DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

Who would have thought that I would be the voice of reason in this thread?

There are some valid points being made from the positive and negative. As a person of interest associated with a mini corps and also someone that has acted in the past as a liason of sorts for this venue to DCA, I understand both sides. I really hope NOT to sound like "sour grapes" as Jay puts it.

If this venue was just an exhibiton or only judged by fans, then most liksly the corps wouldn't be as good as they are. There is a bunch of dedication and sweat that is put in to the corps DCA performances. Personally, I see that it has changed and that is not all bad. If it come too competitive and that is the reason to do it, that is the wrong reason, but the fact that it is a competition makes the corps better. That is the fact of the matter.

Because I am a participant of a corps that has been showing up at this event for 17 years, these guys take it kinda serious as well. I have stated that the talent level of this group, while very good, is not up to the talent levels of some our competitiors. We have come to terms with that, That again is true. If there were no competition, I am wondering would they care to work as haed as they do to get as good as they get?????

DCP is a place to vent I suppose, but I watch carefully what I say and how I say it on here. Realizing that what Jay said is true...the directors arent worried about this event and wish at times it didnt exist so they could practice longer on Friday, it is undeniably an event that has become a DCA attraction. There are some that still love entertaining a DCA type crowd, but cannot keep up with the physical demands of marching members of a top line DCA corps, That is what it is supposed to be about.

We all may not have like the OP's original starting point of this thread, but he is entitled to his thoughts. If Jeff and John don't want to buy into it, that is also their perrogative.

I am hoping that this type of banter doesnt cause DCA to pull the plug on something that in my eyes has become a Friday opening night attraction. There are people, including me, that want this venue to continue and succeed and are willing to do something about. I will not come on here complaining about placements or scores, but will look to improve things logically if there are opportunites to do so. I am here to tell you that Kevin Hassan has been nothing but interested and cooperative in making this happen.

Honestly, the Ghost Riders did the best we could with the talent we have. If that is 3rd, the other two groups were awfully good. I knew going in that we were outmanned, but that doesnt mean the audience should get shorted because we didnt win the show.

I also think that the tapes are being suggested for score and placement validation rather than what to do next year to improve, but that is neither here nor there. The venue has morphed into something that no one expected and rules just havent moved along at the same parallel...that is all it really is.

DA

• Like 4

I am fairly new to DCA and I don't want my comments to be construed as criticism so I will apologize in advance.

Last year I had a concern that our I&E sheet for Ensemble had nothing more than a number on it. I contacted Dick Pronti and expressed my concern. He was apologetic and stated that the judges were supposed to put constructive comments on the sheets. I posted here and asked the question if others experienced the same and they had. My post was not to slam DCA but to have some dialog in a public forum. When Kevin Hassan was given the I&E responsibility I sent my comments to him as well. The Rocketeers got comments this year. Thank you!

When I had posted my comments last year I also asked several questions about the mini corps "class". someone made the comment that "mini corps is not a DCA class". This may be true but maybe it is time to make it one. In this thread I saw the comment "You aren't DCA members. Be glad they give you the opportunity to play". This made me wonder why is that? I have asked DCA before about membership and it had to do with what level you were competing at. Why is there not some kind of affiliate membership to cover ensembles, mini corps, alumni corps?

When The Rocketeers first applied to compete I&E last year we got a nice email welcoming us and congratulating us on being the first DCA corps from Alabama. So what do we do to become a member corps. I am sure there are many groups that competed at I&E that are not "members" but given the chance they would be. Likewise I see this as a benefit to DCA. Currently they have a list of "Member Corps" but if someone is brand new to DCA and looking for a corps , small groups that are not competing don't seem to exist. If someone is looking for info on DCA for a corps that did not compete this year you get nothing. Not everyone can participate in a competing marching corps however they may be interested in finding an ensemble to play with. They may have an interest in helping with a corps like MCL or Alliance that was inactive in the current season but in a rebuilding phase.

So that is my few cents worth.

Bill

Edited by BrassCats
  • Like 2

I have always felt that the mini corps was a great option for many performers who love the activity, who love to entertain and were near finished with the "marching" aspect of Drum Corps. Now I know that there are many participants who probably still do both field and mini corps. This is an activity I have wanted to start out my way for quite some time and god knows there are enough drum corps people in this area to get one started.

The one thing I feared is this constant need to "push the envelope" so to speak. Generally the envelope that gets pushed is the visual side of the activity. Once you have maximized the performers abilities musically, there is no where to turn but to go to the visual side. Then I think you have turned the activity into something that an original groups didn't buy into. They wanted to play, they wanted to entertain, they wanted to have fun. Now more has to be added to improve and your back with a mini field corps.

The judging thing could be fixed. Make it an entertainment and musicality and technique sheet. When I judge I always write comments and lots of them. Some judges look to the tape or digital to do that rather than write. If they are uncomfortable making taped comments and don't write much.....then you don't have an adjudicator that fits what you need. The judge coordinator should lay this out specifically that the groups are looking for taped and written feedback for improvement. That is also an easy fix.

Maybe this activity just needs to go back to its beginnings somewhat and be that fun activity. Let the music and the entertainment lead the activity. Judge it but create your own system specific to the activity. Maybe that will bring the groups back for more.

Am I way off base

PAUSE BUTTON

Let's put this on the back burner a few minutes and see if there's a way to help Bob and the Bushwackers.

Let's NOT talk about the Bushwackers here...start a new thread if you feel compelled.

We'll stay on topic....but let's pause a few minutes to each make a personal decision re: their fundraising effort.

Who would have thought that I would be the voice of reason in this thread?

There are some valid points being made from the positive and negative. As a person of interest associated with a mini corps and also someone that has acted in the past as a liason of sorts for this venue to DCA, I understand both sides. I really hope NOT to sound like "sour grapes" as Jay puts it.

If this venue was just an exhibiton or only judged by fans, then most liksly the corps wouldn't be as good as they are. There is a bunch of dedication and sweat that is put in to the corps DCA performances. Personally, I see that it has changed and that is not all bad. If it come too competitive and that is the reason to do it, that is the wrong reason, but the fact that it is a competition makes the corps better. That is the fact of the matter.

Because I am a participant of a corps that has been showing up at this event for 17 years, these guys take it kinda serious as well. I have stated that the talent level of this group, while very good, is not up to the talent levels of some our competitiors. We have come to terms with that, That again is true. If there were no competition, I am wondering would they care to work as haed as they do to get as good as they get?????

DCP is a place to vent I suppose, but I watch carefully what I say and how I say it on here. Realizing that what Jay said is true...the directors arent worried about this event and wish at times it didnt exist so they could practice longer on Friday, it is undeniably an event that has become a DCA attraction. There are some that still love entertaining a DCA type crowd, but cannot keep up with the physical demands of marching members of a top line DCA corps, That is what it is supposed to be about.

We all may not have like the OP's original starting point of this thread, but he is entitled to his thoughts. If Jeff and John don't want to buy into it, that is also their perrogative.

I am hoping that this type of banter doesnt cause DCA to pull the plug on something that in my eyes has become a Friday opening night attraction. There are people, including me, that want this venue to continue and succeed and are willing to do something about. I will not come on here complaining about placements or scores, but will look to improve things logically if there are opportunites to do so. I am here to tell you that Kevin Hassan has been nothing but interested and cooperative in making this happen.

Honestly, the Ghost Riders did the best we could with the talent we have. If that is 3rd, the other two groups were awfully good. I knew going in that we were outmanned, but that doesnt mean the audience should get shorted because we didnt win the show.

I also think that the tapes are being suggested for score and placement validation rather than what to do next year to improve, but that is neither here nor there. The venue has morphed into something that no one expected and rules just havent moved along at the same parallel...that is all it really is.

DA

for the record, I hope mini corps continues. it's just the rest of them need to approach it like you do.

I & E showcase; audition by video, selection committee, acts scheduled on same slate as mini-corps, huge crowd, maybe you get a score, maybe you don't (maybe just announce the winner...Fran could create the tension), standing-o's guaranteed if you do it right, big party at the end with beer. :beer:

for the record, I hope mini corps continues. it's just the rest of them need to approach it like you do.

Edited by wishbonecav

I dunno about the rest of you, but I'll be at the dock :)

See you there John. Happen to like the Minis because they can be so different from the field show corps. Rather have the effort go into the music end instead of worrying about a lot of drill. For my tastes the "Jersey Boys" show from SineWave(sp?) a few years back was just the right blend or music and movement.

Minis have a rep of making tons of demands and creating drama.

kinda like DCA has a rep for being a bunch of old drunks in a corps?,..........come on, things do change.......let's get a little more constructive.

if I&E is all about just blowwing off some steam for the competing field corps members, then so be it,...........but the mini corps, unlike all other I&E compeditors are held to a higher standard by DCA, as they are treated just like a competing field corps when it comes to entering the catagory to compete,..........that in itself should be cause to be treated to a higher standard of adjudication,..............if DCA dropped all of the licensing and insurance requirements, which in turn would not allow them to produce the recordings, then I think all of the discussion would simply go away,........but you can't have it both ways without some sort of fallout,.......

Edited by Gary Matczak
  • Like 1

Connie Breen and Sal Chimera send their love

Blousmen still suck it

Phantom Vanguard will continue to kick their Blouse butt

DA still has the best penguin walk

Someone still plays with too much vibrato!

if DCA dropped all of the licensing and insurance requirements, which in turn would not allow them to produce the recordings, then I think all of the discussion would simply go away,........but you can't have it both ways without some sort of fallout,.......

But can these be dropped in any way Gary? Couldn't a corps get into legal trouble for playing music without permission even if they were not recorded or paid? And does the insurance cover just the music end or in case of accident or other problems?

No real idea on my end, just trying to clear things up.