Dear DCA Board

My head is spinning trying to soak in all of this; and, of course, it doesn't help that I don't know what really went on...and for that mater, perhaps don't deserve to know.

It does give me pause, however, to wonder if at times the biggest difference between junior corps and some senior corps is that junior corps have more members who are "adults."

Edit: What I really wanted to say...and should have said is, rather, something to the extent that wouldn't paint all members of any corps with the same wide brush. But camel lips has already replied to the original, and so I can't change it now and pretend like it never happened.

Edit redux: Oh, wait...did I just say something in those last five words that is unintentionally ironic?

well on the DCi side, you can easily have staff members acting like kids...

well on the DCi side, you can easily have staff members acting like kids...

If they act like the maturity level of the kids of whom they're in charge, there will be no problems.

I'll be honest... the members in most junior corps I would say act more mature and professional than their staff members most the time.

Being a member of a junior corps you don't have the time or energy to be immature and unprofessional.

It honestly is two different worlds... that we all try to draw comparisons and such. But there aren't many, except for the marching and music thing. Junior corps you do what your told, and you are there to be a sponge.

Senior corps... haven't marched yet... but it has got to be weird.

I'm sure there are beginners, young kids, or adults who have never marched before... then you got the people coming out of junior corps. Varying levels of seriousness and commitment .. I guess kinda like a college marching band? But not to the extremes that can get too. This is just me assuming, from what I see from a distance.

I've heard of many people wanting to do it to try and relive their junior corps days... then they find out that is impossible.. you can get the thrill of performance again, but nothing is the same as 2 1/2 months working 14 hours a day sleeping on gym floors and buses. Nothing can bring that back. Real life gets in the way with senior corps. It's just how it is.

I'm not sure if it's going to be for me. I want to march again. I miss that thrill of marching a show in front of a crowd eager to watch you. But will I be disappointed? Will the drama diminish my experience? Is it something I can just ignore if I march the right corps (I'd think so... but I still here about stupid petty ####). I don't know. What I want out of it I'm not sure. I just want to march and perform a show again. And that's it.

At least DCA banning Renegades shows they do accept a certain behavior from one of their member corps.

But hold on a second... what exactly did they do again??? I guess we will never know what DCA is actually enforcing? Just wish it was handled better.

(Had to get back on topic somehow..._

• Like 1

I'm sure there are beginners, young kids, or adults who have never marched before... then you got the people coming out of junior corps. Varying levels of seriousness and commitment .. I guess kinda like a college marching band? But not to the extremes that can get too. This is just me assuming, from what I see from a distance.

LOL, marched Sr (yeah long ago) when I was aged 16-22 but never did Jr corps. <snipping long story> range of ages roughly teenage to 40s and real mix of personalities and life experiences (students to a guy laid off and living at the YMCA). All I can say is dealing with the mixes at my young age helped me deal with people of different types today.

And yes younger folks (and a few older) had a range of maturity levels and the more immature got yelled at enough they learned (if they wanted to march) or left (there for party time from the folks - guess again). Hard to compare to my one year of college MB because the MB was all college students.

Hardest part for the students starting in corps was that they were with some people close to their parents age and they (students) got NO slack because they were younger. Then again it helped the self esteem of some to get yelled at for screwing up and then seeing a vet of the corps get the same treatment 5 minutes later. My "a-ha" moment was when a 50ish DI was brought in and caught a bad drill screw up. He asked a "youngster" what was going on and she gave some BS excuse..... After chewing her out for wasting his time guess who got asked next.... "WHAT HAPPENED!".... I figured I better give him the truth so I looked him in the eye and said "Beats the #### out of me". (I was about 18 and looked younger.) He glowered at me, blinked twice and then said "me neither, I'll wathc this area next time". I said OK and that was that... :ph34r:

I did have an indication of what I was getting into while with my first corps that never got off the ground. Conversation from 1973 was: "VA call back yet".. "NO".... "I thought you'd get prefered treatment because of your status".. "Yeah, supposedly getting your ### shot twice would help but guess not". :shutup:

Since you already marched DCI you're coming from a different direction but thougth I'd chime in..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'll be honest... the members in most junior corps I would say act more mature and professional than their staff members most the time.

Being a member of a junior corps you don't have the time or energy to be immature and unprofessional.

It honestly is two different worlds... that we all try to draw comparisons and such. But there aren't many, except for the marching and music thing. Junior corps you do what your told, and you are there to be a sponge.

I've heard of many people wanting to do it to try and relive their junior corps days... then they find out that is impossible.. you can get the thrill of performance again, but nothing is the same as 2 1/2 months working 14 hours a day sleeping on gym floors and buses. Nothing can bring that back. Real life gets in the way with senior corps. It's just how it is.

I'm not sure if it's going to be for me. I want to march again. I miss that thrill of marching a show in front of a crowd eager to watch you. But will I be disappointed? Will the drama diminish my experience? Is it something I can just ignore if I march the right corps (I'd think so... but I still here about stupid petty ####). I don't know. What I want out of it I'm not sure. I just want to march and perform a show again. And that's it.

At least DCA banning Renegades shows they do accept a certain behavior from one of their member corps.

But hold on a second... what exactly did they do again??? I guess we will never know what DCA is actually enforcing? Just wish it was handled better.

Pros and cons can be found in either Jr or Sr corps. My Jr experience truly ran hot and cold. loved the people, loved performing, even loved the travel. but the touring, 16 hour drives and gym floors got old midway through 1st tour.

ALL AGED corps shares many parallels. but allows the freedom of.Monday through Friday. Closer ties with members and bonding when not performing. relationships much easier on. a member when your not gone for a year. obviously easier on the wallet. Work ethic comes to task when trying to achieve high quality drum corps on weekends only. Drama will exist everywhere a group of individuals come together. The good news is when you find the right All ages corps some drama is tolerable as you will find a more family like atmosphere. The mixture of adults and and young adults balances itself out. When you find a corps with a large membership of adults you find a multitude of experience and many take on a parental figure status which helps when trying to keep the youth in check.

Read into the Renegades thing which ever way you like. But there are corps in the DCA who have amazing reputations and their success speaks for themselves.

Here is what needs to happen

Renegades do owe all a formal apology . you are responsable for your membership

Did DCA warn Renegades of this before ?

if so they need to take action , If not they need to offer a stiff warning with sanctions.

We need all the corps and participants we can get in this activity. The activity is for all whom want to better themselves through the music and marching arts.

if this has been violated then DCA needs to take action.

Is banning a corps for a whole season the answer ??

Should this be public knowledge or an internal matter between The Renagades and DCA ?/

too late for that now. Whom leaked the story first DCA or the Renegades ?

If DCA The Renegades should be due some leniency for the mis handling of this .

If Reit was the Renegades they should be forced to change ADMINS to be allowed back into DCA.

this is not for open forums.

it is hard enough for DCA to get sponsors and housing for all corps involved. these actions take away from the activity as a whole.

There must be a better way to rectify this.

Right on.

Mike

• Like 2

If they act like the maturity level of the kids of whom they're in charge, there will be no problems.

there's the problem

• Like 1

gotta be honest, and it's been 16 years now since I marched, and 11 since I taught, but in my DCA experiences, we did exactly as you say....we soaked up what we were taught. Even vets who had been around for 10 years or more got with the program or got off the bus. People with ringsin DCI and DCA were in the corps I was with, and no ego no "I don't need to be told that".....we got instructions, we did our damnedest to make it happen. And seeing the quality of DCA corps today, the same thing still happens