How many years

It sort of rocks. The sight lines and sound rock. The restrooms, concessions, parking, seating, and accesibilty in that place absolutely sucks. Not to mention the warm-up sound bleeds over into the stadium badly.

The Annapolis venue is superior in EVERY way. Location, neighborhood, parking, access, restrooms, concessions, walkways, seating, access to hotels and restaurants...you name it, Navy-Marine Corps Stadium beats out every location DCA has ever been hosted. It's not even close.

[/quotee

I loved the stadium, just beautiful. Parking plentiful. The hotel where I stayed was great. Restaurants were awesome. Annapolis folks friendly and welcoming.

A couple things that maybe could be tweaked for next year:

CLOSER rehearsal sites!! I spent WAY too much time driving back and forth to our rehearsal site ( AT LEAST 45 minutes each way,one trip took over 2 hours).

I agree that we need to do something different for mini corps. It didn't translate well on turf in a big stadium.

I & E venues. Not exactly sure what could be done, but it was awkward- banquet rooms not set up, not enough seating, no stage for performers. Difficult to see many performances as the separate venues were too far apart (except the 2 banquet rooms)

Beer- I'm not a beer drinker, so it didn't bother me, but MANY complaints heard that they stopped selling beer at 7 or 8 each evening.

Smoking- were the areas just inside each gate supposed to be designated smoking areas, or were there just no regulations at all? As a performer, spectator and brass player, I REALLY resented having to wander through the ever present cloud just inside each gate. Maryland must have very different public smoking regulations than the state where I live. Didn't like having my bags searched every time I came in and out as well.

Parking cost- couldn't we arrange for a day pass somehow? One day I had to come back and forth 3 times- $30.....Ouch...

Overall, thanks DCA and thanks Annapolis! Looking forward to next year (just wish it wasn't such a long drive, I was spoiled having it 15 minutes away).

Absolutely loved Annapolis. Even though I didn't get a chance to play tourist, there are so many things in the area to do and see. Felt totally safe wherever you went (unlike Rochester, where I was afraid to leave my hotel at times) and all of the locals were so friendly and welcoming. The people working the concessions were the nicest people anyone could experience, as were the stadium staff. Seating was great, concessions were affordable, restrooms were easily accessible, and the stadium grounds were beautiful.

Only negative was the kamikaze bugs flying around in the stadium--I was clocked in the head more than once by those.

TCF Stadium in Minneapolis would be PERFECT... just sayin satisfied.gif it'd be nice to have the east coast corps come out here for a change (even if its just for a show weekend thumbup.gif )

Aside from the schlep, TCF has the same drawback as Annapolis: If the Gophers are home that weekend, you have a problem. Baseball stadia don't have that problem, but the acoustics/sight lines aren't always ideal.

I loved Annapolis but given the realities of college football, which will always trump drum corps, perhaps the answer is to have a regional authority put a long term bid in. Using Maryland as an example, if Navy football is playing at home on Labor Day weekend in 2014, maybe College Park or even Johnny Unitas Stadium in Towson is available.

Alternately, could the logistical issues of a college venue be overcome if prelims were held on Friday (whenever the team was playing on Saturday) with Finals remaining on Sunday? Perhaps move I&E/Mini Corps to Saturday at an indoor venue or to a smaller stadium. I suppose hotel space might be an issue then, and I don't know if every corps is in town on Friday in any case.

Of course, Allentown is always an attractive option, though everyone knows the parking and warm-up drawbacks.

Edited by Phillygwm

I though Allentown did not want DCA back as it is the same weekend as the State Fair and hotel rooms are at a premium?

I though Allentown did not want DCA back as it is the same weekend as the State Fair and hotel rooms are at a premium?

exactly

""

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 1

""

TCF Stadium in Minneapolis would be PERFECT... just sayin satisfied.gif it'd be nice to have the east coast corps come out here for a change (even if its just for a show weekend thumbup.gif )

Edited by wishbonecav

My only complaint...the handicapped parking spaces were too far away from the entrances.......other than that, I loved the town, the people and the stadium, and already plan to return next year. I won't go back to Rochester..while I liked the stadium, the town was getting boring, and driving there (meaning the roads) is just impossible...

Let's work within the framework we got as opposed to what we dont got.

Pipe dreams about stadiums we cant use or that are unworkable or far off (like 2014) dont get us anywhere.

Annapolis is in the bucket. Lets impress the heck out of the drum corps community by making the most of that choice.

When you choose one venue and make a decision, it means not choosing everything else. There might be all kinds of arguments for all the unchosen ones, but what is the point in that? To say I told you so if it the one you chose doesnt work out?

DCA and Annapolis have too many POSITIVES to ignore. Let's get the word out on what we HAVE...it's pretty dang good.

We can pick up the debate for a new choice when the time is right to make it.... about a year from now.

Hmmm. Maybe Navy football on a Thursday or Friday night at the stadium, with the I&E show at a different venue (City Dock?) or at a different time. Not easy to do, I know.

But think about it... potentially, the Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps might then be available for an exhibition performance, maybe at Prelims. Or maybe not. LOL.

To borrow a quote from Det. Fontana on "Law and Order"... I'm just spit-ballin' here. Only a suggestion.

• Like 1