Dear DCA Board

I seem to recall a rather stern email from a long-time, high-level Renegade who said much the same to me after I said something (which I don't recall) on this board in 03 or 04 when I was Dream's DM....funny how that seems to be forgotten when it's someone at 'Gades who might be the issue.

I didn't get an email.... myself and another guard member got a strongly worded talking too when we were members of the corps and were vocal on DCP (or would that be typograpical?)about how we didn't agree with some things the Renegades were doing, yet we were still in the corps. Basically told if we wanted to stay in the corps, to shut up on DCP.

I didn't get an email.... myself and another guard member got a strongly worded talking too when we were members of the corps and were vocal on DCP (or would that be typograpical?)about how we didn't agree with some things the Renegades were doing, yet we were still in the corps. Basically told if we wanted to stay in the corps, to shut up on DCP.

When I would get those talks I would tell my corps " when your right your right"

Some things just need fighting for. Others not so much.

gotta be honest, and it's been 16 years now since I marched, and 11 since I taught, but in my DCA experiences, we did exactly as you say....we soaked up what we were taught. Even vets who had been around for 10 years or more got with the program or got off the bus. People with ringsin DCI and DCA were in the corps I was with, and no ego no "I don't need to be told that".....we got instructions, we did our damnedest to make it happen. And seeing the quality of DCA corps today, the same thing still happens

Great points.

It seems the better the corps, the fewer the egos involved.

It was a bit of a different atmosphere in the days when I marched in a DCA corps... but the same rule applied for our corps: When you joined, you checked your ego at the door, or you didn't last very long.

Even if you were a "star soloist" or some such thing with another corps... that didn't mean a thing to us. Even our great brass soloists from the years I marched (John Arietano, Tom McCarthy, George Smith, Chris Codd, Pete China, Michelle Calogianes, Dave DeAndrea, etc.) all considered themselves "line players" first... not stars.

Heck, we had guys playing third or fourth soprano who easily could have been leads or split leads... but they were fine with "doing their job" and being a solid third or fourth soprano.

I think that overall attitude helped us win some championships.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Or maybe DCA was under too much pressure to accept anything less than this one-year suspension.

I have wondered about this. I don't know the hotel the Renegades stayed at, but it is possible this was one of a chain of hotels DCA used, and if so, could that chain have pretty much told DCA "kick out this group if you want ANY of our hotels next year"?

I don't pretend to have ANY knowledge of the incident... just womdering if maybe this played into the final results?

They were in a Marriott of some type from what I have read.

A kazillion pages later, on October 9th, Greg Gilman (don't recall if he is still DM, board moember or what his current affiliation is) posted that the Renegades were suspended, and were going to go to Europe instead. I won't say that it was a "take our toys (if Telekey is still writing for the pit, toys is an appropriate term)and go home," since it sounded like they were viewing it as turning a bad situation into a great opportunity, but I find it rather interesting that 3 days later, Lee comes out declaring himself as an official spokesperson for the corps begging/requesting/demanding DCA to reconsider....so is Europe no longer the blessing in disguise once thought? Or has it already been determined that this isn't an option, so the only choice the Renegades have is DCA?

and yes, i can see Jeff's point about maybe some people would only join for the Europe trip, but personally, if I were going to Europe (and I've already been approached about joining for the Europe trip), I would NOT go with Renegades or any other drum corps... I'd want to spend my time seeing Europe, not practicing and performing. But that's just my opinion.

As for the practicality, I only skimmed Tom's post about DCUK, but it sounds like it may not even be feasible.

And I do also wonder, if the Ranagades have all these peoploe coming out of the wood work to give money and think they can get the corps to Europe without raising fees (airfare is paid by each member, and airfare from CA to Europe is far more than airfare from CA to NY) where were all those people and fundraising efforts when the corps was having such financial difficulties before? Perhaps they are finally going to try that turkey sale???

• Like 3

They were in a Marriott of some type from what I have read.

and MAYBE i'm completely wrong, MAYBE each corps handles their own hotel reservations separate from DCA? Not sure, but I thought DCA had some kind of partnership in that or something.....if not, then i guess it would be a moot point.