Colts restructures administrative staff

I could name another organization or two that could benefit from a similar structure of employing someone to be in charge of fundraising and development.

or ten...

• Like 2

By replacing the director with more insiders?

Doubtful.

They should hire Howard Weinstein.

Based on recent show and staff decision made I hope this will create a new outlook and perhaps some changes that will allow them to become competitive again.

• Like 1

Thank goodness.

I've always liked the Colts. However, I've never seen a corps do less to try to be competitive the last few years than The Colts. They have been outstandingly mediocre the past few years.

Not sure an internal hire was the right move, though. Something outside of the organization really would have shaken things up.

Best of luck to the team from Dubuque.

Thank goodness.

I've always liked the Colts. However, I've never seen a corps do less to try to be competitive the last few years than The Colts. They have been outstandingly mediocre the past few years.

Not sure an internal hire was the right move, though. Something outside of the organization really would have shaken things up.

Best of luck to the team from Dubuque.

I have in the last 12 years, the Madison Scouts under Scott Stewart in the late 90's early 2000s. Crossmen in the past few years getting as low as 17th!

• Like 3

By replacing the director with more insiders?

Doubtful.

My initial thought was the same. However, I have heard good things about Vicki Schaffer from Colts alums that I know. She's taken the Colt Cadets from playing "The Music of Sesame Street" to playing some more difficult, mature stuff, and they've been more competitive.

I would also like to see the Colts be more successful, but I'm not sure that bringing in someone from the outside is the answer.

This past summer, the Colts appeared in two Boston area shows and two local parades. I watched some practices and warm ups and spoke to a few Colts people and was impressed at the quality of the overall program. At prelims I sat near some Colts parents and they mentioned many of the members hailed from the Dubuque area or attended college in Iowa. I know "many" is not a number or statistic, but it suggested that the corps values local recruitment and involvement. I also got the chance to speak with some parents who chaperoned the Colts Cadets and from what they said, the Cadets' program is a very healthy experience of drum corps. In some ways, the Colts organization seems to be what we claim has been lost in the past few years. Keeping such a culture alive may be best served by an insider and having a former director as head of development and fundraising for such an organization is a potential goldmine. If the Colts have not been more competitive due to staleness, new blood would be important in key positions, but probably not in the director's position.

• Like 2