What happens next?

Agree DCI doesn't seem to be marketing these shows -- more like acknowledging their existence.

My impression as well is that these shows are being run top-to-bottom by MiM and are just 'sanctioned' by DCI.

Based on soccerguy's list from earlier -

7 JUL, Sunday - Music in Motion (PA, but show is Raiders, Bluecoats, Boston, Phantom, Cadets, other show in IL)

14 JUL, Sunday - Music in Motion only (IL, open class show in CA)

21 JUL, Sunday - Music in Motion only (TX, I&E same day in TX)

26 JUL, Friday - Murfressboro show only (no other shows)

27 JUL, Saturday - NightBeat (SC, rest of World Class in AL)

4 AUG, Sunday - Music in Motion (NJ, 7 other World Class corps in Pittsburgh)

5 AUG, Monday - Drums Along the Waterfront (NY, 8 World Class in OH)

None of these are listed on DCI's Mega Monday ticket sale as advertised in their weekly e-mail. All of the others that they do list are DCI-run events, which of course would lead us to conclude that these aren't being run by DCI.

Mike

People really seem to be missing the fact that the whole MM thing is simply a fiscal experiment on the part of a handful of kid's marching bands. It is not a new circuit, not much is radically different. It is just a group of shows following same basic principles, just different producer and revenue streams. These same corps are participating in other shows in the tour, under normal financial distribution structures.

As I remember, this used happen all the time, just it was called DCM, Drum Corps West, Drum Corps East, etc.

This is not that much different than then. Strange to see all these conspiracy theorists here. Seems it is far less sinister or even all that interesting than you think.

• Like 1

People really seem to be missing the fact that the whole MM thing is simply a fiscal experiment on the part of a handful of kid's marching bands. It is not a new circuit, not much is radically different. It is just a group of shows following same basic principles, just different producer and revenue streams. These same corps are participating in other shows in the tour, under normal financial distribution structures.

As I remember, this used happen all the time, just it was called DCM, Drum Corps West, Drum Corps East, etc.

This is not that much different than then. Strange to see all these conspiracy theorists here. Seems it is far less sinister or even all that interesting than you think.

Really, the water's just getting a little bit hotter. I'm sure they won't turn it up to a boil. No need to get out just yet ...

Respectfully, the G7 have broadcast their intentions far and wide. I doubt a series of small steps rather than one giant leap is going to fool many at this point.

To delineate the Music in Motion schedule more precisely:

7 JUL, Sunday - Music in Motion (PA, but show is Raiders, Bluecoats, Boston, Phantom, Cadets, other show in IL)

YEA has run used the name "Music in Motion" on several shows in previous years. This July 7 show is one of those and is a normal tour event on the DCI tour. It is not really a part of this discussion.

Quoting DCI's 2013 announcement: "Beginning on July 11 in Warrensburg, Mo., this event series will also make stops in DeKalb, Ill., Round Rock, Texas, Murfreesboro, Tenn., Charlotte, N.C., East Rutherford, N.J. and Buffalo N.Y."

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=32f8d801-9d97-4552-a057-ba808894d6f5#ixzz2DZUTNxnO

I can't find where the name for this series has been announced yet. It is being referred to here on DCP as the "Music in Motion" series.

14 JUL, Sunday - Music in Motion only (IL, open class show in CA)

21 JUL, Sunday - Music in Motion only (TX, I&E same day in TX)

27 JUL, Saturday - NightBeat (SC, rest of World Class in AL)

4 AUG, Sunday - Music in Motion (NJ, 7 other World Class corps in Pittsburgh)

5 AUG, Monday - Drums Along the Waterfront (NY, 8 World Class in OH)

These are the events that are being run by the Music in Motion Performing Arts corporation. There are actually 6 shows as this list is missing the July 11 show in Warrensburg, MO.

26 JUL, Friday - Murfressboro show only (no other shows)

I single out the Murfreesboro show because this one has been run by DCI as a top-8 event for many years. It is still listed on the schedule as a DCI Premier event.

If the MM split from DCI then BDB will be the true Blue Devils corps and they should take the name away from Gibbs and just rebuild the whole organization. I never liked Gibbs.

• Like 2

Please tell me you are talking about the New Deal Coalition?

If not... your point is beyond absurd.

Group of kid's marching bands decide to produce their own shows in addition to regular circuit as a fiscal experiment.

Yep, almost Nazis.

I agree, quite a stretch indeed to compare anything related to this topic with Nazi Germany.

But then again, it was your boy Neville Chamberlain who helped get us all into that mess. :tongue:

except the rest of the proposal not implemented yet...ya know, bagging open Class, firing Dan, the rest

People really seem to be missing the fact that the whole MM thing is simply a fiscal experiment on the part of a handful of kid's marching bands.

A fiscal experiment subsidized by DCI.

It is not a new circuit, not much is radically different.

That is not what the G7 proposals have said.

Wait - those were new circuits created with DCI member corps as founding members. Your Freudian slip is showing.

Here is why this is not a valid analogy. The regional circuits had an actual mission that did not create a conflict of interest with DCI. They served a great number of other corps competing in these regions, not just subsets of DCI corps. Membership was open to all the corps in the region, not just a pre-selected few. And back then, DCI and their corps did not want the entire season administered by DCI. Regional circuits filled that gap.

This seven headed animal currently under development for the 2013 season is just a subset of DCI corps forming a private club, looking for a way to defy the DCI pay scale by running their own DCI subsidized pseudo circuit. That is a conflict of interest with the other DCI corps.

• Like 2