A GREAT show from OSU

In full disclosure, I usually go grab food or hit the bathroom at halftime. To me, TBDBITL's pregame is hair-raising and almost patriotic, but halftime never compares to what I just saw in August in Indy. I stayed for this one, and it was a riot! There was a hive of Cornhuskers behind us, and they were thoroughly entertained.

By the way, along w/ Texas fans, I do have to say that Nebraska travels very well, and the fans are GREAT!

It's impressive, I must say...

HOWEVER.

As a notorious OSU hater (being the son of a Purdue grad and looking at both the 'Due and PSU for grad school), I will thoroughly rip them apart for "enhancing" the show with sound effects and the like that, in my opinion, are unnecessary for this kind of show . Cal just played, and everybody still knew what was being played. Besides, I liked Cal's show better with or without SFX anyways. thumbup.gif EDIT: Plus, Cal had some major balls playing a fun show like that in Stanford, of all places. I think Stanford has an idea of what "fun" bands are. tongue.gif

/bad attempt at trolling OSU

Edited by UP Drumline
  • Like 2

Brass by John Brennan, Graduate Asst. Dir.

Percussion by Aaron Bell, Perc. Instructor

Drill Design by Chris Hoch, Asst. Dir.

I used to teach with Aaron. We taught opposing drumlines in the same district until this year and we've done some indoor work together. He's doing some great stuff there. The OSU drumline has improved a ton since he took over last year.

It's impressive, I must say...

HOWEVER.

As a notorious OSU hater (being the son of a Purdue grad and looking at both the 'Due and PSU for grad school), I will thoroughly rip them apart for "enhancing" the show with sound effects and the like that, in my opinion, are unnecessary for this kind of show . Cal just played, and everybody still knew what was being played. Besides, I liked Cal's show better with or without SFX anyways. thumbup.gif EDIT: Plus, Cal had some major balls playing a fun show like that in Stanford, of all places. I think Stanford has an idea of what "fun" bands are. tongue.gif

/bad attempt at trolling OSU

As I previously commented, I had no idea what was going on, since I've never played video or computer games. Without the sound effects, I might have wondered if those formations meant they were doing a salute to bacteria.

• Like 3

Oh Michael, of course I meant to say "everybody from the Nintendo generation still knew what was being played." tongue.gif

• Like 1

Oh Michael, of course I meant to say "everybody from the Nintendo generation still knew what was being played." tongue.gif

And the time is coming when someone will bring in a vintage Nintendo console to "The Antiques Roadshow."

• Like 3

As I previously commented, I had no idea what was going on, since I've never played video or computer games. Without the sound effects, I might have wondered if those formations meant they were doing a salute to bacteria.

Out of curiosity, did you catch/get the opening segment with the Space Invaders stuff? That's pretty old school. Some of the older video game segments HAD to have sound effects, as there were no theme songs on the older Atari-era games (like Pac Man, Space Invaders, etc).

Of course, I went to tOSU (though I was never in the marching band), so I'm always impressed when the band delves into newer, hipper territory. TBDBITL does a good job, IMO (for them) of mixing old and new school stuff from week to week, but when I heard about this show Sunday morning from some alumni friends I was pretty blown away. I _NEVER_ would've guessed tOSU Marching Band would ever represent Halo! I can get Tetris, Mario Bros, Pac Man, etc. as being in tOSU Marching Band's wheel house, but not the more modern stuff.

I'm hyped that this video has gone viral, and after Dr. Woods' long esteemed tenure as director of the band, it's exciting to see the new Director find acclaim his first year in! :thumbup::thumbup:

Out of curiosity, did you catch/get the opening segment with the Space Invaders stuff? That's pretty old school.

No, I didn't "get" it as I have no idea what Space Invaders is/was.

I must have been too busy reading books or writing something. :tongue:

Great Show!!

The Halo piece was the best one of this show, but what I want to see is something done with newer, better gaming music...such as Elder Scrolls (pick a version), Battlefield (pick a version), Medal of Honor (pick a version), etc. Heck, even old stuff like Final Fantasy would be better than Tetris, for god's sake.

• Like 1

Great Show!!

The Halo piece was the best one of this show, but what I want to see is something done with newer, better gaming music...such as Elder Scrolls (pick a version), Battlefield (pick a version), Medal of Honor (pick a version), etc. Heck, even old stuff like Final Fantasy would be better than Tetris, for god's sake.

Western Michigan's Bronco Marching Band just did a video game show with Medal of Honor and Final Fantasy. Probably is up on YouTube somewhere...also a guarantee of no sound effects!