Renegades to Europe in 2013

No parking lot blows anymore. Annapolis stopped serving beer at 8pm. Its clear that DCA is taking the position that DCA is for the kids and not for the adult party crowd anymore.

Or perhaps it's the rules and regulations of a particular venue/host city... a citywide noise ordinance preventing parking lot concerts, beer sales controlled by stadium officials, not DCA... that dictates decisions such as these.

But hey... why let the facts get in the way of a good rant?

• Like 6

Everyone does need to remember that the actions of individual people are just that, individual actions done by individual people. How many times have organizations been misrepresented by their members, not just in drum corps? While I still hold that whatever happened had to be pretty serious for this to happen, I still think that this punishment really hurts those members of the Renegades who were not involved in this incident the most. If I were a member of the Renegades who was not a part of this I would be upset at those members who were, but I'd be even more upset at DCA for punishing everyone for the actions of a few. Thankfully in drum corps everyone is a free agent. Hopefully those members, if they do not choose to go to Europe, will find homes in drum corps that will welcome them for being good individual members and not cast a blanket of blame on them based on their previous corps affiliation.

Or perhaps it's the rules and regulations of a particular venue/host city... a citywide noise ordinance preventing parking lot concerts, beer sales controlled by stadium officials, not DCA... that dictates decisions such as these.

Never let facts get in the way of a good story - Richie "Whitey" Ashburn

Thought we had noise ordinance concerns at Rochester and/or Scranton too or at least time limits.

As for Annapolis being over anal on everything, let's not forget they waived the "no loud noise after o dark thirty" on Saturday night when Prelims ran late due to the storms.

I'd complain about the crappy beer but..... them Navy guys an gals pay my salary. :ph34r:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

How do you get banned from DCA...?????

Donny Allen

Phoenix 1975=76

OK, it's not just me wondering as I'm remembering some horror stories from the 70s....

This whole episode is troubling. On several levels.

First of all, that ANYTHING happened to cause an Annapolis business to "cry foul" over some of their guests, out of what, 4 corps groups there? To run the risk of harming a relationship of their community with a new, major convention player, says to me, something got rather ugly that weekend. I have no idea what that was, but someone's bravado obviously got the best of them. Both on the scene, and later in discussion with DCA officials.

I am reminded of that old saw. " You can't fight City Hall." That was true, and is still true. Understand it, and move on.

Speaking of moving on, Lee. Twenty posts ago, that's what you said you'd do. But you didn't, till now, supposedly. I get the "renegade" attitude, the image, etc., but promoting your group as victim here, in this public place, does not help the cause. Essentially, you are here to point out how WRONG your sanctioning body is. Doesn't make your group welcome, at least not with current management. One can only burn a bridge one time. No?

Lee, I understand you like drama, controversy, being the story, etc. Well, you are succeeding. But at what price?

The Renegades might well have been mistreated with DCA's decision. That would suck. But, to me, it would be better to have endured such injustice in private now, and for the coming year. I mean, what's the point of continuing this publicly? An anti-DCA letter-writing campaign? A smaller crowd at DCA next year? P*ssing off Gil, and others? To me, a better course would be to lick your wound in private, perhaps drop out. Whatever happened was not acceptable to those in position to determine such. Those whose organization you choose to join.

What's to gain through this campaign, Lee? I sure don't get it.

Well said Fred.

• Like 1

Most stadiums management these days actually set alcohol cut off times to protect their liability in the case of a drunk driver leaving their stadium (Dram Shop Act). It is also why most do not allow you to buy more than 2 per person at any given time. At the end of half time is the cutoff at Met-Life stadium for football games. Concerts are done on a different time schedule obviously, but estimate an hour and a half to 2 before the end. In most cases I would think the stadium's liability insurance probably is the one setting the cutoff times, and the manageent follows their guidelines.

Can't really see where stadium management for Annapolis acted any differently than what is going on around the country.

So there goes that conspiracy.....