DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

I got a minus.

I hate that. :huh2:

Which part? The I&E showcase, the "announce only the winner", or the big party at the end with beer?

Me thinks I just solved a BIG problem with announcing only the winner.

Just another "it came to me from afar" as a result of our good dialogue.

Jay solved the tape recorder thing, too.

Good talk.

• Like 1

Connie Breen and Sal Chimera send their love

Blousmen still suck it

Phantom Vanguard will continue to kick their Blouse butt

DA still has the best penguin walk

Someone still plays with too much vibrato

Finally someone that "gets it"! Thanks Kay! BTW admittedly Blouse mini is not as good as the "big corps".

DA

• Like 1

I & E showcase; audition by video, selection committee, acts scheduled on same slate as mini-corps, huge crowd, maybe you get a score, maybe you don't (maybe just announce the winner...Fran could create the tension), standing-o's guaranteed if you do it right, big party at the end with beer. :beer:

what if you gave up beer for Jack?

:devil:

Connie Breen and Sal Chimera send their love

Blousmen still suck it

Phantom Vanguard will continue to kick their Blouse butt

DA still has the best penguin walk

Someone still plays with too much vibrato!

DA added to his repertoire this year. he didn't penguin walk, but he did do a pretty convincing death at the end of WS show

I got a minus.

I hate that. :huh2:

Which part? The I&E showcase, the "announce only the winner", or the big party at the end with beer?

Me thinks I just solved a BIG problem with announcing only the winner.

Just another "it came to me from afar" as a result of our good dialogue.

Jay solved the tape recorder thing, too.

Good talk.

not it. Someone has to be a real tool for me to go there.

kinda like DCA has a rep for being a bunch of old drunks in a corps?,..........come on, things do change.......let's get a little more constructive.

if I&E is all about just blowwing off some steam for the competing field corps members, then so be it,...........but the mini corps, unlike all other I&E compeditors are held to a higher standard by DCA, as they are treated just like a competing field corps when it comes to entering the catagory to compete,..........that in itself should be cause to be treated to a higher standard of adjudication,..............if DCA dropped all of the licensing and insurance requirements, which in turn would not allow them to produce the recordings, then I think all of the discussion would simply go away,........but you can't have it both ways without some sort of fallout,.......

DCA's rep is changing. The amount of beer talk on here is maybe 10% of what it was when this place started. And hey, if Hop started a DCA corps, a guy who has trashed DCA pretty loudly in places he didn't think he could be heard, you know the game has changed.

:ph34r:

Ok so the minis are held to a higher standard. Fine. But the approach by several of it's members on here do more to hurt them then help them.

Here's an idea. if minis want tapes, a stage etc.....let them put up the $$ to rent the place, and charge admission. They can split the proceeds liek DCA member corps do from finals weekend and share points etc.

Personally, like others have said, and egads, Joey and I are agreeing more and more in here :tongue: , the need to win has hurt the genre. My first I&E I went to was in 97 or 98, the big block party in Allentown. Tons of fun. Pretty much went every year until 2007. it got old. People partying made it hard to hear the corps play, it was confusing getting from place to place ( inside, outside, across the street), and then after Star won again, the amount of wah wah wah....I said no more. I'm not alone in that thought process.

The quest to win has hurt mini corps, and I'll tell you why. one of them changed the game, and few adapted yet continue to #### and moan. You want to beat Star? Do what they do, but better! if your membership can't, then create rules that work to your advantage. How many rules proposals for on the field side of the activity were done because someone saw a way to win doing it? many.

• Like 1

Random MINUSES are kicking the snot out of my rep score. :thumbdown:

Yet...no comments or feedback....just MINUSES!! :blink:

My applause meter did better than my last post.

Apparently there is some support for that.

Time for me to :shutup:

LOOK! Another ONE!

(and what does Removed political comment mean? )

Edited by wishbonecav
Removed political comment.
  • Like 1

But can these be dropped in any way Gary? Couldn't a corps get into legal trouble for playing music without permission even if they were not recorded or paid? And does the insurance cover just the music end or in case of accident or other problems?

No real idea on my end, just trying to clear things up.

yes the corps, brass ensemble, rock band, etc. could get into trouble,.........but with DCA requiring the proof in writing, that protects DCA and the product they put their collective name on (meaning the corps, as DCA is the corps), be it shows, finals weekend, tapes, videos, etc. Believe me, this is a very good thing. Hey, if an alumni or small town corps wants to put on an exhibition at a DCI show, get your rights to perform your entire rep in order, way in advance, or you are not performing at the show.

To answer your question another way,........in legal theory, a small town corps that only plays at fairs and festival parades, even a guy on solo sop at I&E should have rights to perform their rep...........what makes writers and arrangers hungry is when someone is reproducing their material at what seemingly be for profits, be it CDs, DVDs, show ticket sales, etc. if there is money there, they want their cut,.......

DCA's rep is changing. The amount of beer talk on here is maybe 10% of what it was when this place started. And hey, if Hop started a DCA corps, a guy who has trashed DCA pretty loudly in places he didn't think he could be heard, you know the game has changed.

:ph34r:

Ok so the minis are held to a higher standard. Fine. But the approach by several of it's members on here do more to hurt them then help them.

Here's an idea. if minis want tapes, a stage etc.....let them put up the $$ to rent the place, and charge admission. They can split the proceeds liek DCA member corps do from finals weekend and share points etc.

Personally, like others have said, and egads, Joey and I are agreeing more and more in here :tongue: , the need to win has hurt the genre. My first I&E I went to was in 97 or 98, the big block party in Allentown. Tons of fun. Pretty much went every year until 2007. it got old. People partying made it hard to hear the corps play, it was confusing getting from place to place ( inside, outside, across the street), and then after Star won again, the amount of wah wah wah....I said no more. I'm not alone in that thought process.

The quest to win has hurt mini corps, and I'll tell you why. one of them changed the game, and few adapted yet continue to #### and moan. You want to beat Star? Do what they do, but better! if your membership can't, then create rules that work to your advantage. How many rules proposals for on the field side of the activity were done because someone saw a way to win doing it? many.

all good stuff,..............and in all fairness, I will admit that back in the earlier days of mini corps, random people would show up with somewhat professional recording gear, recorded the mini corps, and sold copies,...........wiser men like Lee Rudnicki and others were smart to point out that this situation simply could not go on for a myriad of reasons, which eventuated in DCA wanting to provide a mini corps DVD as part of the family of products...........

The I&E/Mini judges are unpaid. They get just one read on your show.

And based on that, you want THEM to influence your design and instruction?

actually I believe they do get a small fee.