For Dinosaurs Only

You do know that Guardling teaches at the WC level, don't you, so he is a lot more "in the know" than most of us here.

thank you Mike...i dont claim to know more than anyone BUT just one persons perspective of maybe how it actually is or at least from a hands on perspective BUT people really dont care about that people just want to be right and thats it. Thats fine....not very productive and it really doesnt contribute anything to the activity other than i want what i had or want and thats iot..change it or else..yeah that works...theres a wealth of good experience here at time , just gotta sift through it I guess.

Here's why....if it has the potential to harm DCI financially.

So, no problem then.

If something can hurt DCI financially, DCI might want to disallow it. Take for example the bans on use of water, bare feet, or pyrotechnics in shows....all items that can lead to personal injury on DCI's watch. What if A&E were found to be financially damaging to DCI?

Safety issue with water? Sure. How is A&E 'damaging' to DCI?

(And by the way, pre-recorded singing/dialogue is running rampant in DCI....don't know how you could have missed it. You did go to a show this year, right?)

I meant spoken dialogue by the members, a la Cadets 2007 and 2008. I wasn't clear on that.

Sorry Mike but this is a little too Polyanna for me.

There were problems back then. There are problems now. DCI is not, has never been, will never be, perfect.

Maybe we're talking about different things...I am referring to shows and performance rules, instrumentation...that sort of thing. Sure, there were lots of infrastructure problems back then in and out of DCI, primarily financial in nature...and there are today as well.

Maybe we're talking about different things...I am referring to shows and performance rules, instrumentation...that sort of thing. Sure, there were lots of infrastructure problems back then in and out of DCI, primarily financial in nature...and there are today as well.

When you said there was nothing "wrong" then and there's nothing "wrong" now - I have to disagree on both counts.

There are great and boring shows in both eras. Good and bad management decisions by individual corps and DCI in both eras. To say nothing is wrong then or now is really doing the three monkey act, in my opinion.

It's too late to fix problems in the 60s and 70s, but being blind to the problems of today is suicidal for the activity.

When you said there was nothing "wrong" then and there's nothing "wrong" now - I have to disagree on both counts.

There are great and boring shows in both eras. Good and bad management decisions by individual corps and DCI in both eras. To say nothing is wrong then or now is really doing the three monkey act, in my opinion.

I don't see a boring show as indicative that something is 'wrong'...it just means a bad design choice. I interpret, maybe incorrectly, that saying something is 'wrong' is aimed at something activity-wide, not something like one corps or another creating a boring show.

BTW...boring is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. I happen to really like 2002 Glassmen...something many DCP-ers of that era would disagree with. In fact, I think the Gmen created a t-shirt poking fun at that 'we are boring' image.

not true.....bitd when there was alot of movement it was a hot mess ....subjective even more than now even though it was a so called tic system......movement is fine BUT..you cant leave this to an audience with no criteria..thats insane..

I made no such suggestion. And if I did, it would not leave any more than 5% - 10% of the score to anyone other than the regular judging panels.

and how would you do that them...what would make the judging fair at all?

How would it be unfair?

judging has many flaws but leaving it to and audience is another can of worms.....if thats what people want then do away with judging all together..i would venture to say that would be the death of drum corps and fast for many reasons

If it scares you that much, perhaps there is some merit in it. :tongue:

I made no such suggestion. And if I did, it would not leave any more than 5% - 10% of the score to anyone other than the regular judging panels.

How would it be unfair?

If it scares you that much, perhaps there is some merit in it. :tongue:

put yourself in a teaching position.....how do you account for 5 or 10 % of a score that you dont know a criteria for..think of the 5 or 10 % and how it can change things for a corps that worked on things, things tangibal or at least can be argued , tell 150 kids oh well you really won but tonights audience full of people who love corps B because of region, bias or maybe just because you won to many times and THEY think its time for another.... :satisfied:

Edited by GUARDLING