What does "All Age" look like in the future?

Here's my problem. Going electronic moves evaluation further away from judging human achievement. The process becomes more a matter of who has the better toys. Not so much who was good, but what was good. Like in robotics, at some point technology betters human performance. The "we" matters less.

Yep, spent so many years in the "lesser" corps circuits that I actually learned to enjoy unbalanced (too many drums, not enough sops, etc) corps. Everytime I saw one coming on the field that was really off my first thought was "Cool, how are they going to work around this". Hate to think the "how" answer is by tweaking controls on a sound mixer.

Go to my first DCA Prelims in 10 years and Shenandoah Sound came out with something like 7 horns... Oh man... I was in heaven... "How the Hell???? .. Oh this is gonna be interesting" :smile:

Guys - we've debated this A&E thing once or twice before. We all know where we stand.

The question is - should DCA adopt it?

My vote - a big NO. Keep one area of drum corps accoustic. There's a ton of A&E out there in DCI, WGI and the band world. Leave us one little crumb, OK?

Sign me off as "no! No! And no!" (Not that it matters,lol!)

• Like 2

First of all I don't think DCA should have electronics...However....I am not against it either. I think it will happen though. My reason is this....first of all when the issue came up to go to Bb, DCA resisted until there was no choice. If DCA corps are going to sell themselves to a younger market to continue the activity then electronics will have to come into the picture. How many over 50's are there still marching? The average age in a DCA corps is getting younger, staff members are younger and are more "hip" to what is happening in DCI and marching bands. If you want to sell your corps you have to get with the times. I am not saying I am for it BUT it makes sense for the future. If the older "fans" say "NO" then that's okay. Many older DC people have voiced their opinion yet they probably still see a DCI show if one is nearby. Come on, this is in our blood no matter if the game has changed. You can complain that it's not this or that but it is still young people playing an instrument, marching, giving their time, their sweat and their tears for the same thing we all did in the past.

I wish DCA and all the member corps and future member corps the most success. I think we should support the decisions made by DCA no matter what they happen to be. You can spend your free time "analyzing" the cost of electronics and voicing your opinion. I think DCA corps will do what they want. Kind of like a pro sport team....listen to a sport talk radio station and hear all the negativity about a team in your area. The owners and General Managers don't listen and don't care what the fan says. A military leader doesn't care about your opinion on a war or not, they do what they feel is best for their goal/mission.

Darn, where did that opinion come from? LOL

Well if DCA/DCI went by my wants, they would be screwed but I'll give my .02 .... :rolleyes:

Many older DC people have voiced their opinion yet they probably still see a DCI show if one is nearby. Come on, this is in our blood no matter if the game has changed. You can complain that it's not this or that but it is still young people playing an instrument, marching, giving their time, their sweat and their tears for the same thing we all did in the past.

Some of us.... OK me anyway... go to be entered. I like horns/perc sound only and anything else gets in the way. So I don't go to DCI shows but glad others support it.

The owners and General Managers don't listen and don't care what the fan says. ..., they do what they feel is best for their goal/mission.

Except part if GMs goal is to get people to buy their product so they can continue operations. Part of the reason why the import auto business went way up in the 70s/80s is because they did listen and built what a lot of people wanted.

• Like 1

The funny thing....people still buy tickets! Look at the Buffalo Bills...they stink and have been stinking for years but people still buy the tickets, the souvenirs, jerseys, etc

Well if DCA/DCI went by my wants, they would be screwed but I'll give my .02 .... :rolleyes:

Some of us.... OK me anyway... go to be entered. I like horns/perc sound only and anything else gets in the way. So I don't go to DCI shows but glad others support it.

Except part if GMs goal is to get people to buy their product so they can continue operations. Part of the reason why the import auto business went way up in the 70s/80s is because they did listen and built what a lot of people wanted.

The funny thing....people still buy tickets! Look at the Buffalo Bills...they stink and have been stinking for years but people still buy the tickets, the souvenirs, jerseys, etc

Ya had to pick on the Bills.... LOL been a fan since before they got good.... then bad again... :rolleyes: Actaully a Jim Haslett fan since went to college with him, but he's with the Skins.. 'meh....

Seriously, it's bad football but it's still the type of football people like to watch. And some of us (raising hand) like to watch not so good corps as long as it's the type of DC we like. If the NFL changing the rules too much (start flag football to cut down on injuries - mebbe) who knows what might happen.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I was a fan before they had O.J.....remember him?

Ya had to pick on the Bills.... LOL been a fan since before they got good.... then bad again... :rolleyes: Actaully a Jim Haslett fan since went to college with him, but he's with the Skins.. 'meh....

Seriously, it's bad football but it's still the type of football people like to watch. And some of us (raising hand) like to watch not so good corps as long as it's the type of DC we like. If the NFL changing the rules too much (start flag football to cut down on injuries - mebbe) who knows what might happen.

I was a fan before they had O.J.....remember him?

OJ Nordburg??? Guy running thru the airports looking for the rental car agency.... forget if Hertz/Avis..

What's the football legend if Tom Dempsey had missed the 60+ yard field goal The Saints would have had first pick when OJ was drafted.... oh man.....

Edit: Few years back we upgraded to Fiber Optic because the local phone lines were so bad. Checking out the freebie movies that came with the package and started watching "Naked Gun". About 5 seconds after I said "wonder why this is hardly on TV anymore", guess who's face shows up.... :shutup: ... then it was "Oh yeah, that's why". :sad:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

First of all I don't think DCA should have electronics...However....I am not against it either. I think it will happen though. My reason is this....first of all when the issue came up to go to Bb, DCA resisted until there was no choice. If DCA corps are going to sell themselves to a younger market to continue the activity then electronics will have to come into the picture. How many over 50's are there still marching? The average age in a DCA corps is getting younger, staff members are younger and are more "hip" to what is happening in DCI and marching bands. If you want to sell your corps you have to get with the times. I am not saying I am for it BUT it makes sense for the future. If the older "fans" say "NO" then that's okay. Many older DC people have voiced their opinion yet they probably still see a DCI show if one is nearby. Come on, this is in our blood no matter if the game has changed. You can complain that it's not this or that but it is still young people playing an instrument, marching, giving their time, their sweat and their tears for the same thing we all did in the past.

I wish DCA and all the member corps and future member corps the most success. I think we should support the decisions made by DCA no matter what they happen to be. You can spend your free time "analyzing" the cost of electronics and voicing your opinion. I think DCA corps will do what they want. Kind of like a pro sport team....listen to a sport talk radio station and hear all the negativity about a team in your area. The owners and General Managers don't listen and don't care what the fan says. A military leader doesn't care about your opinion on a war or not, they do what they feel is best for their goal/mission.

Darn, where did that opinion come from? LOL

well, let's be honest......yes, DCA does need to think young, but I have said this on the DCI side.....you have to have balance. Right now, DCI IS bleeding off older fans, the fans that went to multiple shows, finals, etc. It's hurt their wallet. DCA can't afford to push away older fans solely at the expense of the younger crowd, because there isn't enough younger crowd to keep DCA alive without the older fans

• Like 3