Renegades to Europe in 2013

DCA and DCA corps have taking the position that they need to do whatever they can to perpetuate the life of DCA. Lowering the age limit has kept quite a few corps on the field. Which is more important, monitoring underage drinking or keeping the activity going?

Maybe I misunderstand your last sentence Kay, but if known underage drinking is going on within a corps and nothing is done. It could be bye, bye corps as the adult BoD could be held responsible. Not talking about bus checks or bed checks but ignoring something known? Well the poster child (no pun intended) for ignoring problems is PSU.....

Quote I still remember from 1974 and I rode with 2 BoD members to practice.. "What happens if Johnny gets <drunk> or little Billy and Susie are <having sex> while with the corps and the parents come after us? They'll probably get paid off with a couple of flags and a broken drum stick." (as court costs would bankrupt)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Maybe I misunderstand your last sentence Kay, but if known underage drinking is going on within a corps and nothing is done. It could be bye, bye corps as the adult BoD could be held responsible. Not talking about bus checks or bed checks but ignoring something known? Well the poster child (no pun intended) for ignoring problems is PSU.....

Quote I still remember from 1974 and I rode with 2 BoD members to practice.. "What happens if Johnny gets <drunk> or little Billy and Susie are <having sex> while with the corps and the parents come after us? They'll probably get paid off with a couple of flags and a broken drum stick." (as court costs would bankrupt)

Sorry I didn't articulate my point clearly.

The dynamic of DCA's corps has changed. It has/had to. First off, without allowing younger members the existence of some corps would be no longer. If that comes with the price of having to eliminate drinking during practices or at events, so be it. Drum corps is far more important (obligatory IMO) then having a few drinks. We adults can make provisions to have our cocktails at another time etc...... It does not equate to "catering" to the younger members over the elder statesmen, it equates to keeping drum corps alive.

What may have happened in the past, be it turning a blind eye to illegal acts (whatever they may be) is over, that does not just pertain to the DC activity, but everything in society, and as painful as it may be to some, its for the better.

• Like 2

Sorry I didn't articulate my point clearly.

The dynamic of DCA's corps has changed. It has/had to. First off, without allowing younger members the existence of some corps would be no longer. If that comes with the price of having to eliminate drinking during practices or at events, so be it. Drum corps is far more important (obligatory IMO) then having a few drinks. We adults can make provisions to have our cocktails at another time etc...... It does not equate to "catering" to the younger members over the elder statesmen, it equates to keeping drum corps alive.

What may have happened in the past, be it turning a blind eye to illegal acts (whatever they may be) is over, that does not just pertain to the DC activity, but everything in society, and as painful as it may be to some, its for the better.

OK, we're on the same page then. The way I (mis)read your post surprised me but now I understand.

I know the age demogarphics varies between corps but just surprised that "DCA is going Youth" is presented as a recent thing. When I was with Westshoremen (aged 16-22), we and the Sunrisers had a good bit of youth in our DCA corps. In the Red Carpet Assoc. must of the Sr corps had a ton of youth to be able to get on the field. As far as drinking ta practice or before shows that was banned my first few years. Nothing to do with the youth, just the corps got more serious about being competitive. Later one section had a 2 drink max before shows but that was a hold over from their previous corps and under 21 had NO drinks at all.

LOL - know of an Alumni type corps that took two buses to a long distance gig. Family members along with some underage members were going so staff had two rules.

1) no booze on bus 1

2) any DVDs to be played on the buses must be "family friendly"

No problems that I heard of......

Can't really see where stadium management for Annapolis acted any differently than what is going on around the country.

So there goes that conspiracy.....

Exactly.

Noise ordinance: City of Annapolis (or whichever city) sets the rules, not DCA.

Alcohol sales: Stadium officials set the rules, not DCA.

• Like 1

Oh my...I might have had something to do with that with my garden hose routine. Maybe that pushed things over the edge.

Ever since then, I've received postcards from DCA informing me their World Championships were being held in different cities than they actually were going to be in. To think I almost went to Cleveland this year.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Quick question: Has anyone accused the Renegades of these things or is this an off shoot of Eds posts that DCA has changed policing it's corps due to younger members? Personally I'm responding to the second part but might have missed something. Actually I haven't seen any guesses to what happened besides the '7' shaped pile o' crap which must have happened at Prelims as I didn't see it at Finals.

I was at prelims and the closest I saw were the ones several people must have made on themselves directly caused by Roland's stratospheric notes! :worthy:

• Like 1

My response had nothing to do with the Renegades but was in response to Ed's claim of 'we all know it happens and that seemingly makes it okay'. And I chose to point out it isn't okay.

Got'cha and I agree, it isn't.

It is just so easy for people to read these threads and come to conclusions based on other people's inteerprutations of "facts" that don't exist, that's all.

Dan

It is just so easy for people to read these threads and come to conclusions based on other people's inteerprutations of "facts" that don't exist, that's all.

Dan

Amen Brutha!

Dan

Or read thru bunch of off shoot topics and get things confused and wrong.....

Good once in a while to clear things up...........