What happens next?

That's what I meant, CACTSC. Thank you. Taking over a show means (or should mean) taking over ALL expenses, including those expenses once covered on your behalf.

Edited by Fred Windish

Nope. TEPS DO pay for housing costs for one night. (Part of the contract with DCI) If a corps wants additional nights then it is negotiated.

Here is an interesting question for y0u: If a show has 2 DCI WC corps and 4 DCI OC corps, does the the TEP pay for the housing for 'all' corps or just the WC corps?

That's what I meant, CACTSC. Thank you. Taking over a show means (or should mean) taking over ALL expenses, including those expenses once covered on your behalf.

If the TEP is responsible for 'all' show expenses, taking on 'all' the show investment risk, then the TEP should reap 'all' of the show proceeds.

We pay for all corps housing. Doesn't matter what class.

So, it states in "The DCI Contract" that you, the show TEP, have to pay for all corps housing, even the OC corps if it is a mixed WC/OC show?

Edited by Stu

So, it states in "The DCI Contract" that you, the show TEP, have to pay for all corps housing, even the OC corps if it is a mixed WC/OC show?

Straight from the contract that I just received last week:

"a) Corps housing locations must be communicated to the corps by no later than May 1.

b) The TEP shall provide suitable housing and rehearsal facilities (as further set forth herein) at its expense for each participating drum and bugle corps for at least 24 hours prior to, or the night of, the event."

(It then goes on to explain "suitable housing and rehearsal facilities")

• Like 1

I think Fred is on to something here. This all quite possibly could be the start of a new, streamlined, indoor product.

It seems to me if they wanted a streamlined indoor product, they could start such subgroups, partner with WGI to develop the rules and the circuit, and go from there. Then if outdoor summer drum corps is determined to be a waste of their money and time, they can phase out their DCI corps. They're obsessed with their brand equity, well, call your indoor drum corps by the same name, no one will be unhappy about that.

My complaint is that they're hijacking DCI and taking advantage of the goodwill of the other corps in order to run an experiment that is designed to benefit only them. Feel free to experiment, but don't abuse DCI's and the fans' good faith to do so.

• Like 4

Straight from the contract that I just received last week:

"a) Corps housing locations must be communicated to the corps by no later than May 1.

b) The TEP shall provide suitable housing and rehearsal facilities (as further set forth herein) at its expense for each participating drum and bugle corps for at least 24 hours prior to, or the night of, the event."

(It then goes on to explain "suitable housing and rehearsal facilities")

Interesting wording within the contract because the word 'or' (see bold for contextual reference) is a powerful word; if this is the way the contract is worded it actually means that a TEP does not have to provide housing for the the various corps as they pull into town between midnight and daylight as long as the TEP agrees to provide housing to those corps the night of the event.

Edited by Stu

Interesting wording within the contract because the word 'or' (see bold for contextual reference) is a powerful word; if this is the way the contract is worded it actually means that a TEP does not have to provide housing for the the various corps as they pull into town between midnight and daylight as long as the TEP agrees to provide housing to those corps the night of the event.

Yes - as I said, we are required to provide one night. 99% of the time, that is the night before (or part of the night - sometimes a corps doesn't get in until almost daylight) and they leave from the show to go to their next destination. I've never had a corps want their "free" night after the show. We do occasionally host a corps for 2 or even 3 nights - but that is negotiated with the corps.

If the G7 are going to run their own 24 shows next summer, as I've heard, then it will be interesting to see how they do all the housing. It's harder than it looks..... And quite honestly, SOME of the G7 corps are the most DIFFICULT to please in housing. I've only ever had complaints from G7 corps. Never, ever any others. And likewise I've only had complaints from host sites ABOUT G7 corps (and 1 open corps that doesn't exist anymore). So there you go.

• Like 2

Yes - as I said, we are required to provide one night. 99% of the time, that is the night before (or part of the night - sometimes a corps doesn't get in until almost daylight) and they leave from the show to go to their next destination. I've never had a corps want their "free" night after the show. We do occasionally host a corps for 2 or even 3 nights - but that is negotiated with the corps.

If the G7 are going to run their own 24 shows next summer, as I've heard, then it will be interesting to see how they do all the housing. It's harder than it looks..... And quite honestly, SOME of the G7 corps are the most DIFFICULT to please in housing. I've only ever had complaints from G7 corps. Never, ever any others. And likewise I've only had complaints from host sites ABOUT G7 corps (and 1 open corps that doesn't exist anymore). So there you go.

CACTSC, I just sent you a PM...