BD, Cadets or Cavies, winning is the single biggest driver of sales.

Even if you choose to be skeptical that souvie sales track audience affection for the program, it's tough to make the argument that the audience is buying from a group it DOESN'T support.

HH

Not sure I agree with the Chop Bop of Suncoast 88 .... I'm pretty sure that's how the tunes went man :P

That one was my only issue in the list also. How was Suncoast 88 chop and bop?

I agree on the guard uniform, but it did fit the child's imagination theme.

You said it, not any of us!

BTW Dino's??? Come on! Before you marched (you did right?) many of us and others before us helped change drum corps to what it evolved to in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and 2010's. They didn't realize it but it happened. No need to call us names but if it makes you feel good....go to Annapolis next weekend and yell "Hey Dino's to members of the Cabs, Bucs, Statesmen, etc. See what you get. I am sure it will be a verbal lesson that you would learn from. 40 years ago it may have been physical. Try it, you may learn something!

I think it would be more interesting if he shouted something like that at the Alumni show on Sunday.

Ray

I would point out that you yourself are complaining about those who are complaining about the complaining but then I would be complaining about your complaining about their complaining about the complaining.

Brilliant...very Pythonesque