Carolina Crown 2013

Well, with 23 brass trophies I think BD is the corps to beat in that caption.

True story. But they also have quite the head start on a corps like Crown. Crown made Finals for the first time in 1995, at which point BD already had 7 titles. So even while they are the corps to beat, I think Crown is quickly becoming the corps to beat in the brass caption. Not to diminish the accomplishments of the Blue Devils at all, they have had some amazing brass lines in the past.

• Like 6

Well, with 23 brass trophies I think BD is the corps to beat in that caption.

You're right. Obviously Crown's wins in the caption are complete flukes. If I was the brass caption head of any of the top 12 corps, I wouldn't be giving Crown a second thought when it comes to beating them in brass performance. That they've consistently been able to crack into the Top 5 overall since 2008 and have taken the Ott home 3 of those years is no cause for notice.

Nothing to see here.

Back to your regularly scheduled, BD-is-da-bomb-####-in-everything-and-have-rings-and-trophies-to-back-it-up programming.

• Like 7

Although history is important, the current trend is Crown is the brass beast and BD is the corps beast to beat. Special

mention to Cadets (only team able to beat BD recently). Since this is a CROWN thread, I will say they have great momentum

moving forward as they attract huge talent in brass which means at least 80 mature marchers and brass players on the field.

It becomes the burden of the design team at this point and I think they get better every year at this task.

• Like 2

You're right. Obviously Crown's wins in the caption are complete flukes. If I was the brass caption head of any of the top 12 corps, I wouldn't be giving Crown a second thought when it comes to beating them in brass performance. That they've consistently been able to crack into the Top 5 overall since 2008 and have taken the Ott home 3 of those years is no cause for notice.

Nothing to see here.

Back to your regularly scheduled, BD-is-da-bomb-####-in-everything-and-have-rings-and-trophies-to-back-it-up programming.

And bd has won the Ott 3 times since 2007.....

I do believe crown puts their brass a lot higher on the priority list than bd does (in terms of design).

That being said, both corps have fabulous brass lines.

• Like 2

Although history is important, the current trend is Crown is the brass beast and BD is the corps beast to beat. Special

mention to Cadets (only team able to beat BD recently). Since this is a CROWN thread, I will say they have great momentum

moving forward as they attract huge talent in brass which means at least 80 mature marchers and brass players on the field.

It becomes the burden of the design team at this point and I think they get better every year at this task.

Cadets were the only team to beat bd at finals, but they were beat by at least 1 more corps throughout the year in 11. :p

Edited by TheClutch

Nothing to see here.

No one said they're flukes or ill deserved, but they're not divine.

And you and I and everyone else on DCP know that such programming is very far from regularly scheduled. Plus, I think you just dismissed the seldom BD praise of awards and wins right after pointing out Crown's own awards and accomplishments of placement.

Edited by TESB

I'm in ABQ...

Anyone from Albuquerque?

From Crown FB:

Help from any drum corps fans. California here we come...but Crown needs a housing site with rehearsal stadium in or near Albuquerque, NM on June 18th while heading west. If you know someone who is a band director or stadium contact please send an email to nancy@carolinacrown.org.

No one said they're flukes or ill deserved, but they're not divine.

And you and I and everyone else on DCP know that such programming is very far from regularly scheduled. Plus, I think you just dismissed the seldom BD praise of awards and wins right after pointing out Crown's own awards and accomplishments of placement.

I don't recall anyone saying that Crown's brass is devine either.

And the programming does tend to be quite regular when ever BD's dominance in any caption is "threatened" by another corps. At least here on DCP. Nothing against the corps; they're actually starting to make a believer out of me. But if there's a comparison between BD and another corps, the argument by the homers tends to default to their rings/trophies/etc. No one disputes their past accomplishments or that they're a continued force in every caption every year. But woe is corps that starts to challenge them.

And I point out Crown's accomplishments merely because they're a relative newcomer to the "big boys" club. No offense to you personally, but you've been on this forum for less than year. The BD-accomplishment-parading is not all that seldom in these situations.