What happens next?

....having been involved in running shows one way or another for almost all of my life,...I can tell you that tickets sales alone have NEVER covered all expenses,............you need a LOT local sponsors/partners that take years to develop the base group, and then continue to pursue more each year,..........also, you need the program book adds, concession proceeds, bake sale donations, plenty of show staff/volunteers,........all of this is had enough to pull off with local, on the ground folks, let alone trying to do it by remote control,........

• Like 3

You got it, Gary!

Hosting a show is an expensive, enormous task. There's "legwork" for months, at least. CACTSC, I see some things never change, with regard to housing demands. It's an absolute nightmare, You are also correct, the "big names" are the most ridiculous with their demands. I could also tell you behavior stories, unlike most could ever imagine.There were years we housed 50 corps. I don't regret the experience I had, however.

• Like 2

Interesting that people complain so much about various methods of trying to keep drum corps afloat at all. It is an absolute miracle it even exists today at all (90's were ROUGH).

Drum corps should have been dead almost 20 years ago. If in 10 years there are even 20 corps left (who even cares about performance level)... miracle number 2.

Drum corps and economic realities/cultural shift... don't exactly mix.

People need to start to get a dose of realism and become pretty #### happy for where things are at now... with a quickness.... and stop ####### complaining. It lacks perspective of reality and smacks of petty first world problems. There is far more important #### going on in the world to get hung up on G7 conspiracies or that sort of thing.

• Like 4

People need to start to get a dose of realism and become pretty #### happy for where things are at now... with a quickness... and stop ####### complaining. It lacks perspective of reality and smacks of petty first world problems. There is far more important #### going on in the world to get hung up on G7 conspiracies or that sort of thing.

Surely complaining about people complaining is even less important?

• Like 7

People need to start to get a dose of realism and become pretty #### happy for where things are at now... with a quickness.... and stop ####### complaining. It lacks perspective of reality and smacks of petty first world problems. There is far more important #### going on in the world to get hung up on G7 conspiracies or that sort of thing.

Well, it's exactly because drum corps is hanging by such a thin thread that we don't want the G7 to blow it up. Is that so hard to understand? :rolleyes:

Interesting that people complain so much about various methods of trying to keep drum corps afloat at all. It is an absolute miracle it even exists today at all (90's were ROUGH).

Drum corps should have been dead almost 20 years ago. If in 10 years there are even 20 corps left (who even cares about performance level)... miracle number 2.

Drum corps and economic realities/cultural shift... don't exactly mix.

The sky is falling!

Sure... but what if that same local sponsor is so wealthy and so vindictive that he pays off that larger stadium up the road to freeze out the MIM corps and prevent them from running a show anywhere within three states of his? tongue.gif

well hell, that happens now

ph34r.gif

• Like 1

. . . . and then there's the issue of providing corps housing, something TEPs used to provide at their cost.

devil.gif

oh and MIM has to pay for marketing...and I'd assume their super stadiums don't come cheap

• Like 1

Mike, it's not like you to purposely misrepresent the facts, so I'm going to assume you haven't looked at that interview in awhile, and are allowing time to blur your memory of it. Please take another look. You will find:

1. Corps could travel wherever they wished. Their gripe was that appearance fees were not equal from region to region.

2. Said director speculated that one event was probably running at a loss in the one year anecdotally mentioned.

3. There was a difference of opinion among DCM directors about the degree and rate to which new technology should be embraced. Laptops were still luxuries, and smartphones a thing of the future, so relying on e-mail for correspondence even during tour was nice for some and unworkable for others. There were other criticisms about the timing of show contracts and housing arrangements, and vague derision directed at the bookkeeping practices, but to say that the whole circuit was "run on sheets of notebook paper out of the trunk of a car" is just not accurate.

And frankly, it was philosophy that prevented any sort of compromise. The director interviewed, speaking on DCI's behalf, contended that granting the all-age corps any kind of membership or voting rights in the DCI-operated region was not even on the table for negotiation because of some sort of philosophical belief that DCI-the-youth-organization could not legally allow that.

yet DCI now has all age corps as members....go figure

Yes - as I said, we are required to provide one night. 99% of the time, that is the night before (or part of the night - sometimes a corps doesn't get in until almost daylight) and they leave from the show to go to their next destination. I've never had a corps want their "free" night after the show. We do occasionally host a corps for 2 or even 3 nights - but that is negotiated with the corps.

If the G7 are going to run their own 24 shows next summer, as I've heard, then it will be interesting to see how they do all the housing. It's harder than it looks..... And quite honestly, SOME of the G7 corps are the most DIFFICULT to please in housing. I've only ever had complaints from G7 corps. Never, ever any others. And likewise I've only had complaints from host sites ABOUT G7 corps (and 1 open corps that doesn't exist anymore). So there you go.

Amen. the number of schools in my area that will not house anymore is mainly because of G7 corps.

• Like 3