What happens next?

unless DCI is cheaper...and let's face it....emotion comes into it. If I'm a sponsor, and I see your corps going off to do some super show that eliminates any chance of seeing you again, I'll take my business elsewhere.

(man this thread makes your repeat yourself -- A LOT.)

half of the MiM shows are the normal home show for one the MiM corps. another one is Murfreesboro. so there are 3 shows that could have the effect you mention above. and even then -- it would pretty much be shooting yourself in the foot. if DCI is cheaper *and* better, TEP will use them. not sure that's the case though.

as for emotion -- if you're running a show, you're interested in getting butts in seats (quality and ease of use) and making a buck (affordability). shooting yourself in the foot by choosing ticketmaster just to spite someone ? no -- i don't think so.

Edited by corpsband

(man this thread makes your repeat yourself -- A LOT.)

half of the MiM shows are the normal home show for one the MiM corps. another one is Murfreesboro. so there are 3 shows that could have the effect you mention above. and even then -- it would pretty much be shooting yourself in the foot. if DCI is cheaper *and* better, TEP will use them. not sure that's the case though.

as for emotion -- if you're running a show, you're interested in getting butts in seats (quality and ease of use) and making a buck (affordability). shooting yourself in the foot by choosing ticketmaster just to spite someone ? no -- i don't think so.

maybe the corps run some of those shows...but dates have switched.

And Mike, you want to take emotion out, but that's human nature. may not always be good business sense, but hey......that's the way the world works.

( oh yeah...I did see your stuff about some of the corps running their own shows. there's more to it than that. calendars can change

• Like 1

No. You missed the point.

DCW, DCE, DCM used to all run their own shows that were separate from DCI shows. They set their own lineups, they collected the money and they distributed it how they saw fit.

All these new shows are is a return to that model.

It completely baffles me that the guys doing these shows didn't simply make that argument in presenting them to the more rabid segments of fans. A little proper communicate here could probably go a long way.

Anyway, these shows are nothing radical and nothing new... just a clear return to the past in some ways.

Daniel Ray advocating a return to the past? Seriously?

Perhaps this is a return to the past....when top corps fled to wherever the biggest prize money was, and boycotted the rest....and when corps couldn't stitch a practical tour together in all that chaos.

DCI was formed to address those challenges, and create a stable environment for a couple of dozen touring corps. Anyone opposed to that is free to advocate leaving DCI and doing something else....but please, just admit your opposition to the concept. This one-foot-in, one-foot-out act is not helping.

The mission of DCI is to return as much money as possible to the member corps. Nothing more.

False (i.e. the last two words).

People also somehow see this group of shows as something designed to split off of or replace DCI. It was simply incorporated separated as some single legal entity needs to hold agreements, liability and receive revenues from these shows.

OK, that is hilarious. It's not designed to split off, it's just separate? And since DCI is perfectly capable of "receiving revenues from shows", creating another entity to receive show revenue is quite obviously "replacing DCI" in that function. :doh:/>

Also, guys... how do you forget that the amount of money we're talking about here is ####-all? The whole crux of this argument is about corps receiving $3,000 a show vs. $2,000. um... yep, this is a big money conspiracy.

Wrong again. Already have reports on another thread about show pay of $5000 for a TOC show vs. the usual $2600 appearance fee.

Be real people... there is NO money in drum corps shows.

That's not what the 990s say. And if there is no money in drum corps shows, why do the G7 want to run drum corps shows themselves? :doh:/> :doh:/>

Also, if you say that these corps that are doing independent shows are taking money away from other corps who are performing at other DCI shows on the same nights.... (which do you think will make more money Charlotte or Huntsville?), then you are admitting that these corps have considerably more of a draw than others. If you don't believe this... then what is the argument?

That extra DCI money is being directed to these "special shows". That benefits the G7 at the expense of the other member corps. :doh:/> :doh:/> :doh:/>

• Like 2

My boy? I think you may be a bit confused.

I'm not British, not Conservative and he died decades before I was even born.

Oops. Thought you were British.

You have that cold, calculating, aloof manner about you. :ph34r:

But if you were British, he's still be your guy. Like Hitler will always be Germany's guy. But not the G-7's guy. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

10-Cent Beer Nights.

All but guaranteed to sell out most, if not all, drum corps venues.

Sure, most of the crowd would know nothing about drum corps... and there most likely would be chaos and mass arrests... but if you want a sure-fire cash cow, there it is. :ph34r:

FYI of interest to readers of this thread, I posted a summary of some new documentation of the G7 incorporating as Music in Motion over in the other thread.

Summary: David Gibbs registered "Music in Motion Performing Arts, Inc" on April 19, 2012, and the Colts have learned that "G7 is now a non-profit, incorporated entity; G7 shows with only their corps now being scheduled."

Now, it's possible that the corporation is just the necessary legal entity to function as show sponsor for the MiM shows. However, I have to assume the corps are being reimbursed at a non-standard rate for these shows. So this is where DCI's by-laws would need to kick in. As this seems to be a non-DCI-approved method of generating additional revenue for these corps, does that structure, in any way, violate the DCI agreement, if those shows are DCI shows, but not subject to the DCI payment system?

I can't think of any way the rules could be written that would prevent a non-profit from organizing shows, committing certain corps to perform at those shows, and "donating" excess proceeds of those shows to non-profit entities, in particular to the participating corps. Certainly, that's essentially how corps-sponsored shows work already.

I guess the one aspect where the G7 is pushing the boundaries here is in the scheduling process. It's not clear to me how much say each corps traditionally has in determining their own schedules. I suspect that brinkmanship comes into play here, where if DCI refused to list the G7 shows on their schedule or tried to schedule the G7 corps for other shows, the G7 could be threatening to pull out of other DCI shows and increase the number of their own shows.

Could this be stopped? I think only if the other corps unanimously opposed it and were willing to let the G7 split off, would they cease being able to push DCI around on this.

However, this proof of MiMPA,Inc having been set up to organize these G7-only shows utterly proves that all seven of the G7 are fully on board with the idea. So please, no more promises that the Cavies are reluctant partners or anything. After their finish last year, they are probably even more on board with the idea. :ph34r:

Edited by skywhopper

unless DCI is cheaper...and let's face it....emotion comes into it. If I'm a sponsor, and I see your corps going off to do some super show that eliminates any chance of seeing you again, I'll take my business elsewhere.

In some locations there is an opportunity for DCA here

They have been getting bigger over the last 10-15 years, and moving out of their traditional/core northeastern territory

FYI of interest to readers of this thread, I posted a summary of some new documentation of the G7 incorporating as Music in Motion over in the other thread.

Summary: David Gibbs registered "Music in Motion Performing Arts, Inc" on April 19, 2012, and the Colts have learned that "G7 is now a non-profit, incorporated entity; G7 shows with only their corps now being scheduled."

Can someone who really understands non-profits please explain to this curmudgeon biologist the nuances of non-profits as incorporated in the US??

What I am getting at is some non-profits are more profitable (or move/make more $$, or pay their staff & employees more,etc. ) than others. Or at least seem to. I know that Garfield is doing stellar work with the financial statements (I certainly will buy him a beverage of his choice if I ever have the opportunity). I am more looking to understand the why behind all this turmoil