-I can still sing Nutville from start to finish - one of the catchiest songs the Bluecoats ever played.

Bluecoats: hung out a lot with these guys...great group of folks and a show that to me seems really undervalued. That hornline could blow man! A really cool drum feature too.

Coincidentally, here is a rehearsal video edited with just Nutville and the drum feature.

• Like 1

1991 - the first year I'd gone to finals. Had been detached from the activity for a couple of years and saw an ad in The Shreveport Times sports section the day of finals. Crappy seat in the Cottom Bowl (maybe the 10-yard line). Star just blew me away. Wanted to get a souvie, but after finals they were sold out of everything (except small sizes).

But 1991 Cadets blew me away. I think it's one of the most underrated shows in their post-1983 history.

uggghhh...

You didn't see it live, did you? I love Cadets (I love 'em all) but I would not call their show that year "underrated," but "underpowered."

Not a criticism, just an observation.

• Like 2

You didn't see it live, did you? I love Cadets (I love 'em all) but I would not call their show that year "underrated," but "underpowered."

Did see it live 1/2 dozen times. The complete show was really a stylistic mishmash, but 'Short Ride In a Fast Machine' was possibly the most original thing I had seen on the field at that time - musically and visually. For me, it still holds up. 1991 was a great year for DCI which I've watched many times when I miss George Zingali'sinflunce (Star), and I always find my way to Cadet's opener also. I wish that Cadets would have built on the electric energy of that number in future years.

I saw it only once live - Finals... in Dallas. Ugh!

Anyway, I didn't find it underpowered, but that's just me. I think part of it was the selections of music. I already had strong emotional connections to Short Ride and Prelude, Fugue and Riffs. The Cadets version of Short Ride was nothing short of incredible - such a great capture of its pure ecstatic movement! And the percussion in PF&R blew me away, along with everything else. I just wanted the backbeat section to go on about 10 seconds longer. Gives me chills again just hearing it in my head! :thumbup:

My favorite BD show for sure!

In addition to a great musical book that year, BD had a really good guard and visual program. Having been at finals, I remember being disappointed by the camera locations and editing in the broadcast. I don't think they showed many of BD's best visual moments. Cavies also had what I think was one of the best saber lines ever that year but they were hardly shown in the broadcast.