2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

Absolutely Fran, great food (and beer!) selection...and that is what's really important, now isn't it? smile.gif/>

the truth is all the people i know that go to DCA don't care about the show. they go to drink beer and to socialize. so yeah it's important.

the truth is all the people i know that go to DCA don't care about the show. they go to drink beer and to socialize. so yeah it's important.

Show???? Is that what those signs in the hotel are for??

s/ guy who only drinks during first half of Prelims so he's clean by the time he drives back.... but knows where the WalMart is from the hotel....

Well if it's back to Rochester I can scare the Hell out of more locals by hanging a left out of the stadium and driving Lidell(sp?) to the Interstate after the show.

"OMG.. SIR... SIR... you don't want to turn that way!"

"Why... it's the way I came up?"

"Not the best section of town"

"Didn't look that bad last year"...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well, it wouldn't because the rule doesn't allow it. But your insulting pot-shot at Cadets2 just makes you look like an ignorant toolbox. Who's to say Reading, or Empire, or Cabs won't be leading the charge when electronic instruments do become legal? I bet Statesmen in particular would jump at the chance to work that sort of thing into their program, and I have no doubt it would be done really effectively.

But your point of "Hop is evil, boo Cadets, blah blah" is really getting tired...

see Empire 2001 with Bob Scott's intro during the pre show.

Man I wish someone had a tape of Ran Abate's version of that

• Like 1

Then why have drum corsp at all? Because a synth can fill ALL parts.....by your own logic, you won't need ANYONE opn the field playing music, you will just need the visual performers and all the sound will come from speakers....oh wait, we already HAVE that.... it's called WGI!

I was being sarcastic. The 2010 Madison Scouts were touting their 20 piece Tuba line that year and everyone was all excited to hear what 20 tubas would sound like. They sounded just like a synth because the darn think covered them up quite nicely.

After I saw their show I wondered why they spent so much on Tubas.

Who's to say Reading, or Empire, or Cabs won't be leading the charge when electronic instruments do become legal? I bet Statesmen in particular would jump at the chance to work that sort of thing into their program, and I have no doubt it would be done really effectively.

I'm gonna piggyback off this portion of your post, John, and probably open another can of worms in the process... LOL:

I have long thought that DCA/all-age corps could handle something like vocal narration better than DCI corps... because DCA corps, without the age limit, could hire a professional announcer to do the narration, live. (Not that I'm applying for a summer gig here... but ya never know... :tongue:)

We already have one example of that... with the Statesmen's Rat Pack intro in 2001 handled live by Bob Scott, a radio pro. I thought it was very well done.

(And I'm proud to say I was his "board op" for Prelims and Finals that year in Syracuse. :thumbup:)

OK... ducking for cover now from my anti-electronics friends... LOL

The announcement said they received many bids. I would be interested to know what other cities put in a bid.

I'm interested as well. By sharing what cities submitted bids it'd give the ticket-buying fans an opportunity to see what cities are interested which may be a catalyst for more people to get involved. For example, if I knew a city close to me submitted I'd be prompted to contact those people and ask what I could do to help with future bids. I'm sure there are many others who'd jump in and want to help in their locales as well. Not knowing who the cities are submitting bids could possibly be limiting the grassroots efforts in areas.

• Like 1

I'm interested as well. By sharing what cities submitted bids it'd give the ticket-buying fans an opportunity to see what cities are interested which may be a catalyst for more people to get involved. For example, if I knew a city close to me submitted I'd be prompted to contact those people and ask what I could do to help with future bids. I'm sure there are many others who'd jump in and want to help in their locales as well. Not knowing who the cities are submitting bids could possibly be limiting the grassroots efforts in areas.

My thought on this wasn't so much which cities bid as why their bid was not as attractive. More to work on to improve chances for later. Hope DCA relates this info back to the bidders...

Yes, I certainly hope DCA gives constructive feedback to all the bidders and share that same data with the DCA Member Corps. Transparency can be a beautiful thing.

Yes, I certainly hope DCA gives constructive feedback to all the bidders and share that same data with the DCA Member Corps. Transparency can be a beautiful thing.

Definitely, kinda like the difference between catching Hell from an instructor for screwing up and being told what the mistake was so you can correct it.

"OK I mugged up.... wanna tell me what I did wrong?"

• Like 1

Well, it wouldn't because the rule doesn't allow it. But your insulting pot-shot at Cadets2 just makes you look like an ignorant toolbox. Who's to say Reading, or Empire, or Cabs won't be leading the charge when electronic instruments do become legal? I bet Statesmen in particular would jump at the chance to work that sort of thing into their program, and I have no doubt it would be done really effectively.

But your point of "Hop is evil, boo Cadets, blah blah" is really getting tired...

:ph34r:/>

Thanks for the compliment John..I said nothing about Cadets 2..I inferred that the YEA folks would more than likely be instrumental in initiating the expansion of the use of amplification beyond the "pit".

As to who might jump on the bandwagon, hell - I wouldn't be surprised if my own group wouldn't either start it or be in line early..I guess that "It's all George's fault" has become the common denominator.

BTW - when it comes to BIG changes, remember who the first corps to switch to Bb/F horns in DCA..Probably the LAST group the old school DCA fans thought would switch..HAWTHORNE!!

So because I'm "an ignorant tool box", I want to assure you that my opinion about using amplification for voice, I would prefer they didn't..My friend John Mayer has little problem getting his voice to project in most venues, and if he did, he could do like the Matadors did about 30 years ago, and the Renegades did in 2004(?)- use megaphones!!

Sorry you see my "pot-shot" as inappropriate..I'm sure those that know me thought it was funny..as it was meant to be..

blah, blah, Hop is evil, Cadets2 suck..etc.. :tongue:/>

Enjoy your day.. :w00t:/>

Pat