DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

how many judges are used? 2? so charge people an extra 25 or 50 bucks..pay judges..which keeps it more lagit. mini's decide how they WANT to be judged, create a sheet...done!...will also stop a judge thinking its ok to bring a beer to the event while judging....or was that another event.... :rolleyes: lol

yes the corps, brass ensemble, rock band, etc. could get into trouble,.........but with DCA requiring the proof in writing, that protects DCA and the product they put their collective name on (meaning the corps, as DCA is the corps), be it shows, finals weekend, tapes, videos, etc.

That was my understanding.... Thought if a group performed DCA Weekend or else where) without the legalities done they might as well put the target on their backs... or other body parts. :shutup: That's why I didn't get your comment about dropping proof because of expense.

Believe me, this is a very good thing. Hey, if an alumni or small town corps wants to put on an exhibition at a DCI show, get your rights to perform your entire rep in order, way in advance, or you are not performing at the show.

Yeah way in advance... know of a corps tht was invited to a DCI event but wasn't enough time to get the DCI required paperwork together.

I am hoping that this type of banter doesnt cause DCA to pull the plug on something that in my eyes has become a Friday opening night attraction. There are people, including me, that want this venue to continue and succeed and are willing to do something about. I will not come on here complaining about placements or scores, but will look to improve things logically if there are opportunites to do so. I am here to tell you that Kevin Hassan has been nothing but interested and cooperative in making this happen.

I agree, Donny.

To me, the entire I&E/mini-corps event also is something that makes the DCA championship weekend different from the DCI championship events.

It adds a "fun factor"... something for the fans to kick back and enjoy themselves in a less-formal atmosphere... that, IMO, is for the most part missing from those DCI events.

I hope we never lose sight of the fact that DCA is supposed to be more about the fans.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Standard judge fee: $200-250/per

$750 / 7 corps = $100 bucks per.

Standard Mini Corp judge fee (performed on a volunteer, "sure i can do that" basis as a nice favor among friends, colleagues): 0

$0 / 7 corps = $0

1 cassette tape and recorder from the bottom of the closet? FREE

1 request "hey, can you make us a tape?" FREE

Mini Corps as a fan focused event: FUN

Mini Corps as a contest focused, look at me, gimme, gimme, gimme event: Not as fun.

Any event that has a 105 ceiling as a record score is not meant to be so "legit" but for in a certain tongue in cheek kinda way. It takes a certain maturity and certain sense of humor to bond with that kind of mindset and let it be ok. One where its allowed to be something less than super serious and still be cool. Call it a California mindset (which actually starts just West of Ohio, if you can believe that.. shout out to JB, JT, BS, SP, and MC)

That's really what made it fun in the first place. I suppose if one get's to their 40's and hasn't quite achieved their younger day goals, that kind of mindset is harder to understand or adopt.

I'd hate to go to the grave sad because I didnt win mini-corps at DCA. Or didnt get the judges feedback that i needed to somehow justify my drum corps existence. Yuck. :ph34r:

how many judges are used? 2? so charge people an extra 25 or 50 bucks..pay judges..which keeps it more lagit. mini's decide how they WANT to be judged, create a sheet...done!...will also stop a judge thinking its ok to bring a beer to the event while judging....or was that another event.... :rolleyes: lol

Edited by wishbonecav

Well, why isn't that ok, especially if everyone knows in advance? That's part of the flavor of the event, and one reason I suggested judging be done by more than DCA judges. The absolute worst thing that could happen to the mini-corps even is for it to take itself much more seriously.

Mini-corps are missing a huge opportunity to be a massive audience draw. They should be pushing to make judging different from the field, not more like it.

• Like 2

actually I believe they do get a small fee.

Unless things have changed recently - they are credentialed DCA judges who are not working the field contests. They do get some perks, such as show passes and a hotel room for a night or two.

Edited by HornsUp
  • Like 1

3 judges. and as far as beer, i thought it was provided to help loosen them up

Unless things have changed recently - they are credentialed DCA judges who are not working the field contests. They do get some perks, such as show passes and a hotel room for a night or two.

ok perks/fees...they get something. it isn'tlike they had no other gigs and just drove down to do it for the hell of it

Well, why isn't that ok, especially if everyone knows in advance? That's part of the flavor of the event, and one reason I suggested judging be done by more than DCA judges. The absolute worst thing that could happen to the mini-corps even is for it to take itself much more seriously.

Mini-corps are missing a huge opportunity to be a massive audience draw. They should be pushing to make judging different from the field, not more like it.

thats fine.it can be very different and thats cool BUT charge a little more to sign up and pay whoever or however you want to judge then they could get the feed back they seem to want