DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

I do have a question regarding judging.

Is the crowd reaction part of the scoring?

If not, then when did it become proper for judges to stand and applaud a mini that they are judging? I really liked Stars 1812 last year but was really shocked to see the judges, who are supposed to be objective, giving them a standing O!

Just wondering....... :blink:

Thanks, JR

dude, after this post, I love you. platonically speaking in that man give ya a free beer kind of way

THAT IS PART OF THE FUN!!!!!!!

As STUPID as it may sound...a big THANK YOU is an HONEST response!

Objective doesnt mean you dont enjoy it, sit stoically and write down a number! This ain't figure skating, its DRUM CORPS. :w00t:

Bias comes from before the first note is played. Appreciation comes after the last note! Cannons and overtures that explode you from your seat are a good reason to write down a 99 :thumbup:

If Howie and Howard and Mrs Ozzy can stand and clap, so can these guys!!

It's not life or death...it's Mini Corps!

If not, then when did it become proper for judges to stand and applaud a mini that they are judging? I really liked Stars 1812 last year but was really shocked to see the judges, who are supposed to be objective, giving them a standing O!

Edited by wishbonecav

NO, the present field of mini's are not DCA members. THEY ALL STOPPED DOING IT! Maybe they couldn't figure out what the judges wanted either! DCA likes the mini's as it gives people another reason to attend finals weekend.

In case you don't know, the mini's pay an entrance fee to perform, just as other I&E performers do. I believe that they also have to pay ascap (I think I got it right?!) for the rights to perform the music. Add to this what they pay the arranger and it adds up!

The LEAST the judges could do is to provide some feedback.

Ok. So, you pay a fee. DCA pays money for a place for you to perform. Does your fees cover that? Odds are no. But DCA does it to be nice, and they do not charge admission.

So, then to come in here and throw a ####### temper tantrum.....what does that accomplish?

if anything it does more of what several of these tantrums over the years have done.....

turn people off on mini corps. Why? because year in and year out, it seems there more drama attached to that event than anything else all weekend. The only exception may be in 2006 when the weather at prelims tied mini corps for amount of drama and hissy fits

If minis are judges on GE sheets, it's more than appropriate.

• Like 1

If it were up to me, here's what I would do for mini-corps at DCA.

1. The only rules are those regarding stage size, maximum time allotted, and total number of members. The venue will provide one circuit via three pronged extension chord. All instruments and equipment must fit within the defined stage.

2. Any instruments or props are allowed, with no restrictions. If you can get it in the venue and on/off the defined stage, go for it.

3. Create a mini-corps only sheet that emphasizes music effect. The DCA Open/A sheet will no longer be used.

4. Two judges will be used. One sanctioned DCA music judge, and one "contest winner" drawn from a hat in advance (here's where DCP sponsors the open contest to pick the judge from any and all that apply). The scores given by the two judges are averaged.

5. Whoever wins cleans up the venue after the show.

• Like 1

As a point of fact, yes we did offer to pay for tapes several years ago in order to resolve this issue.

The whole "DCA lets the mini corps perform there" is a cheap cop-out.

There is an obvious and beneficial symbiosis between DCA and Mini Corps in which the venue gives participants a chance to perform in front of a crowd, while DCA benefits by providing an attraction for fans on the Friday night before prelims. By the way, the local Chamber of Commerce also benefits by having extra people in town spending money that might not otherwise be there that early in the week (Mini Corps typically arrive on Thursday).

No one on here is suggesting that the manner in which the Mini Corps show was run was anything less than exemplary. 2012 was in fact the most enjoyable time that I've had at the event going back to my first year in 2006. The coordination, venue, and community were all first class, and I absolutely love Annapolis and it's friendly people.

Donny was 100% correct in that this was the wrong forum to discuss this topic, as there are too many people that can't wait to give an opinion - whether it is informed or not.

Paul

no offense, but there is nothing cheap about it when DCA doesn't charge a dime, and I'll tell you why:

few people would come. why do you think mini corps shows that charged for tickets have not gone anywhere? Fewwanted to pay to see it.

Yes the local chamber benefits, but for the amount of annual headaches DCA goes through, they don't get nearly enough money.

LOVE. LOVE, LOVE the contest winner idea!

Of course, you'll hear about the potential conflicts to objectivity and blah blah blah.

But how fun would that "unknown quantity" be if Grandma Jones, at her first show ever, happened to win the drawing? Awesome!

She might even write a COMMENT on her sheet like, "I didnt like it, it was too darn LOUD."

HILARIOUS!!!

Can you imagine the FUN we'd have with that post-show over a few beers??

If it were up to me, here's what I would do for mini-corps at DCA.

1. The only rules are those regarding stage size, maximum time allotted, and total number of members. The venue will provide one circuit via three pronged extension chord. All instruments and equipment must fit within the defined stage.

2. Any instruments or props are allowed, with no restrictions. If you can get it in the venue and on/off the defined stage, go for it.

3. Create a mini-corps only sheet that emphasizes music effect. The DCA Open/A sheet will no longer be used.

4. Two judges will be used. One sanctioned DCA music judge, and one "contest winner" drawn from a hat in advance (here's where DCP sponsors the open contest to pick the judge from any and all that apply). The scores given by the two judges are averaged.

5. Whoever wins cleans up the venue after the show.

Edited by wishbonecav

LOVE. LOVE, LOVE the contest winner idea!

Of course, you'll hear about the potential conflicts to objectivity and blah blah blah.

But how fun would that "unknown quantity" be if Grandma Jones, at her first show ever, happened to win the drawing? Awesome!

She might even write a COMMENT on her sheet like, "I didnt like it, it was too darn LOUD."

HILARIOUS!!!

Can you imagine the FUN we'd have with that post-show over a few beers??

as long as she made tapes

:devil: