What happens next?

So...

Clearly the Music in Motion series emerging from the TOC series is pretty controversial. Setting the immediate controversy aside,

What impact will the MiM actually have on:

- the MiM corps?

- other world class corps?

- DCI itself?

Does the MiM series inevitably lead to the a split with DCI? When will the split occur? What are the positive and negative impacts such a split would have?

• Like 2

My initial reaction to the MiM is not very positive.

I honestly don't see how seven corps can possibly sustain a tour on their own. And if they split from DCI, does that mean week-end only shows and clinics during the week?

OTOH maybe there's no plan for a split. If the MiM corps continue to participate in the DCI tour, perhaps the world does not come crashing down on drum corps universe. The TOC series proved to be a pretty successful idea. I really don't see those show affecting non-TOC corps very much and I don't expect the impact to any different even if the MiM corps run those events on their own. There's not a much room in the schedule for *more* MiM shows -- in fact I think they may find that the expanded schedule may already be a bit overextended

Very interested to hear others thoughts about how this may all play out.

• Like 2

well... the original proposal wanted to reserve Friday and Sunday for G7 shows.

slide 24

WEEKENDS ARE A MIX OF THE SUPERSHOWCASE SATURDAY EVENTS and FRIDAY and SUNDAY TOUR OF CHAMPION SPECIAL EVENTS

The Tour of Champions would present 12-14 events per year that are on Fridays and Sundays in the vicinity of the Saturday Super Showcase!

Let's see how that is going:

7 JUL, Sunday - Music in Motion (PA, but show is Raiders, Bluecoats, Boston, Phantom, Cadets, other show in IL)

14 JUL, Sunday - Music in Motion only (IL, open class show in CA)

21 JUL, Sunday - Music in Motion only (TX, I&E same day in TX)

26 JUL, Friday - Murfressboro show only (no other shows)

27 JUL, Saturday - NightBeat (SC, rest of World Class in AL)

4 AUG, Sunday - Music in Motion (NJ, 7 other World Class corps in Pittsburgh)

5 AUG, Monday - Drums Along the Waterfront (NY, 8 World Class in OH)

so... from this list, we can see that the G7 is trying to monopolize the weekends, as they are the prime entertainment nights of the week.

lastly, it seems that skipping I&E counts is seen as "being more fan friendly"... that was the G7 goal, right?

It cannot be acceptable for DCI to allow these G7 corps to schedule their own events that use the entire DCI summer tour to give them credibility, and share nothing with any other corps, while at the same time taking over the most lucrative show dates for themselves.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 8

7 JUL, Sunday - Music in Motion (PA, but show is Raiders, Bluecoats, Boston, Phantom, Cadets, other show in IL)

so... from this list, we can see that the G7 is trying to monopolize the weekends, as they are the prime entertainment nights of the week.

lastly, it seems that skipping I&E counts is seen as "being more fan friendly"... that was the G7 goal, right?

It cannot be acceptable for DCI to allow these G7 corps to schedule their own events that use the entire DCI summer tour to give them credibility, and share nothing with any other corps, while at the same time taking over the most lucrative show dates for themselves.

Some comments:

7 Jul - since three of the G7 are in Denver on the 6th, it's not surprising that they won't be in PA the next day. Fortunately, I'll be at the Denver show. (hope there's no rain this time)

I wonder what the G7 members think about not being able to perform I&E? Kind of sucks for them, I guess.

If DCI sees a drop in revenue at the conflicting DCI shows, they need to drop the hammer on the G7.

• Like 2

There are 29 shows scheduled for Fridays and Sundays. There are 7 MiM shows ( the 7/7 show is *not* part of the series).

Not sure how 7 out of 29 can be considered a monopoly in any way, shape or form.

As an aside --- there are plenty of threads to rant about the MiM shows. The intent of this thread is to speculate what may actually happen instead of just complaining that it's happening.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

Some comments:

7 Jul - since three of the G7 are in Denver on the 6th, it's not surprising that they won't be in PA the next day. Fortunately, I'll be at the Denver show. (hope there's no rain this time)

I wonder what the G7 members think about not being able to perform I&E? Kind of sucks for them, I guess.

If DCI sees a drop in revenue at the conflicting DCI shows, they need to drop the hammer on the G7.

I know Crown and Cadets don't do I&E -- I think that BD, Cavies, and SCV generally do I&E. Not sure about Coats or PR.

• Like 2

my hunch is 2013 is a way to test the water. if they are running the MiM shows themselves, and don't see a ton of profit from them...they may dump the idea and go back to the TOC option as it was in 2011 and 2012.

I mean with MiM, they get all the money yes...but they pay all the bills. Somehow, I think a 7 headed monster will lead to conflict, power sharing issues and other assorted drama behind the scenes.

• Like 1

my hunch is 2013 is a way to test the water. if they are running the MiM shows themselves, and don't see a ton of profit from them...they may dump the idea and go back to the TOC option as it was in 2011 and 2012.

I mean with MiM, they get all the money yes...but they pay all the bills. Somehow, I think a 7 headed monster will lead to conflict, power sharing issues and other assorted drama behind the scenes.

A few egotistical maniacs in the same room would result in drama??!? Say it ain't so!

Here is my thought on it.

If the Music in Motion corps break off on their own, several things will happen.

1. If they try to sustain a tour with only 7 corps they will fail.

2. I believe it might actually make it possible to have DCI grow and prosper and help smaller corps to grow and develop.

My reasons.

For number 1-Do some research on a little marching organization called MACBDA. It's an organization that was formed in the 1970's by midwest band directors. I realize that it is band, but check it out. In the 1990's the organization was down to a dozen or so groups. This past year they had 5 groups, with a few others performing once in a while. Over the past 4 years, they have gone from 7 to 5 competing groups (as part of their regular tour before). The number of contests have been cut in half, and the 5 groups that still compete are a shell of what they used to be in performance and size.

For number 2-It's simple-More opportunity for other groups. I have no problem going to a show if the "headliner" corps were someone that place 8-12 this last year at finals, or even lower than that. Why? Simple, a 12th place corps in 2012 is, IMHO better than many corps that were top 6 even 10-15 years ago. So let Madison be your draw, or Spirit, or Glassmen, it'll be fine.

Have organizations like the NBA, NFL, or MLB survived by trying to stay small, no. There have been expansions over the past 50 years, and they are looking for more.

Let them go if they want. See how many tickets they can sell and how many shows they can do, and how many kids try out when they have a tour of 10-15 shows that cost $50-100 to attend.

I won't be there.

I'll be watching the shows where there are more groups, and more shows, and more corps.

Not to be a jerk, but in the 1930's there was a political party that only wanted "their kind" at the party, and well...

• Like 5