Indoor Drum Corps

Hey folks, it has been a while! Got an interesting question for you.

If you were in charge of making a world class indoor drum corps activity, how would you run it? What rules would you impose? What goals would you have for the activity?

I present this question in-part, because I am co-founding/co-directing a brand new ensemble with these thoughts in mind. Our group is called Royal Sound Indoor Marching Ensemble. You could check us out at facebook.com/royalsound.ime for closer specifics.

We know that similar activities have been done before. From our research, these groups have basically turned into inside marching band, complete with drumlines and a guard. You can also make a case for Blast! and similar ensembles for bing "indoor" drum corps.

Our vision is for this activity to be geared towards musicality and execution. Essentially, the ensemble should be able to play a symponic winds piece straight off of the original score, just with added music. In prevention of an overwhelming percussion section, we will only be allowing a small concert percussion. No moving percussion, with a strict 5:1 marching member to percussionist ratio. Because our ensemble is scholastic, we have decided to allow woodwinds and brass players. No electronics. One thing we are stumped on is rules about guard. We don't want flag line's while still understanding that with movement, the whole ensemble will also be dancers to an extent.

If our ensemble were a DCI World Class Corps, what else would yuo suggest?

Thanks!

Jon

I don't have much experience as far as indoor marching brass goes, but I have a hesitation about your approach.

It seems like you have a very specific vision for where you want this to go. However I'm not sure that specific vision is appealing to all the different programs out there. For all I know, DCI does not require a specific ratio from brass to percussion to guard. The ensembles themselves seem to find a good balance. If right off the bat you'd make it a rule to make the ensembles conform to a specific sound, I don't think it will go far. Start broad, let different ensembles try different things. Give the judges the responsibility of keeping the quality high.

What if an ensemble wanted a marching snare soloist for a performance of Bolero? Or a guard duet to tell a story (without loosing musicians to acting responsibilities)? Or a piano soloist?

Imagine if every ensemble came in and performed something musically thrilling, visually stunning, AND had something different to offer. For instance, So and So High School in Scholastic A is known for crazy fast wind players and cool visuals, while So and So Community College is known for face-melting brass and clean beats.

But I guess that's not what you're going for. This really is just my first reaction, but I'd fear your vision would just turn into concert band on the move, and what's the appeal? Kids who have done marching band all fall are doing concert band... those two activities alone cover everything this activity seems to offer.

OR...

maybe go the opposite way.

(I do love new ideas and why not dream a little?)

As I think about what would be different about the activity, it kind of makes me wonder what COULD be different? What if it wasn't even strictly marching? What if you gave this ensemble the floor, and said, "The rules are, you must perform this much time of music, and present ______) Involve drama departments? Even Choirs. More or less, we're getting into the realm of "Competitive Musical Production" lending the activity to infinite creativity. I know that I'm just throwing out crazy ideas that are probably of no value to you, but my point is, if you're going to do something, why not do something big, something new?

Well, now that I have strayed away to a distant land to which nobody will follow, I think I'll end by just saying this.

How will this change people? (educate, build up, inspire) If you have an answer to that question, I figure you're on the right track...

Edited by 5thbassman
  • Like 2

ask DCI. They are currently running an Indoor Drum Corps circuit that tours nationally. Unfortunately, some of the events are outside due to lack of venue, but they are working with what they have.

So, let me get this straight...

Because drum corps in outdoor stadiums is dying, the activity is moving indoors. But because there are few indoor venues that fit the vision, they're back outdoors again?

And being back outdoors forces them to creatively "work with what they have"? And this is expected to bring success?

Gee, I wonder if this approach would work with the activity we have now?

:blink:/>/>

(Not directed at you, soccerguy, more at the idea and circular logic of the mentality.)

Sorry, back OT...

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I've thought for a while that WGI might be a grand place for such an experiment.

They currently support Winter Guard and Winter Percussion. Why not a Winter Brass (or Winter Winds).

Their Scholastic vrs Independent as well as A, Open World would allow various levels and types of groups to perform.

Allow primarily marching Brass (winds), with a rhythm section in the pit.

This seems a natural extension for WGI.