surround settings for DCI?

Thanks to wifey and Christmas, I now have a blu-ray player (after having gotten the DCI blu-rays the last couple years). Threw in 12.25 to test it out.

For those with surround sound setups, what setting do you use for DCI? (I have a Pioneer 5.1)

• Like 1

Thanks to wifey and Christmas, I now have a blu-ray player (after having gotten the DCI blu-rays the last couple years). Threw in 12.25 to test it out.

For those with surround sound setups, what setting do you use for DCI? (I have a Pioneer 5.1)

First, the blu-ray player should be connected to the TV and the Pioneer receiver. If the player has two HDMI outputs, you could use one for the TV and one for the receiver. That's the most straightforward way (you'll need two HDMI cables). The video will go straight from the player to the TV and the audio will go straight to the receiver. If there is only one HDMI output, run it to the receiver and another HDMI cable OUT of the receiver to the TV. That way is actually a little easier since you only have to change the source on the receiver to watch a blu-ray. In the past that could create problems with the "handshake" between the blu-ray player and the TV since the signal goes through the receiver on the way. That could be a problem if it's an older receiver. If the receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs/outputs, you'll have to use the analog audio connections (6 cables for 5.1) between the player (if it has them) and the receiver. HDMI and analog audio outs are the only way to experience the dts-HD Master Audio that is on the blu-ray discs. If you are using an optical (Toslink) or coaxial digital audio connection between the player and the receiver, you will only get the compressed "core" Dolby Digital audio. Hopefully you have HDMI all the way around.

If that's the case, the only setup issue is whether to have the player output the "bitstream" audio via HDMI for the receiver to decode, or to have the player decode the dts-HDMA and send out "PCM" audio via HDMI to the receiver. Either way should give equivalent results. However, you can only output bitsteam if the receiver is capable of decoding it. If it is a newer model, it should be no problem. If it's older, it may not be able to decode all or any of the high-resolution "lossless" audio formats found on blu-rays like dts-HDMA or Dolby TrueHD. If that's the case, set the player to output 5.1 PCM audio via the HDMI connection. The player will then decode the dts-HDMA to PCM (which the receiver can use) and send that out.

Then, make sure you choose dts-HD Master Audio in the setup menu on the blu-ray when you watch the DCI discs. In fact, with any blu-ray disc, choose one of the following with your setup (depending what is actually on the disc): dts-HD Master Audio (5.1), Dolby TrueHD (5.1), or multichannel (5.1) PCM audio. As long as your system is calibrated properly (that's a whole 'nother topic), just sit back and crank 'er up!

Enjoy!

Shawn

• Like 2

Thanks for the info!

But what I'm looking for are what some of you folks use as your listening setting for DCI viewing. e.g., rock, classical, etc.

None of that applies for discrete multichannel audio found on blu-rays and DVDs. Those setting are a relic from the "old days" when only stereo source material existed. It was a way of artificially creating different types of "ambience" in a multi-speaker listening environment from two-channel material. NONE of those settings should be used with discrete multichannel source material.

Shawn

• Like 3

You know - We have a fairly basic JVC theater in a box with a 55" HDTV and I just put it on the "Movie" setting in 5.1 surround and it fills my living room with sound. Don't see the need for anything fancier than that. Perfect for the Drum Corps Blu-Rays.

Edited by CQuinn
  • Like 1

You know - We have a fairly basic JVC theater in a box with a 55" HDTV and I just put it on the "Movie" setting in 5.1 surround and it fills my living room with sound. Don't see the need for anything fancier than that. Perfect for the Drum Corps Blu-Rays.

Exactly what I was thinking. :thumbup:

• Like 1

None of that applies for discrete multichannel audio found on blu-rays and DVDs. Those setting are a relic from the "old days" when only stereo source material existed. It was a way of artificially creating different types of "ambience" in a multi-speaker listening environment from two-channel material. NONE of those settings should be used with discrete multichannel source material.

Shawn

You are all over it, Shawn! The discs are mixed to shine on an acoustically flat system, with all speakers balanced to the same level. That should put the listener somewhere right around the drum major's podium. Remember, too, that there are both Dolby AC-3 and DTS HD Master Audio on the blu-rays. The DTSMA gives you more bandwidth and a smoother dynamic range while the Dolby is a little more compressed. Either way, if at all possible, you want to use a discrete decoding option as opposed to a "manufactured" decoding scheme.

Hope everyone enjoys them!

• Like 6

Instead of cheap little plastic boxes all over the room I have two really good speakers in thick wood cabinets finished in Walnut. Sub woofer? hahahahaha it's called a woofer period!