DCA at the Movie Theatre

DCI just announced attendance at Big, Loud, Live at over 43,000 on 600 screens.

Pretty awesome.

If the success of drum corps at the movies is already proven as a concept...and if 70 tickets per theater at $18 per is a successful screening for drum corps...and if the technology for a live feed already exists...and if a drum corps partner in Fathom events already exists....

...is it too big a stretch to believe that broadcasting DCA Finals at movie theaters in NY-NJ-PA and Upstate New York wouldnt fly?

Yes, its a Sunday;

Yes, its prime time at a movie house (holiday weekend) so the same parameters that exist for a Thursday in August wouldnt exist;

Yes, its DCA;

Yes, it would be a limited screening so the same scale that DCI gets at 600 theaters wouldnt be recognized at, say, 30

Yes, there are 100 criticisms and reasons why it might not be an overwhelming, line out the door response.

But is it possible? Or even worth looking into? Or is the pay-per-view thing for DCA (a success so far) where the conversation kinda stops.

Just a thought.

How about your thoughts??

Thinking Sunday night on Labor Day Weekend is a bad time for a lot of people to make the movies. Lot of folks are somewhere else for family and school or getting ready for something going on the next day. Even if that getting ready is just packing early to beat a rush of traffic.

I'd say better bet is adding Finals to the on-line viewing package and having it availible for the following week for viewing at peoples leisure. And leisure could be when it might be possible even if it takes all week to see the whole thing.

Couldn't make DCA last year and did the on-line viewing. Would do it again over the theater....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I think, considering DCA's regional, hardcore and loyal audience, that a PPV webcast would be the best way for them to go. Unless you luck into a regional theater chain with a satellite uplink, I'm not sure how you'd arrange it otherwise?

Mike

If DCA Finals was at the movies, it would create a reason for people to not go to finals. That is why DCI airs only quarter finals I presume.

• Like 1

There is not a chance that a DCA theater event would be as successful as DCI. Not even a fraction as successful.

I agree 100%. DCA fans base is not wide spread enough to outweigh the costs

If DCA Finals was at the movies, it would create a reason for people to not go to finals. That is why DCI airs only quarter finals I presume.

actually, DCI is losing money by not airing finals. The number of people that can't go due to issues like life, cost, hating the stadium etc but would buy to watch would make them money if they added a one time fee or added the cost to the fan network subscription.

DCA however is not at a point where it would work for them. for now, using the fan network is the way to go

• Like 1

To justify a theater broadcast, dca would need to improve the production quality. I.could envision circumstances in which I.would attend in a theater but it would have to be worth the price.

Bryan

To justify a theater broadcast, dca would need to improve the production quality. I.could envision circumstances in which I.would attend in a theater but it would have to be worth the price.

Bryan

DCA would also have to move the show to a weeknight (Monday-Thursday) to entice theaters to give up a screen to show it. There is zero chance they would do so for a Friday/Saturday/Sunday event.

• Like 1

What if it wasn't live? A re-brodcast say the Thursday night after finals, or a different slow movie day later in the fall? This would give the people that attended the live event a chance to watch it. I know even though I was there I would go to see it again. It would allow the performers a chance see it and it would be a great opportunity for both of those groups mentioned above to invite their friends along to go watch it with them and give DCA some more exposure.