Early season planning where art thou?

KAW

We do what we can -- but to be a slave to DVD and CD sales is to misunderstand what this thing is all about.

Agreed, Chuck. As a competitive venture, it's about the live performance.

The CDs and DVDs allow us to relive those live performances. They exist because the live performances existed.

The live performances don't exist because the CDs and DVDs are going to exist.

Are you saying that if you let the members of each corps vote, that some corps memberships would vote to take the field with incomplete shows at the beginning of the season instead of complete ones?

Nope, not at all. I am just saying that it's not always about you. (In fact, it seldom is)

The amount of work that goes into putting one of these shows together is staggering. It is a fluid process that takes place over the course of time using judge input from early shows as well as other factors. I find it difficult to believe that, even at the very first show of the year, people were not entertained by what they saw and heard. If you don't feel you got your money's worth then you can voice your displeasure by not going next year.

...and by the way, if you did pole the corps memberships regarding this subject, I bet that the veteran members, the ones that understand the process and the progression of growth that takes place over the course of the season, would vote for an incomplete show early on. I will always try to look at things from the marching members perspective first. They are the ones out there day in and day out making it happen. I happen to feel that "it" is about them, first and foremost.

Dan

so... I asked if you were saying that members would vote to have an incomplete show, and you said "nope, not at all."

Then, you said that the members that understand drum corps would absolutely vote to have an incomplete show.

As a marching member, I wanted my show on the field the best it could be every night, to give the paying fans what they deserve. Seems like I might be in the minority though.

just to be clear, I understand that things get added over the summer and things change. But to me, to come out without a closer or the last 30 pages of drill is really unacceptable. And it will continue to happen until the corps get penalized for it. One year recently, almost everyone at the top came out with an incomplete show, and it was ridiculous. I do think that there was a conversation among DCI and the corps though, because the next year everyone came out with all their music. We will see if this continues.

btw I already voice my displeasure by not going to early season shows or the early season theater broadcast. I have a non-music 9-5 job (that doesn't have summers off) so I can't really afford to spend time going to shows where the corps are intentionally choosing to give an inferior product. The opportunity cost is too high.

But I do agree, there are a lot of people that do get cheated early season, and if you are in an area where the only shows are going to be early season, then it really does bite. Most people are aware they aren't going to see August quality shows in June, but it would be great if they did get a bigger taste of what it is going to look like.

You just summed up the West coast....why do you think we were so hyped in 2007???

I know in the two years I marched Blue Devils I had way more fun in '84 when we were getting our rear end handed to us most of the season but still worked, changed, added and then coming within a tenth at championships of winning it all than I did in '82 when we went undefeated with a more or less complete show all year.

Good thing I didn't know about this stuff, huh?

I had no idea that shows evolved over the season...quite the shock to this rook-out when Wayne started changing the end of the closer!

Seems to me that this thread boils down to two different opinions on what the heart of this activity should be. Some feel that drum corps should exist, first and foremost, for the benefit of those that choose to observe the final product. Others...ok, at least me, feel that the activity exists to serve those that choose to participate in it. So, I guess the question is who is more important in this conversation...the fans or the members? Of course I realize that both have their place, but if you have to prioritize...

...I, for one, will ALWAYS side with the members first.

Education first or Entertainment first?

Dan

Seems to me that this thread boils down to two different opinions on what the heart of this activity should be. Some feel that drum corps should exist, first and foremost, for the benefit of those that choose to observe the final product. Others...ok, at least me, feel that the activity exists to serve those that choose to participate in it. So, I guess the question is who is more important in this conversation...the fans or the members? Of course I realize that both have their place, but if you have to prioritize...

...I, for one, will ALWAYS side with the members first.

Education first or Entertainment first?

Dan

Sorry, Dan, this discussion is not about the MM's at all. It's about the staff and, if you want to make between two parties, it's between the staff and the paying fans. The MM's are exempt because they have virtually no say in how quickly the show is designed or taught to them. This is clearly about the staff and their inability to field a complete, albeit rougher than August, show out of the gate in June.

If you want to side with the MM's then fine, we agree that they are not to blame.

Staff has nearly 10 months to design and implement a show to field-ready and, the amazing thing is, they've always had that amount of time. Only in recent years has there been an increase in the number of incomplete shows being performed in June; it's not like this is a new policy or something.

The only reasons that they get away with it is because they've trained the judges to only judge "what's there", and because fans aren't made aware ahead of time that the show isn't done before the first show. The fans are the ones who get taken advantage of, not the MM's or the judges.

I'd rather see a complete show in jeans than an incomplete show in uniform.

I'd rather see a complete show that rough than an incomplete show that's rough.

I'd rather see a complete show change throughout the season than an incomplete show that changes throughout the season.

It's not about the MM's, it's about the staff and the fans.

As far as color guards assembling later due to WGI...well..ya know what...maybe someone has to decide between the two. If your in WGI...and can't commit to a corps until after WGI season...than maybe you have to sit on the sideline for that coming drum corps season. Everybody wants their cake and to eat it to. Back in my HS....we were not allowed to be in multiple sports (or in some cases activities) during the same season....it was a rule..because committing for both wasn't viable.

Except drum corps season and winter guard are not the 'same season'. Corps shows start in June.

Sorry, Dan, this discussion is not about the MM's at all. It's about the staff and, if you want to make between two parties, it's between the staff and the paying fans. The MM's are exempt because they have virtually no say in how quickly the show is designed or taught to them. This is clearly about the staff and their inability choice not to field a complete, albeit rougher than August, show out of the gate in June.

FTFY

It's pretty clear to me that most corps who don't field a complete show in June do so because they feel it's to their advantage to do so.

It doesn't bother me too much because DCI East is a 'local' show. But I'm sure it would bother me a lot if I my *only* chance to see local shows were early in the season.

Sorry, Dan, this discussion is not about the MM's at all. It's about the staff and, if you want to make between two parties, it's between the staff and the paying fans. The MM's are exempt because they have virtually no say in how quickly the show is designed or taught to them. This is clearly about the staff and their inability to field a complete, albeit rougher than August, show out of the gate in June.

If you want to side with the MM's then fine, we agree that they are not to blame.

Staff has nearly 10 months to design and implement a show to field-ready and, the amazing thing is, they've always had that amount of time. Only in recent years has there been an increase in the number of incomplete shows being performed in June; it's not like this is a new policy or something.

The only reasons that they get away with it is because they've trained the judges to only judge "what's there", and because fans aren't made aware ahead of time that the show isn't done before the first show. The fans are the ones who get taken advantage of, not the MM's or the judges.

I'd rather see a complete show in jeans than an incomplete show in uniform.

I'd rather see a complete show that rough than an incomplete show that's rough.

I'd rather see a complete show change throughout the season than an incomplete show that changes throughout the season.

It's not about the MM's, it's about the staff and the fans.

Fair enough.

Don't totally agree...but fair enough.

Dan