Renegades to Europe in 2013

Please don't read into the following as insinuation on my part.

It's ironic that Mr. Rudnicki was just starting a thread about DCA's marketing strategy going forward. One would ASSUME (yes I'm assuming, get over it) that unless there was something SIGNIFICANTLY SERIOUS about what happened with the Renegades in Annapolis it would not be in their best interest (from a marketing standpoint) to prohibit their return in 2013. Again I do not claim to know all the facts (in fact I know virtually none) all I know is that an organization that is the head of a multi-million dollar activity doesn't ban a corps over just a few noise complaints. The world may never know the entirety of what went into DCA's decision, but the bottom line is from a marketing standpoint, no organization (in this case drum corps) wants to align themselves with a larger organization (in this case DCA) who bans a corps based on a whim.

I think we need to channel Mulder and Scully on this one, because the truth is out there.

It's probably somewhere near the ham sandwich.

Andrew,

I was not at DCA 2012. But let me put it this way --

Assuming every single rumor or allegation ever made against the Renegades since 1999 made was true and then some ... and every other corps was in bed by 11:00 pm at DCA 2012 .... and assuming there were no mitigating factors whatsoever, and then on DCA Finals night, a Renegade cymbal player burned the stadium down to protest 10th place ...

In a million years I would not have kicked an entire corps out of DCA for the actions of a few people.

And in a billion years, I would have never accepted that punishment on behalf of an entire corps.

Maybe that example is a little ridiculous, but look -- I am not saying I would not hold people accountable, and I am not defending any behavior by anyone, even if it is behavior I have personally seen from most other corps. But holding an entire 100+ person organization accountable hurts DCA. And it's not smart. Yes, people took the moral high ground and showed everyone who is boss ... but DCA fans and corps are dwindling, so maybe that is not the best course of action to address an issue.

Anyway, what's done is done. Everyone got punished, now we move on.

Unfortunately I am with Train Wreck on this...

An excellent spin has been created and no acceptance has been offered that there was wrong doing, possibly except that DCA made a poor decision in banning the corps. Something just happens to be missing in all of this rhetoric...details about what happened to cause a suspension from a very liberal organization. It is unprecedented.

While I have been around for awhile in DCA, I have never seen this happen. And I posted I was in corps that it may be should have...but never did.

My question was and still is...How do you get banned from DCA?

Donny

Here are my thoughts on the whole thing. These are only my personal thoughts so go blow it out your rear on the whole conspiracy theories notions.

I think Renegades are being made a example of.

Since DCA has gone to the whole "all age format" we have seen a swing from older beer drinking crowd to younger kinder gentler crowd.

If it has not been handed down directly from DCA management it sure has been hinted at or suggested that corps clean their act up because I have seen it with multiple corps I have been directly involved with.

Ive seen corps abbreviate and or exclude its drinking/party policy since the "all age" era has started. Many have excluded drinking all together when on corps time which includes when the corps weekends and road trips. Even if its during downtime in your own hotel room. Some corps have adopted curfew policies when on the road. Some corps have their adults as glorified baby sitters when on the road.

No parking lot blows anymore. Annapolis stopped serving beer at 8pm. Its clear that DCA is taking the position that DCA is for the kids and not for the adult party crowd anymore. Clearly banning the Renegades from DCA this year sends a clear message to the rest of the DCA corps that this sort of behavior will not be tolerated.

Hey folks. I tried to do my best to give you straight and honest answers on here. This is my last comment on this matter, hopefully I explain myself well, because this is it. I hope. lol.

My involvement in this chaotic matter came out of the blue, and came down to making an appeal to the DCA Board on behalf of the Renegades to get their final decision reversed. As a matter of principle and strategy, I treated the appeal as if every allegation and rumor was true. In other words, I wasn't defending anything or talking about anyone -- our discussion focused on the policy of kicking a corps out of DCA for any period of time, for the alleged actions of a few members -- whatever the underlying reason was, and whatever corps we were talking about. It was not a personal battle, it was a policy argument. If you think about it, it had to be, because I wasn't at DCA 2012.

Ultimately, I failed to persuade anyone to change the decision, which was made difficult because my predecessor (who was not at DCA 2012 either) agreed with the decision on behalf of people that had no idea this was happening. My apologies to everyone concerned that I failed to get the decision reversed. Now, buyer beware -- the formal precedent has been set. If a few of your members allegedly screw up bad enough in 2013, your corps is out of DCA. That's the rule that applies to every corps now, I believe. Which is not a good fundamental approach for DCA, in my personal opinion.

At this point, a public witch hunt or DCP thread review of any 2012 DCA rule violations will do nothing but hurt people. There are issues to solve going forward for DCA and the Renegades, for sure. Not on DCP.

My friends -- please don't get caught up in spreading or believing rumors of outlandish renegade episodes of destruction and rock star orgies ... it didn't happen. Were there some bad decisions made, like any other corps every year of DCA? Yes, by a few. Was this followed by a bad decision by DCA = Yes. So, we lost. By we, I mean drum corps. Us.

My friends, that's it. I stand behind every word I put on here, and I hopefully did not enrage too many people by speaking out. But, I thought it was important to explain this with so much bad information and personal attacks out there.

So ... We're moving forward and the Renegades going to Europe.

Don't expect some vanilla wimpy cadet corps to come out of this. There are issues to address, but the Renegades are the Renegades, and they're always going to be the Renegades.

Thank you for listening

The end.

Rant: over

Lee

Edited by drumlaw80
  • Like 1

yeah that's it...DCA just wanted to chase a member corps away.

I agree with you, Jeff.

I am not a spokesman for DCA... heck, I'm not even close to being a spokesmen for DCA... and I honest to God have no knowledge of the "fine print" details of this case. Nor, quite frankly, do I need to know those details.

But I am 100 percent certain that the folks involved with DCA... the management and the member corps... are in no way, shape or form engaged in some sort of effort to get one corps dismissed from the circuit, simply for the sake of ridding themselves of that given corps.

This whole episode is troubling. On several levels.

First of all, that ANYTHING happened to cause an Annapolis business to "cry foul" over some of their guests, out of what, 4 corps groups there? To run the risk of harming a relationship of their community with a new, major convention player, says to me, something got rather ugly that weekend. I have no idea what that was, but someone's bravado obviously got the best of them. Both on the scene, and later in discussion with DCA officials.

I am reminded of that old saw. " You can't fight City Hall." That was true, and is still true. Understand it, and move on.

Speaking of moving on, Lee. Twenty posts ago, that's what you said you'd do. But you didn't, till now, supposedly. I get the "renegade" attitude, the image, etc., but promoting your group as victim here, in this public place, does not help the cause. Essentially, you are here to point out how WRONG your sanctioning body is. Doesn't make your group welcome, at least not with current management. One can only burn a bridge one time. No?

Lee, I understand you like drama, controversy, being the story, etc. Well, you are succeeding. But at what price?

The Renegades might well have been mistreated with DCA's decision. That would suck. But, to me, it would be better to have endured such injustice in private now, and for the coming year. I mean, what's the point of continuing this publicly? An anti-DCA letter-writing campaign? A smaller crowd at DCA next year? P*ssing off Gil, and others? To me, a better course would be to lick your wound in private, perhaps drop out. Whatever happened was not acceptable to those in position to determine such. Those whose organization you choose to join.

What's to gain through this campaign, Lee? I sure don't get it.

• Like 8

This is pure speculation on my behalf but it sounds like somebody ratted on them. It doesn't matter what happened, you don't rat.

• Like 1